RSS

Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
May 12, 2016 7:30 pm  

1) The latest and greatest Offense or Defense! (Infomercial Overload Galore)
2) Putting Adult Pressure on young kids (they already have enough)
3) False Expectations (Yours!)
4) Ranting and Raving about Dumb Sh*t at half time! (Focus on what's next)
5) Wasting valuable time thinking/ranting about the previous play!  (its over you cant change it)
6) Screaming at kids like a raving Looney.  (Its your fookin fault, not theirs!)
7) Hollering at them Post Game!  (They know they lost dumbarse! Be Constructive....)
8) Refusing to accept the blame! (Should be Number 1?)
9) Failing to Teach (Win or Lose). 

Add On here........

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

darthdaddy17
(@darthdaddy17)
Bronze
May 12, 2016 10:33 pm  

Adding new plays when the old ones are still broken
Giving up on your players

Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit. -Vince Lombardi

ReplyQuote
Ronin
(@ronin1974)
Gold
May 13, 2016 4:31 am  

Focusing all of your attention on the top players and ignoring the ones that need the most coaching.

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
May 13, 2016 5:29 am  

Players beat scheme, players play the game. Develop your players fundamentals, skill, and confidence.  Don't worry so much about the lines of paper

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
Coach E
(@coache)
Gold
May 13, 2016 6:55 am  

5) Wasting valuable time thinking/ranting about the previous play!  (its over you cant change it)
6) Screaming at kids like a raving Looney.  (Its your fookin fault, not theirs!)
7) Hollering at them Post Game!  (They know they lost dumbarse! Be Constructive....)
8) Refusing to accept the blame! (Should be Number 1?)

Add On here........

I think #9 should be #1

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.- Marcus Aurelius

ReplyQuote
SingleWingGoombah
(@singlewinggoombah)
Gold
May 13, 2016 7:07 am  

Number  smiley face is a huge one.  A bad coach will never become a good coach until that changes. 

I like Coach Cal's philosophy, a win is on the players, and a loss is on the coach. 

ReplyQuote
bignose
(@bignose)
Silver
May 13, 2016 7:09 am  

Trying to "out coach" the guy across from you instead of teaching your kids to outplay his kids.

You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles!

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite
May 13, 2016 7:10 am  

Number  smiley face is a huge one.  A bad coach will never become a good coach until that changes. 

I like Coach Cal's philosophy, a win is on the players, and a loss is on the coach.

I've seen him coach three practices.  It was a lot of fun.  And I learned a few things.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
May 13, 2016 7:24 am  

Trying to "out coach" the guy across from you instead of teaching your kids to outplay his kids.

BN

We have an quote we use " We don't want to beat the man coaching but the boy playing"

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
Coach Smith
(@mpd5123)
Silver
May 13, 2016 3:49 pm  

Focusing all of your attention on the top players and ignoring the ones that need the most coaching.

I 100% agree.  I have always said if you want to get the most out of your team put more time in your other players the top 10% of players probably won't go up much but the bottom 90% have alot more room for improvement through coaching.  MPP's are like the bottom of the lineup in little league.  If the bottom of the line up does well in a game getting on base when the top of the line up comes back around and hits them in it can really change a game. 

check out http://www.coaches-clinic.com/If any thing goes bad, I did it. If anything goes semi-good, we did it. If anything goes really good, then you did it. That's all it takes to get people to win football games for you. ~Paul Bear Bryant

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
May 13, 2016 4:03 pm  

Adding new plays when the old ones are still broken

Not always to be avoided!  Sometimes you realize the old one was a bad idea.

ReplyQuote
Coach Wayne145
(@coach-wayne145)
Bronze
May 18, 2016 4:40 am  

K.I.S.S kep it simple stupid the less the kids are thinking the more agressive they become that's offense and defense .

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator
United States
May 18, 2016 5:15 am  

This took me about 2 years to understand. There is a ton of coaches (some have been on this site for a while) that still are looking for the magic bullet.

I am happy to say this is one that I don't ever think I did. I put a lot on myself and let the kids have fun. Practice was hard so the game didn't have to be

Of course I expected to win everygame or at least we prepared like it, but back to the above no pressure to the kids during game time.

Did this the first year. I found that the refs were mostly the target of mine the first year. Thankfully I realized quickly they were changing nuttin so I tried to smile more and thank them for helping

I have never been that guy but seen it quite often on the other sidelines. I loved it when the players thanked me for NOT coaching like the "other coach over there"

again Im not much of a hollerer. I talk and coach loud but its motivational and positive. post game is all about the good things Isaw and "where we going for ice cream"

8 ) Refusing to accept the blame! (Should be Number 1?)

I accepted blame every game loss, even when parents said otherwise I always could have prepared the better

This is supposed to happen I hope no "Coach" ever forgets this part

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum
May 18, 2016 5:40 am  

All good thoughts. I might add:
- always be humble.  If you are good, there is almost always someone better.  If you are the best, there are people looking to knock you off.
- avoid expecting less of yourself than you do of your players.  Too many guys are a-holes in practice with mis-matched expectations when they don't put in much effort in preparation themselves

ReplyQuote
Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum
May 18, 2016 6:44 am  

K.I.S.S kep it simple stupid the less the kids are thinking the more agressive they become that's offense and defense .

What's interesting is that my views on KISS have changed over time. I know what kids are capable of now.

Deaths while walking 4,743Deaths from football 12

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: