Notifications
Clear all

Things to Avoid 101 (add to)

Page 2 / 3

gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

* Punishment laps or pushups in the middle of a game
* When a kid screws up in a game, making a point of telling everyone within shouting distance that that's not what you taught him
* Yelling "Whooo!" on a head to head hit
* Cheating in any way shape or form

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

* Punishment laps or pushups in the middle of a game

Lar

I still cant believe we saw that happen this year.

I will add running gas'rs after the game.

Had an idiot AC try that at the semi pro level once.

The players told him to F-off and the AC was fired before he got to the locker room.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Ronin
(@ronin1974)
Gold

Lar

I still cant believe we saw that happen this year.

I will add running gas'rs after the game.

Had an idiot AC try that at the semi pro level once.

The players told him to F-off and the AC was fired before he got to the locker room.

I've considered adding CoD to the post game... not as punishment, but as a reward.  The kids, it seems, love CoD!

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

running gas'rs after the game.

I watched one of the best programs in the history of college sports do that, on the game field, right after they beat Notre Dame in South Bend.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

I watched one of the best programs in the history of college sports do that, on the game field, right after they beat Notre Dame in South Bend.

No thank you !

Its Crunch Bar time.  🙂

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

No thank you !

Its Crunch Bar time.  🙂

I called the coach and asked why they did it and I learned something cool.

Obviously, that's not for everybody.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

I called the coach and asked why they did it and I learned something cool.

Obviously, that's not for everybody.

What about after a loss...as punishment?

Was it an every game thing? A tradition? A trampling of the opponents Home Field one last time?

After a win do cartwheel gas'rs if you'd like.  🙂

ReplyQuote
C-Rob
(@tso1696)
Gold

Telling kids they are gutless after a loss. 

On-line Youth Football Coaching Clinicshttp://www.coaches-clinic.com/

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

What about after a loss...as punishment?

Was it an every game thing? A tradition? A trampling of the opponents Home Field one last time?

After a win do cartwheel gas'rs if you'd like.  🙂

Number of sprints was in reverse order of how much they played, since games cut into conditioning time if you're not playing much.

Kids who played all or almost all of the game had none.  Everyone else lined up and started doing sprints, and the coaches would have kids drop out based on how much they played.  Last kids going were ones who had played very little or not at all.  Kids all seemed fine with it.

ReplyQuote
C-Rob
(@tso1696)
Gold

Speaking to a disgruntled parent immediately after a game.  I always suggest the 24 hour rule to protect both the parent and coach from saying something they might regret. 

On-line Youth Football Coaching Clinicshttp://www.coaches-clinic.com/

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Number of sprints was in reverse order of how much they played, since games cut into conditioning time if you're not playing much.

Kids who played all or almost all of the game had none.  Everyone else lined up and started doing sprints, and the coaches would have kids drop out based on how much they played.  Last kids going were ones who had played very little or not at all.  Kids all seemed fine with it.

Seems reasonable. I was hoping for another one of your FSU Cemetery thoughts but this will do.  🙂

ReplyQuote
Coach Smith
(@mpd5123)
Silver

Things to avoid...

Limiting Kids by what you THINK they can handle, try them they'll surprise you  IE- you can't teach an 8 year old to pitch option-  well that's what practice is for if they can do it then they can if they can't then well then they can't you figure it out and move on.  Every year I have different levels of talent some can do just the basics and others much more.

check out http://www.coaches-clinic.com/If any thing goes bad, I did it. If anything goes semi-good, we did it. If anything goes really good, then you did it. That's all it takes to get people to win football games for you. ~Paul Bear Bryant

ReplyQuote
Patriot
(@patriot)
Silver

Things to avoid...

Limiting Kids by what you THINK they can handle, try them they'll surprise you  IE- you can't teach an 8 year old to pitch option-  well that's what practice is for if they can do it then they can if they can't then well then they can't you figure it out and move on.  Every year I have different levels of talent some can do just the basics and others much more.

100% this.

I wish I had a dollar for every time I have heard "kids can't do" something.

They can do more than you think. They are sponges.

ReplyQuote
Patriot
(@patriot)
Silver

Telling kids they are gutless after a loss.

Also 100% agree with this being wrong. Kids may (and at times do) play lethargic but if you can't correct that after a few plays, that's on the coach.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Things to avoid...

Combine that with KISS and you really have something.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: