Notifications

Spring Practice  

RSS

Vince148
(@vince148)
Gold
October 5, 2017 2:27 pm  

How long does it last? What do you normally do?

davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond
October 5, 2017 5:20 pm  

Youth ball
We don't do anything
We let them work on other sports

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
October 5, 2017 6:09 pm  

Mid March to the first week of June.

Not sure what you mean by what do you normally do?

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Vince148
(@vince148)
Gold
October 6, 2017 2:37 am  

Mid March to the first week of June.

Not sure what you mean by what do you normally do?

Is it primarily conditioning and drills? Is this when most teams install their O & D?

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
October 6, 2017 3:42 am  

Is it primarily conditioning and drills? Is this when most teams install their O & D?

Oh....no its a full League with a practice schedule and games just like the Fall only a bit shorter in overall length.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Seabass
(@seabass)
Gold
October 6, 2017 9:59 am  

We have a spring league as well.....I have never coached in it but it is an actual season with a 6 game schedule and playoffs.

ReplyQuote
Vince148
(@vince148)
Gold
October 6, 2017 10:21 am  

So what would High Schools that have spring practice be doing?

ReplyQuote
Coach Brad
(@coachbradfromcanada)
Bronze
October 6, 2017 12:28 pm  

From my experience, the same as the fall season, just shortened. When I played our Spring season was 6 weeks of practices and scrimmage finished with a league-wide Jamboree.

Might be helpful for us to know why you are asking, what information you are looking for and what your situation is.

ReplyQuote
Vince148
(@vince148)
Gold
October 6, 2017 1:25 pm  

Might be helpful for us to know why you are asking, what information you are looking for and what your situation is.

Working on a plan to get early signups. Maybe have something like one week of practice to go over basics and install some O and D. Start creating some excitement before LL baseball starts and get early commitment.

ReplyQuote
Seabass
(@seabass)
Gold
October 6, 2017 1:40 pm  

The HS's around here get 2 full weeks of official practice. At the end they play a jamboree style mini-tournament. What they do with their 2 weeks of practice depends on the program. The crappy programs, like the one my son plays in, runs tons of offense and scrimmages everyday.

I'm guessing the good programs use their time a little more wisely.

ReplyQuote
blockandtackle
(@coacharnold)
Silver
October 6, 2017 7:45 pm  

In HS we get 2 weeks.

Normally, we install a very stripped down offense and defense.  I'm talking maybe 3 or 4 runs and a handful of passes, with base defense and a couple of blitzes and coverages on that side.  Very basic.

The focus is on teaching fundamentals, but we also use it to get a feel for what we've got coming back and maybe try players at new positions.

We practice and end with a scrimmage.

It's a good time to experiment with new things and try to keep kids motivated going into the summer.

After the spring, we use what we've seen in the spring to get together and hold a draft with the coaching staff.  Offense gets the first 2 picks, then defense gets the next 11, then offense goes until we run out of serviceable bodies and we have to play some defensive starters on offense, too.  This helps us minimize the number of guys we have going both ways.

ReplyQuote
Seabass
(@seabass)
Gold
October 7, 2017 11:34 am  

Coacharnold- you said you guys focus on fundamentals, install enough to hold a scrimmage and use those 2 weeks as a discovery process.

That's what I thought I was going to see with my son's Freshman team. Instead they put in almost ALL of their offense, spent ZERO time tackling and scrimmaged the JV, live on the 3rd day, 4th and 5th day.

They had 10 spring practices and didn't tackle, outside of scrimmages, one time!!

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
October 10, 2017 10:33 am  

We had spring clinic in the North Bronx Youth Sports Ass'n & later in the Bronx Warriors.  No gear, maybe not even cleats.  It was considered a recruiting tool in each case, once or twice a week, lasting for months.  It was partly to advertise the club, no dues, no pressure to join -- sometimes even said to improve skills for other sports.  We did use footballs for some things, but normally just stuff related to agility or strength (tug of war).  The last season I was with the Warriors, 2016, Chief Jay made it look a little more football-like, doing sumo with padded hand shields, and I think our president that year introduced the use of a tackling dummy too.  In the Warriors, nothing in the spring was organized according to team, even if a large proportion were returning players.

I haven't asked yet what the Newton Braves do for spring.  Probably just cooperate with the lacrosse club.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
October 11, 2017 5:15 am  

After the spring, we use what we've seen in the spring to get together and hold a draft with the coaching staff.  Offense gets the first 2 picks, then defense gets the next 11, then offense goes until we run out of serviceable bodies and we have to play some defensive starters on offense, too.  This helps us minimize the number of guys we have going both ways.

CoachArnold, so your draft determines who plays where in the Fall?

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Share: