Notifications

What is this  

RSS

headtrip
(@headtrip)
Bronze
July 1, 2017 5:23 am  

vs Tennesee

vs Ole Miss (check out the "double wing" power play for Ole Miss' first TD)

Lots of Pro I and splitback formations, but are these teams running a pro style offense? Seems to have been as explosive as any Spread offense today

Coach Correa
(@coach-correa)
Gold
Head Coach
July 1, 2017 5:50 am  

That's Good ole fashion I Football with some split back .... All of this stuff arrived from the SW and T so we all have been influenced by those schemes at one time or another.

Head Coach Tito Correa New Britain Raiders 14-U

ReplyQuote
MHcoach
(@mhcoach)
Diamond
Florida
July 1, 2017 5:51 am  

HT

It was a different game 28 years ago. Almost everything was 2 back sets, & the scoring average was in the 30's, today with 1 back sets it's in the 40's. I think the way the game is played with the rule changes really makes the difference.

In 1989 I coached 15 & 16's we were a multiple I team. The big difference was on Defense, we were allowed more freedom within the rules.

Here is a way to think of it, in '89 if you scored 21 pts a game you usually won. Today every district game last season the winning team scored 35 points or more.

None of that to say what was done in '89 wasn't good football. Alabama was a Multiple I team, Ole Miss was a Slot I team,
21 & 22 personnel was the norm. You could hit a receiver down field. There was no targeting rule. It was just different. We always valued being more physical, today the way the game is played is more about speed & athleticism.

Joe

"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"Bill Walsh

ReplyQuote
headtrip
(@headtrip)
Bronze
July 1, 2017 6:23 am  

Agreed. The rules changes from then to now have made the game a good bit different

Still, it's fun to watch some of these old games. I watched the highlights from the Bama vs Penn State game from that year. that was an intense game.

ReplyQuote
Share: