Notifications

What's the one drill you feel you can't live without?  

Page 3 / 3
  RSS

Spyder89
(@spyder89)
Bronze
January 5, 2018 11:35 am  

Ray

When we were at MH we did it everyday, by the second week it took less than 10 minutes. I would be frustrated early because it took so long the first few days.

Dynamic Warmup, Miami Tackling, & Team pursuit were our first 18 minutes of practice everyday. I always wanted us in motion. I really pushed my coaches to coach during this period fast & effective.

Joe

Joe,

Everyday would have been perfect.  Had we not had such a limited schedule, ridiculous amounts of field cancellations, and limited staff, I would have done it everyday.  There has been years where I did it once to open practice and once to close it out.

It's amazing how well the first two tiers improves tackling confidence with youth.  By the end of the year, the kid who was scared to hit (or be hit), was hitting anyone and everyone.  He said that this drill was the reason he was able to get over his fears and be confident that he could take down anyone with proper form and technique.

- Ray

- Ray

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
January 5, 2018 11:37 am  

Ray

We had the same experience. Even our weaker players became tacklers by the seasons end.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond
January 5, 2018 2:04 pm  

I'm a sucker for Sumo.

Our buck sweep drill is cool, lot of moving parts. Wind up working on pretty much everything related to football except passing.

It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
January 5, 2018 3:08 pm  

I'm going to answer the reworded Q in the same spirit as I did the original.  Any drill I could live w/o in any given practice session.  But if you're asking which drill I'd be most put out by if the league wanted to ban it, it'd be angle tackling.  I could be bothered by a ban on a lot of drills, but that one the most, because I think kids learn so much by it on both offense & defense that's important to the game.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
January 5, 2018 4:42 pm  

Okay. That makes much more sense.

Tough to answer for our team. We do a lot of team and teach as we go. If we see a need, we'll indy's or group drills to shore up a weak area. Having said that, we'll be going heavier on indy's/position/group when we pick up our 2nd graders. I'll be flying by the seat of my pants when that happens.

One drill we couldn't do without? Probably our angle tackling drill. Mahonz calls it Tee Time, but it's different than DP's Tee Time.

Im surprised no one has mentioned Team a their one drill.

Dinosaurs.  ;D

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
January 5, 2018 7:31 pm  

Im surprised no one has mentioned Team a their one drill.

Dinosaurs.  ;D

Ridiculous to think you can learn to play football by ... playing football. 😉

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
tbmckie
(@tbmckie)
Copper
October 5, 2018 12:49 pm  

How can i get a video of "Circle of Death"  I am more then intrigued. 

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
October 5, 2018 5:32 pm  

How can i get a video of "Circle of Death"  I am more then intrigued.

You'll need to PM me.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3
Share: