I formation Core Plays  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

Seth54
(@seth54)
Copper
May 30, 2020 5:09 pm  

@bucksweep58

I think what you’re calling double dive, I grew up calling FB belly and TB belly. It was the staple of my youth offense, and something I want to incorporate now that I’m coaching. Any suggestions on how to block it? I think we wedged the FB belly and cross blocked the TB belly with the tight end down blocking and the tackle kicking out. Pretty sure I’d try something like that with the wing back arc releasing to Lead on the nearest LB. Does that seem sound

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
May 30, 2020 5:16 pm  
Posted by: @bucksweep58

Late to the party. The I form we used is modified "dot" from eco.  Age range was 8-9yrs old in pop Pop Warner .  The plays were:

Double dive (called fb, tb, qb keep) this was a great play for us. 

Iso

Split flow zone

Power/counter

Toss

Fb trap

End around off of toss action (right 65 kick ala dcwt)

Slant

Is that a slant pass or slant run?

Waggle pass off of power play action

The double dive in youth is almost u heard of or seen

That's surprising to me.  Maybe my experience is unusual, but we had it in the NBYFA (I formation) and the core offense of the Warriors (split backs pro), although we didn't have it in the "I" in a team I coached on in the Warriors.  Plus I recall some opposing teams having it.  I wonder why it's so rare where you've been.

On top of that, I'm suggesting our wing T team adopt a version of it this year that I don't think I've ever seen run, where the FB & QB dive opposite A gaps.  Most double dives have the QB ride a back and then cross behind him to hand off or keep, but this one has the QB hitting "inside" the fake handoff and almost at the same time.

This post was modified 6 months ago by Bob Goodman

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
May 30, 2020 6:43 pm  
Posted by: @seth54

@bucksweep58

I think what you’re calling double dive, I grew up calling FB belly and TB belly. It was the staple of my youth offense, and something I want to incorporate now that I’m coaching. Any suggestions on how to block it? I think we wedged the FB belly and cross blocked the TB belly with the tight end down blocking and the tackle kicking out. Pretty sure I’d try something like that with the wing back arc releasing to Lead on the nearest LB. Does that seem sound

Fb dive or inside belly we block mid line. * Block 1st level between A gaps, everyone else climbs and counts second and third level

Tb dive we block is, block 1st level between B gaps, climb to second level

Qb keep we block sweep

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
May 30, 2020 9:08 pm  
Posted by: @bob-goodman
Posted by: @bucksweep58

Late to the party. The I form we used is modified "dot" from eco.  Age range was 8-9yrs old in pop Pop Warner .  The plays were:

Double dive (called fb, tb, qb keep) this was a great play for us. 

Iso

Split flow zone

Power/counter

Toss

Fb trap

End around off of toss action (right 65 kick ala dcwt)

Slant

Is that a slant pass or slant run?

Waggle pass off of power play action

The double dive in youth is almost u heard of or seen

That's surprising to me.  Maybe my experience is unusual, but we had it in the NBYFA (I formation) and the core offense of the Warriors (split backs pro), although we didn't have it in the "I" in a team I coached on in the Warriors.  Plus I recall some opposing teams having it.  I wonder why it's so rare where you've been.

On top of that, I'm suggesting our wing T team adopt a version of it this year that I don't think I've ever seen run, where the FB & QB dive opposite A gaps.  Most double dives have the QB ride a back and then cross behind him to hand off or keep, but this one has the QB hitting "inside" the fake handoff and almost at the same time.

Slant pass

And yes my area doesn't see very much creativity. Occasional single wing, and double wing. I was the first to run any option in the league in years I was told, same with polecat, RNs, and especially crossfire

ReplyQuote
Seth54
(@seth54)
Copper
May 31, 2020 10:56 pm  

Anyone here familiar with the offset I formation? I want to run a weak ISO from offset I with the FB behind the BSG. Anyone think the backfield action would be out of whack by being in offset? Would the QB reverse pivot?

FYI: this is for a 10U youth team

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
June 1, 2020 8:46 am  

Anyone here familiar with the offset I formation? I want to run a weak ISO from offset I with the FB behind the BSG. Anyone think the backfield action would be out of whack by being in offset? Would the QB reverse pivot?

The reverse out sets up the FB sucker trap so yes. 

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
June 1, 2020 11:21 pm  

We called It "queen" .. we ran tight zone with the fb going to lb "search" . As long as your splits aren't zero open or reverse pivot will be fine.

Seth54 liked
ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
June 2, 2020 1:53 pm  

Are you asking whether a reverse pivot is advisable?  Or whether the QB reverse pivot would be out of whack because of the FB's offset?

A slip handoff to the FB should be just as good whether he starts behind the back side guard or the center, and a reverse pivot should work with either provided the FB has enough depth.

The iso play itself might be impaired if the FB has to cover too much space laterally.  Shouldn't be bad in the A gap, might be a problem if he had to come across from the guard position to the opposite B gap.  He's well placed to wham someone penetrating, but would have a handicap turning up into the hole to block downfield after moving across the formation in the backfield.

The offset FB was part of our playbook where I coached in 2007, but our execution was so bad I can't say anything about how it looks on grass.

ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze
3rd - 5th
Coordinator
June 2, 2020 3:02 pm  

Re: core plays for the I

If I had a gifted I back, and a gifted runner/receiver to put in the slot, and descent dual threat qb  (Getting all three on the same squad may be asking too much... but) I'd consider the Sprint Draw as a must-have in my offense.  I was fortunate to coach under one of Pennsylvania's Al Black's disciples.  We found the Sprint Draw to be very hard for the opponents to defend consistently, creates pressure on the LB's to deal w/ pass vs the run.... terrific off-tackle and counter-action and the perimeter play action passes - esp as a type of RPO make a complete offense just within one series. 

We found that if we didn't have all three, tho...    

This post was modified 6 months ago 2 times by Coyote

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

ReplyQuote
Seth54
(@seth54)
Copper
June 2, 2020 8:45 pm  
Posted by: @bob-goodman

Are you asking whether a reverse pivot is advisable?  Or whether the QB reverse pivot would be out of whack because of the FB's offset?

Yeah, I am asking about the offset causing a problem. 

Here's how we do it with the offset FB and a wingback inserted. Its not my preference, but the club likes to use certain formations for continuity. Any other ideas out of this look would be appreciated.

X X X C X X     X

Q      WB

FB

TB

A slip handoff to the FB should be just as good whether he starts behind the back side guard or the center, and a reverse pivot should work with either provided the FB has enough depth.

The iso play itself might be impaired if the FB has to cover too much space laterally.  Shouldn't be bad in the A gap, might be a problem if he had to come across from the guard position to the opposite B gap.  He's well placed to wham someone penetrating, but would have a handicap turning up into the hole to block downfield after moving across the formation in the backfield.

I like the idea of the Wham if the ISO isn't an option. Thanks

The offset FB was part of our playbook where I coached in 2007, but our execution was so bad I can't say anything about how it looks on grass.

ReplyQuote
CoachParker
(@coachparker)
Bronze
Asst HC / DC / OC
June 28, 2020 12:38 pm  

@seth54

I run mostly off-set with my I plays and love it.  

Here's some video -

This post was modified 5 months ago by CoachParker

Coach Parker
CoachParker.org
Fort Worth , Texas

Seth54 liked
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: