Notifications

White board on practice field  

Page 1 / 3
  RSS

CoachMattT
(@coachmattt)
Copper
January 6, 2017 3:05 am  

Anyone use a white board on the practice field to help show players positions or assignments? Maybe clipboard sized?

PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
January 6, 2017 3:10 am  

Yup. I have a clip board size and a 3'x5' in my truck that I set up on my tailgate when introducing new blocking schemes. Use it for scout as well. Chalk it, talk it, walk it.

ReplyQuote
SingleWingGoombah
(@singlewinggoombah)
Gold
January 6, 2017 4:53 am  

I have never done it before, but I am implementing it this season.  Going to try and find a cheap tripod stand for it.

ReplyQuote
COCoachKC
(@cocoachkc)
Bronze
Colorado
Retired
January 6, 2017 7:10 am  

Couldn't coach without one.  I would typically buy a new 18"x24" one every season.  Liked that size as it fit in my shield bag (about the same length and width as the shields I used).  Get a small box for the pens. Glad plastic container works great and is cheap or an old first aid kit box.  Had a few pens leak in my bag before I got a box to put the pens, pencils, eraser and my stop watches in.

Kent

ReplyQuote
Coach Correa
(@coach-correa)
Gold
Head Coach
January 6, 2017 7:15 am  

Everything with me starts on the white board . I have 1 for all situations office ,travel, practice field,and sideline with all accessories lol.

Head Coach Tito Correa New Britain Raiders 14-U

ReplyQuote
CoachMattT
(@coachmattt)
Copper
January 6, 2017 9:36 am  

Do you try to keep white board time short to keep attention span? or break down into smaller groups?

ReplyQuote
Majortom
(@majortom)
Bronze
January 6, 2017 10:31 am  

When I was with another Organization. We sometimes rotated kids to it as part of our preseason agility stations so it would be about 7 minutes. (3-4 stations and 1 is the White board).
Tom

14th year youth coach 7-12 yr olds

ReplyQuote
Majortom
(@majortom)
Bronze
January 6, 2017 10:38 am  

I also brought a whiteboard to several practices the last couple years with the current team I am assisting. I would use it as the practice planner and depth chart so all could see, since my Head Coach was not organized and I hoped it would help.
I normally brought it to games as well so all could see the depth chart and I normally listed and drew up a few of the other teams plays to watch for.
Tom

14th year youth coach 7-12 yr olds

ReplyQuote
CoachOCD
(@coachocd)
Platinum
January 6, 2017 10:51 am  

to be honest I have had kids that pick up on detailed blocking schemes with just repetition and on grass coaching...then you have a few kids that you see a light bulb go on when they see same thing on white board, then they go and do better...then of course you got some that are still chasing butterflies and say "what" a lot

we were installing pass right and left 1, 2 & 3
footwork, roll out etc etc
1 QB was  just all over the place with ball
put out the 3 cones, 1 at each "area" then had 3 dads holding up 2' by 3' white boards, each with a #1 #2 or #3
BOOM instant success, we had an immediate improvement, the QBs knew right away where they were going
besides the dads could run over pick up ball and throw it in to the rotating receiver next to the QBs.(saves field time)
then you just have receivers run in front of number and "intercept the ball".

think we had 22 passing TDs that season with 12 yr olds....worked perfectly
dads had fun, and my players got more reps not wasting time
the passing to the land mark idea of Clarks DCWT is very easy and gets players the ball when they are on the run not standing there....

just another way white boards helped out

ReplyQuote
Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite
January 6, 2017 12:10 pm  

We have a field house that allows us to do such things. My HC doesn't think it is necessary.

Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

ReplyQuote
CoachMattT
(@coachmattt)
Copper
January 6, 2017 1:37 pm  

We have a field house that allows us to do such things. My HC doesn't think it is necessary.

That is my biggest fear is that people will think I am crazy if I get out a whiteboard...
Has anyone ever had a negative backlash to getting out the white board?

ReplyQuote
Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite
January 6, 2017 1:40 pm  

That is my biggest fear is that people will think I am crazy if I get out a whiteboard...
Has anyone ever had a negative backlash to getting out the white board?

They think I am crazy for wanting to put our stuff on a white board and talk our kids through what we want. When you draw plays on napkins, the same plays on napkins in class, at home, or wherever? people are going to consider you crazy. Get use to use to it, and enjoy it.

Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

ReplyQuote
CoachMattT
(@coachmattt)
Copper
January 6, 2017 1:45 pm  

They think I am crazy for wanting to put our stuff on a white board and talk our kids through what we want. When you draw plays on napkins, the same plays on napkins in class, at home, or wherever? people are going to consider you crazy. Get use to use to it, and enjoy it.

I have the "Coachme" app on my phone and tell people im playing a game..  😮

I sometimes can't help but draw up a blocking scheme for plays that come into my head...

ReplyQuote
Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite
January 6, 2017 1:54 pm  

I have the "Coachme" app on my phone and tell people im playing a game..  😮

I sometimes can't help but draw up a blocking scheme for plays that come into my head...

drawing em on napkins is a signal to leave me the bleep alone.

ReplyQuote
Coach Smith
(@mpd5123)
Silver
January 6, 2017 5:46 pm  

Yes I have a 3'X5' that has a stand and folds up and a small 8"X11" I keep in my bag and on the side lines for games.  I use the large one mostly during preseason during water breaks to go over hole and back numbering, formations, plays.  I use it for both offense and defense.  Kids all learn in different ways.

check out http://www.coaches-clinic.com/If any thing goes bad, I did it. If anything goes semi-good, we did it. If anything goes really good, then you did it. That's all it takes to get people to win football games for you. ~Paul Bear Bryant

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: