Notifications
Clear all

Punt return? Do you build a wall, let your stud run free?

Shamrocks
(@shamrocks)
Gold
Topic starter  

Curious if anyone sets up a wall or has specific plays on punt return.

If so, feel free to share..........

morris
(@morris)
Platinum

Build a wall. The real key is you need a head hunter at the start of the wall. If you can find that kid that knows how to size a kid up you will get returns. We stress catch the ball in the air and get to the wall. The wall needs to get to the return man and knock the crap out of the biggest threat.

ReplyQuote
CoachDavidP
(@fizzlife)
Gold

If they are punting, we are coming after it in our base D, just moving our corners back 5 more yards just in case it's returnable. We don't see many punts though. 4 total this season, two were blocked. One kicked straight up in the air, one decent punt.

David (Fizzlife)Extreme Ownership -- Jocko Willink and Leif Babin

ReplyQuote
Hurricane
(@hurricane)
Bronze

We actually don't practice a punt return, in the past 3 seasons we have seen a total of 1 punt. Most teams in our league don't punt at all, and if they do we just send the house and try to get the block. Most of the time if the other teams punts they're deep in their own territory so I'll take it wherever the ball stops rolling.

ReplyQuote
CoachBrian
(@coachbrian)
Gold

We don't practice a punt return.  No one has punted against us since I've been at the 7-9 age level, the last two years.  In that time we've only punted twice ourselves......and both were in the same game.  Must admit, I surprised the other team though.  They had a guy back but had no idea my punter could punt it 25-30 yards and both times it went over his head.

ReplyQuote
DL
 DL
(@daniel-lyons)
Platinum

Don't practice it.  What happens happens.

We get about 6 punts a year against us.  Not worth the time to practice it.

ReplyQuote
Share: