I formation Core Plays  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

dietritus
(@dietritus)
Copper
July 22, 2018 1:14 pm  

Coaches,
  Need some help. Being a DWinger, our org made some change at the top. This season(only), every weight level can opt to run what ever they like as per the DW.  So for the level I'm coaching this year, the two HC's( two team per weight class) decided on a base I formation. I have never ran this type of formation or any associated variants. Any core plays would be helpful. 

CoachCalande
(@www-coachcalande-com)
Diamond
July 22, 2018 1:34 pm  

Coaches,
  Need some help. Being a DWinger, our org made some change at the top. This season(only), every weight level can opt to run what ever they like as per the DW.  So for the level I'm coaching this year, the two HC's( two team per weight class) decided on a base I formation. I have never ran this type of formation or any associated variants. Any core plays would be helpful.

The I is great....

Iso
Power
Counter tre
Waggle pass
Dive
Dive option
Boot
Belly g
Belly option
Flood/ power pass
Toss sweep
Reverse
Sweep pass
Reverse pass

Alot u can do.

MOJO    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtcRmKnRcsAGo to WWW.COACHCALANDE.COM  for Double Wing DVDs, Playbook, Drills Manuals, Practice footage and emagazines. Ask me about our new 38 special dvds!

ReplyQuote
dietritus
(@dietritus)
Copper
July 22, 2018 4:29 pm  

Coach C,
  Thank you.  Anything helps.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
July 22, 2018 4:55 pm  

Coach C,
  Thank you.  Anything helps.

MHcoach has an I formation playbook in his Section...with discussions.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
dietritus
(@dietritus)
Copper
July 22, 2018 6:58 pm  

Got it. Thanx Coach.

ReplyQuote
dollar
(@dollar)
Bronze
July 23, 2018 3:51 am  

Be great at the Boot.  It will be your best play but it is an expensive play to get right.

I love unbalanced line with I at 10U football.

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
July 23, 2018 4:50 am  

Markham ran the usc power I or what ever before he made 2 wings. Just do it that way.

If not ide look into Stanford's material on xandolabs.com very undepth.

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
July 23, 2018 6:19 am  

Winged-I can present a lot of problems for a Defense. 

You should be able to find the 96 Nebraska Playbook on line.  Great Resource as it has a TON of Plays and their results as an appendix.    My warning is not to get "Play Happy"  Start with 6 plays.

Iso
Dive
Toss
Loaded Option
Trap-Counter

PLAY ACTION PLAY ACTION PLAY ACTION. 

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
July 23, 2018 6:20 am  

I like the I but it really is dependent on one guy.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
July 24, 2018 11:22 am  

Our splits were shoulder to wrist.  Plays I like:

TB lead plays in A, B, and C gaps.  Runner's allowed to bounce 1 hole either way.  Tag for x-block T-E.  Otherwise block MOMA, First Backer Inside if nobody's within that.  Butt toward the hole.

FB in A gap.

Fake FB in A gap and then:

• pitch to TB wide after he takes a half step forward & back
  • pop pass to TE; look for flanker short square-out on that side if TE's held up
  • quick QB keep in opposite A gap (didn't install but should be good)

Pitch sweep, play side G or T pulling around depending which is uncovered.  Hook DE via crab if reachable by that technique.

I'd consider that the core.  Against 10Us there won't be many DL you'd want to try to trap, and our Gs couldn't cover the distance for a true trap anyway, but I installed a "baby trap" for the FB.  Play side G just "catches" DL with his hands while opposite G comes across to double team him.  C cuts a 1 or 2 tech back side.  TB fakes wide.  I designed it for the QB to reverse pivot while the FB delays, although we changed that in practice to a midline step because all our other footwork had him open straight.

ReplyQuote
CoachCalande
(@www-coachcalande-com)
Diamond
July 25, 2018 3:57 am  

I like the I but it really is dependent on one guy.

If you have a kd that can really run but maybe not a blocker or receiver, it makes sense.....similarly, a killer blocker at fullback helps.....

Certainly the I has advantages, uses, benefits....like just about any formation. This year we have small wings....they are all going to struggle as blockers, none are great pass catchers....maybe the I makes sense.

We also do not have an identified stud fullback....i know i can run all kinds of “ double wing plays” from an I set.

MOJO    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtcRmKnRcsAGo to WWW.COACHCALANDE.COM  for Double Wing DVDs, Playbook, Drills Manuals, Practice footage and emagazines. Ask me about our new 38 special dvds!

ReplyQuote
blockandtackle
(@coacharnold)
Silver
October 2, 2018 1:54 pm  

Coaches,

It's an old thread and I guess you've already made your decision, but the I can be stripped down to a very small core and still work:

1.  Power (base everything in the offense off this)
2.  Sweep (for when teams are giving up the edge or the DE is blowing up Power)
3.  Iso (to attack A or B gap bubbles between the tackles
4.  Counter (blocked just like Power to the playside--call it when the BSLB is making the tackle on Power or Iso)

Add a Power Pass, a Bootleg off Counter or Toss Sweep, and maybe some very basic drop back/sprint out and quick passing game and you've got enough offense.  Twins is your friend when it comes to throwing the ball.

That's for an old fashioned "Pro I" like what you see at Michigan and Stanford.  The I itself is an extremely versatile platform that can be adapted to wide open tasing attacks or even option football.

If you coached DW, you can coach the I.  The blocking translates exactly.  The big thing is to put your best runner at TB and feed him the ball.  The QB still needs to be a threat, either throwing the ball or passing it.  The backfield angle for the backfield changes, though.

On Power, have the TB aim for A gap and jam it in there if there's a hole.  This sets up the blocks and allows it to break big when A gap is filled and he bends it off tackle.  FB should step up into the line on a "banana path" to basically get to sniffer depth like in the DW.

You want to run Counter to the TB by having him "counter step" away from the play, then bend it back to playside A the other way.

Have your QB run the "hockey stick" path with a Power Pass fake on Power (influences the DE and sets up Power Pass) and boot away on Counter.  On Toss Sweep, have him reverse out and toss to the TB.  On Iso he should go straight back--you can run Iso as more of a lead draw action if you want to throw.

Another big thing about the I formation is to use your Flanker.  Use him as a WR, motion him to change strength, bring him in as a WB to block down on Toss Sweep, etc.  He can even lead through the hole as a second blocker on Iso, Power, and Counter at times if you want to put in a cheap and dirty Power I package.

The I really allows for a lot of formation tweaks.  Pro and Twins are the base, but beyond them you can put the TE in a Nasty split, go Double Tight, Tackle Over with Twins on the same side, 3 wide, etc.

For passing... that should depend on what your QB is good at.  At the bare minimum, I'd like the two PAP I mentioned (Power Pass and Bootleg--seriously, a good bootleg is the best play in football), plus a strong side flood (like the Air Raid "Y-Sail") and a weak side flood (like the Air Raid "Y-Cross) with maybe a good man-beater in there (like the Air Raid "Mesh").  I also love Smash as a Cov. 2 beater and Curl/Flat as a Cov. 3 beater, so I'd want those, too, but those might be unnecessary for you.  For quick game I like slants with a back in each flat, fade/out, and hitches.  You don't need much more, even in HS.

ReplyQuote
CoachParker
(@coachparker)
Bronze
Asst HC / DC / OC
May 14, 2020 8:27 am  

I just wrote an article on my top 5 I formation plays for youth football - https://coachparker.org/2020/05/14/top-5-i-formation-plays-for-youth-football/

1) WB COunter

2) TB Pitch Sweep

3) TB Sweep Option Pass

4) FB Misdirection Wedge

5) TB Lead ISO Dive

These I formation plays have worked well for us over the last 10 year coaching youth football in DFW area.  

Would love to hear your favorite I Formation plays.  My Co-Head coach loves the I formation.  

Thanks

Parker

Coach Parker
CoachParker.org
Fort Worth , Texas

mahonz liked
ReplyQuote
jtrent64
(@jtrent64)
Copper
May 28, 2020 5:43 pm  

We ran a version of the I - Last year our best plays were (Descending).  

6) Sweep

5) TE Pop Pass

4) FB Dive

3) Lead (off-tackle)

2) QB Sneak

1) Bootleg (Our best play)

Previous seasons where we had stud TB and FB -

3) TE Pop

2) Sweep

1) Lead (off-tackle)

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
May 30, 2020 2:15 pm  

Late to the party. The I form we used is modified "dot" from eco.  Age range was 8-9yrs old in pop Pop Warner .  The plays were:

Double dive (called fb, tb, qb keep) this was a great play for us. 

Iso

Split flow zone

Power/counter

Toss

Fb trap

End around off of toss action (right 65 kick ala dcwt)

Slant

Waggle pass off of power play action

The double dive in youth is almost u heard of or seen and worked very well for us, our splits were about 1 foot, with a bastard split TE, our wide receivers played inside either hash. 

This post was modified 3 days ago by ZACH

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: