Notifications
Clear all

What's the one drill you feel you can't live without?

Page 2 / 3

angalton
(@angalton)
Platinum

C-Rob

I semi sorta get the idea, just that I think it almost becomes really a product of are you the HC, OC, DC, or a position coach?

The DC may want team pursuit as the drill he can't live without, while the DB coach votes for Spot Drill, the LB's coach votes for a Shed Drill, & the DL coach wants his 2on1 Drill.

The OC wants team Run, the Oline Coach wants first step, the RB Coach wants the Gauntlet, the WR Coach wants 7on7.

Joe

Explained like this, the results could be extremely helpful.

The greatest accomplishment is not in never failing, but in rising again after you fail.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

IMHO this is the reason for EDD's, I know I have to have my EDD's before any position group can function in a team setting. The EDD's will always change according to what Scheme's you are running, but they are something you need on a daily basis. Next comes the conviction to run your EDD's from day 1 until your last practice.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

My intent was to find out the one drill a coach feels he can't do without and not to suggest that there would possibly be a situation where you were constrained to just one drill.

Okay. That makes much more sense.

Tough to answer for our team. We do a lot of team and teach as we go. If we see a need, we'll indy's or group drills to shore up a weak area. Having said that, we'll be going heavier on indy's/position/group when we pick up our 2nd graders. I'll be flying by the seat of my pants when that happens.

One drill we couldn't do without? Probably our angle tackling drill. Mahonz calls it Tee Time, but it's different than DP's Tee Time.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator

12 perfect blocks hands down

OOOHH good one

I was going for My Ball  or Whose ball whatever you wanna call it

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

So much of answering this depends on what you are doing as a team. A UBSW doesn't need to worry about rides & reads. A flexbone team doesn't worry about combo blocks as much as true doubles. A read & react defensive team needs to focus on the reads. A read on the run team needs to work on running to the ball. The list is endless, it really will depend on the type team you are.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

So much of answering this depends on what you are doing as a team.

Yes, but I would use Jack's Enduro regardless of what scheme we used.  I think there are some universal drills that we would take with us, wherever we went, regardless of scheme.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

DP

I get that, there are some that are universal. There are others that simply don't fit certain teams. IMHO there are so many drills, the important thing is to run the drills that the team you are coaching needs.

Joe

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

DP

I get that, there are some that are universal. There are others that simply don't fit certain teams. IMHO there are so many drills, the important thing is to run the drills that the team you are coaching needs.

Joe

Agree.  I think the OP was asking what drill's you'd use, regardless of scheme.  When I coached youth ball, I'd use Whose Ball, Tee Time, The Gauntlet, etc. regardless of scheme.  In high school, I've shelved Tee Time completely, Whose Ball mostly, and Gauntlet somewhat.  Jack's Enduro has stayed through the test of time (and scheme). 

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

DP

In coaching youth we always did Miami Tackling circuit, Stance & Starts(positional), Team Pursuit, & Signal Drills. We used those regardless of scheme.

Joe

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

In coaching youth we always did Miami Tackling circuit

Joe, where can we find that?

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

DP

I call it that because I got it from Randy Shannon when he was the DC for the U. It is a 3 tiered drill, starting on the Player's knee's, then progressing to an Angle Tackle, lastly to an Angle tackle with a strip.

Joe

ReplyQuote
Shaggyd99
(@shaggyd99)
Bronze

Jack’s Enduro (“Circle of Death”).  The best conditioning/toughness/team-building drill there is.

—Dave

This

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

I detest drills where players are standing around. This is one of my issues how we practice here. I understand it is a numbers thing, but it still drives me insane.

In Youth we were in constant motion, we practiced at a frantic yet controlled pace. This is why we loved the Miami Tackling circuit. We had 3 groups moving constantly. There was no standing around, instead it was constant movement & teaching. Same with Stances & Starts. Many coaches feel that is only needed early in the season. IMHO it was important we did it every day.

Joe

ReplyQuote
Spyder89
(@spyder89)
Bronze

DP

I call it that because I got it from Randy Shannon when he was the DC for the U. It is a 3 tiered drill, starting on the Player's knee's, then progressing to an Angle Tackle, lastly to an Angle tackle with a strip.

Joe

I actually did basically this exact 3-tier drill once a week this season. 

- Ray

- Ray

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

Ray

When we were at MH we did it everyday, by the second week it took less than 10 minutes. I would be frustrated early because it took so long the first few days.

Dynamic Warmup, Miami Tackling, & Team pursuit were our first 18 minutes of practice everyday. I always wanted us in motion. I really pushed my coaches to coach during this period fast & effective.

Joe

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: