Notifications

What's the one drill you feel you can't live without?  

Page 1 / 3
  RSS

C-Rob
(@tso1696)
Gold
January 1, 2018 3:49 am  

If you could run just one drill in practice, what would it be and why?  Since I have been coaching the little guys for the past couple of years and want to teach them the value of the football, it would be Coach Potter's Whose Ball Drill. 

On-line Youth Football Coaching Clinicshttp://www.coaches-clinic.com/

MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
January 1, 2018 5:00 am  

C-Rob

If I could only run one drill we probably wouldn't be very good.

If you held my feet to the fire, I would choose Tunnel Tackling. It's a 3 level drill so I could see a lot of blocking & tackling.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
C-Rob
(@tso1696)
Gold
January 1, 2018 5:03 am  

C-Rob

If I could only run one drill we probably wouldn't be very good.

If you held my feet to the fire, I would choose Tunnel Tackling. It's a 3 level drill so I could see a lot of blocking & tackling.

Joe

Any diagrams?

I'm assuming something like this:

ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator
Virginia
Middle School
Only / Head Coach
January 1, 2018 5:06 am  

If you could run just one drill in practice, what would it be and why?  Since I have been coaching the little guys for the past couple of years and want to teach them the value of the football, it would be Coach Potter's Whose Ball Drill.

I don't like picking only one, but if I had to, I would pick a drill that covers as many skills as possible: probably an Oklahoma type drill where I could coach tackling, blocking, blocking destruction, handoffs and ball security all in the same drill.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
January 1, 2018 5:10 am  

Jack’s Enduro (“Circle of Death”).  The best conditioning/toughness/team-building drill there is.

—Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
January 1, 2018 7:22 am  

C- Rob

Ding Ding! you got it. The only difference for us is we don't widen the Tunnels. We usually will run 6 stations of Tunnels in the Spring, 4 varsity & 2 JV.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
January 1, 2018 8:59 am  

Let's imagine you're in a league where that's the rule: Each team can make up 1 drill, & that's the only practice they get to do all season -- same drill, over & over.

Then it'd have to be scrimmagelike, since that's the only way they could work on multiple skills.  So a multi-player or whole-team Oklahoma.  Or even let them play a game w each other all practice long, but you get to shuffle the players around & pull them aside to tell or show them things in ways that wouldn't count as drilling.  And of course you officiate.

How else could anyone possibly do this?  You play whose ball, they don't learn to block, tackle, pass, receive, etc.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
January 1, 2018 9:03 am  

Any diagrams?

I'm assuming something like this:

Huh.  That YouTube link didn't show up until I quoted.  I assumed you were making a joke, that it was an unlit tunnel (especially since I'm viewing with a black background).  😀

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
January 1, 2018 11:54 am  

12 perfect blocks hands down

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
bigshel
(@bigshel)
Gold
January 2, 2018 6:20 am  

Slow Oklahoma

ReplyQuote
center
(@center)
Copper
January 3, 2018 4:35 pm  

Fit drill. Use it for offense and defense, line and backs. Teach kids leverage, pad level, leg drive.

ReplyQuote
coachdoug
(@coachdoug)
Gold
January 3, 2018 11:44 pm  

As Joe pointed out, this is kind of a ridiculous premise - if you really could only run one drill, you probably wouldn't be very good.  And, if that really was the constraint, you would likely be relegated to scrimmaging all practice long as this is the only "drill" that incorporates all points of the game, but if you're really asking what drill provides the biggest cost/benefit tradeoff, then I would agree with Joe - the 3-level Oklahoma (we call it the Vandal drill) is the best - it gets a minimum of 7 players in the drill and works blocking (line drive, back on LB, and WR stalk blocking), block shedding, tackling, pursuit, ball disruption, and ball carrier elusiveness all in one drill.

Video clips: www.youtube.com/footballcoachdougFacebook Page: www.facebook.com/footballcoachdoug

ReplyQuote
C-Rob
(@tso1696)
Gold
January 5, 2018 1:03 am  

As Joe pointed out, this is kind of a ridiculous premise - if you really could only run one drill, you probably wouldn't be very good.  And, if that really was the constraint, you would likely be relegated to scrimmaging all practice long as this is the only "drill" that incorporates all points of the game, but if you're really asking what drill provides the biggest cost/benefit tradeoff, then I would agree with Joe - the 3-level Oklahoma (we call it the Vandal drill) is the best - it gets a minimum of 7 players in the drill and works blocking (line drive, back on LB, and WR stalk blocking), block shedding, tackling, pursuit, ball disruption, and ball carrier elusiveness all in one drill.

My intent was to find out the one drill a coach feels he can't do without and not to suggest that there would possibly be a situation where you were constrained to just one drill. 

ReplyQuote
C-Rob
(@tso1696)
Gold
January 5, 2018 1:04 am  

I've changed the subject of the post to hopefully be a little clearer. 

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
January 5, 2018 4:45 am  

C-Rob

I semi sorta get the idea, just that I think it almost becomes really a product of are you the HC, OC, DC, or a position coach?

The DC may want team pursuit as the drill he can't live without, while the DB coach votes for Spot Drill, the LB's coach votes for a Shed Drill, & the DL coach wants his 2on1 Drill.

The OC wants team Run, the Oline Coach wants first step, the RB Coach wants the Gauntlet, the WR Coach wants 7on7.

Joe

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: