Notifications
Clear all

Slow Oklahoma, 2 Board, 3 Cone, and Black Flag

C-Rob
(@tso1696)
Gold
Topic starter  

Challenging some of our o-line drills this year and I went back to Michael's clinic and I was once again reminded of his O-line drills.  Of course one of Zach's post the other day about 3 cone got me started down that path.  Any how, just curious how valuable Slow Oklahoma, 2 board, 3 cone, or Black Flag has been for those that have utilized it.

Also, for those that have used Slow Oklahoma have you tried adapting it for Running Backs to help teach Stalk Blocking?

On-line Youth Football Coaching Clinicshttp://www.coaches-clinic.com/

ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

Posted by: @tso1696

Challenging some of our o-line drills this year and I went back to Michael's clinic and I was once again reminded of his O-line drills.  Of course one of Zach's post the other day about 3 cone got me started down that path.  Any how, just curious how valuable Slow Oklahoma, 2 board, 3 cone, or Black Flag has been for those that have utilized it.

Also, for those that have used Slow Oklahoma have you tried adapting it for Running Backs to help teach Stalk Blocking?

Yes, we used slow oklahoma with running backs and receivers. Just have to set up the situation correctly. 

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
C-Rob
(@tso1696)
Gold
Topic starter  

@bucksweep58 could you elaborate if it isn't too much trouble concerning slow oklahoma with RBs?

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

I've changed my mind on Slow Oklahoma. I still think that in a vacuum, it's a great drill to teach blockers to be tenacious through the whistle. However, Mahonz pointed out that on the defensive side, I was teaching defenders to play slow. I took a step back to observe and realized that he was right, so I took it off the menu. Instead, I'll run Oklahoma (or drills like it) at full speed and implement "2 whistle" to teach everyone to play hard until the drill is truly over and not when they think it's over.

I do run 3 cone with dozens of variations to either address a gap in our blocking or to reinforce something I see in a game situation.

Never heard of Black Flag.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
C-Rob
(@tso1696)
Gold
Topic starter  

@gumby_in_co curious why do feel that is teaching the D to play slow?  

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

@gumby_in_co curious why do feel that is teaching the D to play slow?  

The way I run it, I don't trust kids to be the RB. Despite how much I tell them to walk, they end up sprinting because they want to "win" the drill. So I carry the ball and walk. What I noticed is that the defenders will eventually "post up" on their blocker, playing "peekaboo" and waiting for me to come to them. This is 100% contrary to our goal of having 11 defenders arrive at the ball at full speed with anger in their hearts.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

@bucksweep58 could you elaborate if it isn't too much trouble concerning slow oklahoma with RBs?

Sure. If we an Iso style block or second level block with rb vs lb we would simulate this.  So think angle tackle drill where 2 players meet at a point we do this but they meet in a lane marked by flat cones so no one trips.  Once contacted is made I start walking to the lane from where the Rb first began.  So of he's good he's blocking for 8-10 secs bc I'm slow and don't wear shoes

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
tiger46
(@tiger46)
Bronze

@gumby_in_co

I also stopped running the ball.  I started using MPR's to run the ball. We use the drill during OL time. I discovered one of our best tackling safeties that we've ever had in that way.  He was a small kid that gained so much confidence from learning to run the ball that he no longer feared hitting or getting hit. I put him on defense and his shin destroying 'ankle-bite' tackles put fear in RB's! 🤣 

“It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men. ”  ― Frederick Douglass

ReplyQuote
Share: