Notifications
Clear all

Scouting

Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Greetings Coaches

Kinda excited, tonight the H.S. begins a 4 day clinic for the Youth Leaguers.   This is the 4th yr, but 1st I’ve been able to attend more than one night.   I’m mostly excited about being able to scout up-coming kids, but also getting a chance to pick the brains of the HS HC and his staff. 

Scouting-wise – this is our 1st yr without an experienced RB returning.  We’d drafted a couple kids last season to play at Guards with the intention of moving them to the backfield this season.  One worked out well, and we anticipate good things from him this season, the other…  well, he is fearless, played a solid OT for us as the smallest kid on the team, but unless his attention span and focus improve, he’ll be on Defense and the OL for us again this yr.  As is our habit, in blow-outs we let the OLine kids get some carries, and he ran silly every time, losing yards every time.   So, we’re looking for RB’s.   We generally look for a playmaker in the 1st rd, and OG’s in the 2nd and 3rd (OGs whom we expect to be RBs in the future).

HC thinks the upcoming kids from the Pee Wees (7U) are short on RB talent, and I've heard another coach say the same, so what little there is will be long gone before we draft (last, again).  So, this season, scouting may be more important than ever.  Not that its ever un-important. 

A major difference between HC and I is, he wants to score in 3 to 5 plays.   Longer the drive, more opportunities to break down in his opinion.   Whereas I love loooonnnnnggggg drives.  If we have the ball you can’t score.   I’m kinda hoping that the lack of RB talent is off-set by an abundance of OLine talent. 

twice (different schools, years apart) the HS I was coaching at had a very large Varsity, and decided to have an intra-squad scrimmage under the Lights.   Both times it was decided to put the 1st string backfield with the 2nd string OL vs the 1st OLine with the 2nd string backfield.   Both times the 1st string Oline / 2nd string backfield dominated.  To the point where some parents of 2nd string backs thought their kids had earned starting status.  For me the take-away is that the OLine is where the game is played.  If early reports about lack of RBs coming up (who knows what kind of talent will show up that hadn’t played Pee Wee ball) is true, and the OL talent is there….   I’m intrigued by the possibilities.

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions or advise RE:  needing RBs and the lack of them in the draft,  I'm all ears.   Thanx

I’ll be putting on my scouting cap, grabbing my binoculars, and my notebook, and hope to see good things tonight and thru the week.

This topic was modified 1 month ago by Coyote

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze
Topic starter  

OK, this should be interesting...   about half the kids in the league were there, and about half of those will be in the draft.  So, about half the kids we draft we won't see during camp.  Of the draftables, I saw 3 kids with what would be considered 1st round talent.   None I would rate 2nd round.  And 5-6 I would consider 3rd - 4th rounders.  Hoping a lot more talent will show during the combine.   We're going to have to really scout carefully to maximize our results from the draft.   At the moment, it appears to be a bad yr to draft last.  We're really going to have to coach 'em up to be competitive. 

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @coyote

Longer the drive, more opportunities to break down in his opinion.  

--Your HC is correct.  You just have to decide whether you're designing a vehicle that can be driven for 150,000 miles, or just 150 laps.  Most youth teams aren't designed for many plays/short yards; they're designed to hope that something breaks big.

Whereas I love loooonnnnnggggg drives.  If we have the ball you can’t score.   I’m kinda hoping that the lack of RB talent is off-set by an abundance of OLine talent. 

--I don't really care about o-line "talent."  The job they need to perform successfully isn't predicated on talent but on coaching.

For me the take-away is that the OLine is where the game is played.

--It's certainly where it's won/lost.

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions or advise RE:  needing RBs and the lack of them in the draft,  I'm all ears.

--We did a draft for 7-9s (Pop Warner Mitey-Mites) three years in a row (because we had two teams of that age group).  I was terrible at identifying talent.  I kept my draft lists so that I could compare them at season's end to see if my top choice had been my best player, whether my second choice was my second best, etc.  What it proved was that I had no business eye-balling talent.  Kids I thought who were going to be good were just fair.  Kids that I didn't choose highly did very well.  Our drafts were always 50/50 (you choose, then I choose, then you choose, then I choose...etc.). All three years, I gave the other coach the first pick in every round (so that I didn't have to hear him complain that I drafted the best players ahead of him).  We went 8-0, 8-0, 8-0 in those 3 years.  The other team went 4-4, 5-3, 6-2.  It didn't matter that the other team drafted first.  It didn't matter that I couldn't identify talent in a 3-day scouting phase.  We just coached it to the best of our ability.

--Dave  

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

Coyote liked
ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions or advise RE: needing RBs and the lack of them in the draft, I'm all ear

First ide ask what kind of running back you are looking for.  If you want the kid who can run all over the place and there's a lack of that, you may need to find the servicable running back, which is my favorite. 

Haven't used that fast rb as a main RB in a long time althought they're nice to have they normally don't like to run inside where the majority of my runs go. 

I like to use Clarks "hit" score first weight/sprint squared. 

I also play very close attention to any change of direction drill shuttle run, cones, ladders.  I look for the best feet of the group.  

Again all very scheme dependant, I'm looking for a kid with burst and physicallity for 10 yards, the rest is extra.  

I'm anyone can play running back, not everyone can play oline 😉

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions or advise RE:  needing RBs and the lack of them in the draft,  I'm all ears.   Thanx

Instead of worrying about what they can't do, worry about what they can do. For example, you might have a kid that isn't necessarily fast, but he can get you 4 or 5 yards per carry running up the middle. Similarly, you might have a "smurf" that's not big enough to run the ball often, but would be able to take a reverse to the house against an aggressive defense. 

In other words: think of each kid as a weapon and figure out what they can already do -- and where you can coach them up.

It's also been my experience that there will be kids that surprise you once you strap on the pads. No one -- including my RB coach -- thought much of my RB's in 2018 after drills. But both of them ended up on the All-Star team because they worked their tails off and did everything we asked of them.

Coach Terry

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

My kingdom for a kid who will carry the ball 10 plays in a row then get mad at you for giving him a breather.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Coaches,

Appreciate & enjoy your thoughts, anyone else I'm all ears.   

Dave

Most youth teams aren't designed for many plays/short yards; they're designed to hope that something breaks big.

I coach the kids up for long drives, preach the love of long drives, build for the long drive and when you break one big it feels like a bonus.  When the other team has the kids (speed) to prevent the long play, and we have to go the long way, its just what we prepared them for...

Dave

--I don't really care about o-line "talent."  The job they need to perform successfully isn't predicated on talent but on coaching.

But, you gotta admit, talent make us all look like better coaches.  😎   We usually "hide" a couple of our late rounders at the OT's.   Couple yrs, one of our OT's has been the smallest kid on the team.  We can live with that, with good technique, good angles, sound scheme and a good heart.  We've been pretty good the last few yrs, but if I ever get 5 legit OLineman (The OLine is my baby) our league won't know what hit 'em.    

FWIW, for us, an average sized kid with quick feet is better than a big kid with slow feet.   Put quick and big together...  Katy bar the door. 

Posted by: @bucksweep58

First ide ask what kind of running back you are looking for. 

We're a wing-T team, 4 back attack, we love the versatility it gives us, we can, and have, used all kindsa kids successfully.  Everything from bulldozers, to one-cut slashers, to scat backs, we got a place for 'em.  Our bread and butter most seasons has become Buckshort (Instead of sweeping to the outside, the design is to cut up in the C gap) lots of RB types can take advantage of that play.   Being Wing-T, we generally put our best RB at the FB because he'll get the most carries over the course of the season.  What I personally look for is the kid's feet.  Does he move well and look comfortable doing so.  And desire.  Does he want the ball?    We have no weight restrictions for ball carriers so there is no concern there.

I'm anyone can play running back, not everyone can play oline 😉

We tell our Oline they were chosen for their superior intelligence and good looks.  We let the ugly kids carry the ball b/c they need to feel special. Always gets a laugh.  

Most of our league seems to treat Oline as an after thought, a place for overweigh non-athletes, its where they put the left-overs.   I believe the disservice they do to the kids is one of the reasons for our success.   

Posted by: @terrypjohnson

It's also been my experience that there will be kids that surprise you once you strap on the pads.

We've found this to be very true.  Seems every yr, a couple kids get switched around after our Jamboree.

Posted by: @gumby_in_co

My kingdom for a kid who will carry the ball 10 plays in a row then get mad at you for giving him a breather.

Being a 4 back attack, we like that attitude, too.  When their number is called, they put some extra juice in there.  We let the kids know that come game time, we go with the hot hand, whoever is having the better day is going to get the ball a lot. 

Coaches, really enjoy your thoughts and comments, whether they challenge or corroborate our own, its always good to get someone else's thoughts.   Thanx

This post was modified 1 month ago 2 times by Coyote

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

If you're wing t it might help to revisit the dcwt player selection model.  There's drills and evaluations also in dc46 that will help

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

Coyote liked
ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

If you're wing t it might help to revisit the dcwt player selection model.  There's drills and evaluations also in dc46 that will help

Along those lines I believe Clark would say something like ...."If you have a Guard, you have a Fullback".    In these days of Spread all passing Offense or Sweeps.  Contrarian is a pounding ground game with a FB who is the Hammer rather than the Anvil.  That way when the "Not So Fast" RB gets the ball he has the advantage of Surprise!     just sayin   (twists mustache) 

I would also add that some guy named Jack said that Fast is relative to about 20 yards.  Anything after that is Gravy! Because we know so many coaches who complain about the running back not getting it to the house after popping off a 20 yard run!     

This post was modified 1 month ago by Dusty Ol Fart

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

Coyote liked
ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze
Topic starter  
Posted by: @youth-coach

...."If you have a Guard, you have a Fullback".   

Yep, that's us.  When we can, we like to find our RB's in 3rd grade and have them play OG the 1st yr then move them to the backfield in 4th grade.   Last season our QB and FB were OG's the year before.     For us, its "No block, No Rock"  if a kid wants to tote the ball, he's gotta block, too.  After a season at Guard, we believe we get better blocking from our Backs.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

All O coaches like long drives, because it gives them more feeling of control.  Come to think of it, so do D coaches, same reason!

This post was modified 1 month ago by Bob Goodman

Coyote liked
ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze
Topic starter  
Posted by: @bob-goodman

so do D coaches, same reason!

Not so sure....    4 times in my career we've held our opponents to a total 3 or 4 plays for an entire half, we used up the entire half on 2 drives.  Once H.S. (had a 17 minute opening drive and added a 15 minute drive in the 2nd half), once Middle school, twice Youth (3rd & 4th grade).    Every time coaches on the other side ended up quarrelling and worse. the middle school guy got fired - started cussing at the kids and their parents in the stands - came unglued   One youth league DC got demoted by his HC and I don't think he's been a DC since. 

This post was modified 1 month ago 2 times by Coyote

CoachDP liked
ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

4 times in my career we've held our opponents to a total 3 or 4 plays for an entire half, we used up the entire half on 2 drives.  Once H.S. (had a 17 minute opening drive and added a 15 minute drive in the 2nd half), once Middle school, twice Youth (3rd & 4th grade).    Every time coaches on the other side ended up quarrelling and worse. the middle school guy got fired - started cussing at the kids and their parents in the stands - came unglued   One youth league DC got demoted by his HC and I don't think he's been a DC since. 

Have seen this several times myself.  

Conversely, in all the times I've watched us score points in the AirRaid, I have yet to see that type of drama unfold on the opposing sideline.  Man, how I miss the Double Wing.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

Coyote liked
ReplyQuote
Share: