Notifications
Clear all

When do you stop evaluating your players?

Page 1 / 2

Shamrocks
(@shamrocks)
Gold
Topic starter  

I am coaching 7th grade and appear to be getting back teh same crew, our RB has been our RB for 5 years, our MLB was our rock for 5 years and so on.

When do you stop, or, modify your evaluations the first few days of practice?

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

In youth ball, our players changed positions frequently from year to year and even over the course of the season.  That's because we never stopped the evaluation process.  If a lineman were carrying the football in a tackling drill and did well, he could find himself carrying the ball the next week.  That happened where "jumbo packages" were installed for guys who may be showing something new in Week 6 that they weren't showing at all in Week 2.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

We try to get to right before the first game. I don't like moving players to a new position in season unless it is injury driven. Too much to teach to start over in the middle of your schedule. But sometimes things change. We change starters regularly. We have moved tackles to te or te to tackle, blocking back to guard. That sort of thing. From one year to the next, you can't just plug guys in the position from the season past. Especially as puberty is kicking in full gear. Your mpr right tackle could be a stud pulling guard this season or even your qb. We have moved players around alot when a new season starts. Our best move ever was moving our stud wing/rb to wide receiver and our full back to wing/rb. The new rb ended up being our best rb ever and the wide receiver was maybe our best player ever and will end up with a big time d1 scholarship(he has offers from a handful of top 25 programs).

ReplyQuote
CoachBrian
(@coachbrian)
Gold

I never stop evaluating.  I've found hidden gems if you will as late as 4 or 5 games into the season.  Just last year I had a kid that was a very good DB....had some interceptions and was a really good tackler.  In practice I tried him out at DT once and he just blew past the OL every play.  Tried him there the next game and never looked back.  No one could stop him on the line because he was so quick and aggressive.  Coming into this fall, I have no clue where he is going to play.  I am going to evaluate him all over again to see where he helps us the most, and keep evaluating all season.

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond

I don't stop evaluating talent until the championship game. Players change with coaching.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
bigshel
(@bigshel)
Gold

Never stop evaluating your players.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Put me in the never column as well.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
coachgregory
(@coachgregory)
Platinum

I am coaching 7th grade and appear to be getting back teh same crew, our RB has been our RB for 5 years, our MLB was our rock for 5 years and so on.

Never stop.  It is part of finding out who is developing and who can earn a starting spot. 

Jack

Exsisto Fortis, Exsisto Validus

ReplyQuote
Pearls of Wisdom
(@pearls-of-wisdom)
Platinum

NEVER!  Players should get better as the season goes along, & some will SURPASS those ahead of them!

My Contact Info: Coach Bill Mountjoy phone: 804-716-7038 EST /  Email: butzadams@hotmail.com

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond

Never
At the youngest age groups development isn't linear
It varies quite a bit
In 2012 My 3rd team QB ended up being my starter the last 3 games- thanks to the Darrin Slack QB materials and some Jedi Mind tricks  ;D
As kids age up- some stay same size and speed- while others pass them by- 7th grade especially

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

I think what Shamrocks meant was, when do you stop doing drills that are specifically for evaluation purposes, and switch to teaching?  It's not that you stop evaluating the players, but at some point you have to change your focus from evalu'n to teaching.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

Evals are continuous.  I think a huge problem is that coaches get used to things and kids develop expectations based on the fact that things dont change.  By contrast if the kid feels he is being pushed to perform by another kid, the increase is very evident.  😉 

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
flosman
(@flosman)
Silver

Never is the correct answer. IF you want to preach competing you have to actually let the kids compete. Which means sometimes you have an unexpected winner, if you want the kids to continue to compete the new winner has to be rewarded.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Never is the correct answer. IF you want to preach competing you have to actually let the kids compete. Which means sometimes you have an unexpected winner, if you want the kids to continue to compete the new winner has to be rewarded.

Which is why we had "new starters" from week to week.  Complacency can set in when it's the same 11 starting week after week.  But having someone win or lose a job keeps everyone motivated. 

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

Which is why we had "new starters" from week to week.  Complacency can set in when it's the same 11 starting week after week.  But having someone win or lose a job keeps everyone motivated. 

--Dave

The only time I have starters is play 1 of the game.  Otherwise, you're just a guy who won his last rep. or a guy who lost his last rep.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: