Notifications
Clear all

What is the average punt distance in youth football?

Page 1 / 2

Shamrocks
(@shamrocks)
Gold
Topic starter  

More so for the 5th, 6th and 7th graders?

Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator

Net or actual?

Rush or no rush?

The rush or no rush is a huge variable.

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
Shamrocks
(@shamrocks)
Gold
Topic starter  

Net or actual?

Rush or no rush?

The rush or no rush is a huge variable.

One is no rush.

The second is they can only rush 6.

ReplyQuote
Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator

With no rush the punts tend to go about 25% further

Rushing 6 I would consider that a rush

30 yards is a decent kick for the age levels your talking about and thats no rush.

Before everyone starts piling on about 40 yards here and there, I know those kids are out there Im just saying a 30 yard kick is a good kick.

Subtract about 6 yards for rush and about 5-10 yards away from the LOS and you have about 18 yard kick.

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
Shamrocks
(@shamrocks)
Gold
Topic starter  

With no rush the punts tend to go about 25% further

Rushing 6 I would consider that a rush

30 yards is a decent kick for the age levels your talking about and thats no rush.

Before everyone starts piling on about 40 yards here and there, I know those kids are out there Im just saying a 30 yard kick is a good kick.

Subtract about 6 yards for rush and about 5-10 yards away from the LOS and you have about 18 yard kick.

So your punt return should maybe play 25 yards off the LOS to play it safe?

ReplyQuote
joshv155
(@joshv155)
Platinum

We could kick it real high straight into the air.......probably 20 yards straight up....... :'(

Passio Bellator

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond

Before or after it's returned for a touchdown?  😉

Ae punt out of bounds when we do punt.  It takes a lot for us to punt though.  If i'm on there side of the 50, i'm not punting.  We're rarely ever in a 4th and long situation, so punting just doesn't make a lot of since. 

But when it does happen, at the 11-12-13 level, i'd say the AVG. is 25-30 yards. 

This year we will be going to a spread punt when we do punt, that way they cant put anyone back deep.  Because even though we try to kick it out of bounds, I cant tell you how many times they'll accidentally kick a line drive right down the middle of the field...

It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

ReplyQuote
joshv155
(@joshv155)
Platinum

We actually only punted once last season in a playoff game. I think we were on our own 20-25....only 2 mins left in the half up 7-0 and get the ball back after. They were not expecting it and the kid we had was pretty good. 25-30 yards on the fly and another 15-20 on the bounce. 2nd play they fumble....we run a toss and score....13-0 at half...and that was the final score...

The year before we kicked a couple straight in the air.....

Passio Bellator

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

S

I have learned over the years that punt returning can be a very bad idea.

We wont go for the block unless the punter drops the football....we sit back and slow rush...and we put no returner back. The odds are against you with youths.

No running into the kicker....no muffs by the punt return man....no fake punting.  We want the ball back regardless.

Food for thought.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
coachgregory
(@coachgregory)
Platinum

S

I have learned over the years that punt returning can be a very bad idea.

We wont go for the block unless the punter drops the football....we sit back and slow rush...and we put no returner back. The odds are against you with youths.

No running into the kicker....no muffs by the punt return man....no fake punting.  We want the ball back regardless.

Food for thought.

We go after punts...pretty good at it 🙂  We block about 75% of them.  We work on blocking them...

I agree on not fielding punts..  We rarely do and then it is with our best hands guy and we know we will have time to field it and run with it.  I would rather just take the ball where it lies...then increase the potential of giving the ball back to the opponent with better field position than try to field it.

Jack

Exsisto Fortis, Exsisto Validus

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

We go after punts...pretty good at it 🙂  We block about 75% of them.  We work on blocking them...

I agree on not fielding punts..  We rarely do and then it is with our best hands guy and we know we will have time to field it and run with it.  I would rather just take the ball where it lies...then increase the potential of giving the ball back to the opponent with better field position than try to field it.

Jack

J

The older boys....sure thing go for the block because they get it....younger kids....allow it because they have no clue.  😉

Play the odds. Punting is a negative for the Offense...don't allow them to turn that into a positive even if that means the ball hits and rolls another 15 or 20 yards.

I was a punt returner....its probably the hardest position I ever played.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

We don't field punts(generally, sometimes we have the right kid) until the Jr Midget age level which is 12yo for those that are not in Pop Warner. We don't like to punt until that age level either but rarely do regardless. 25 yards net is a pretty good effort. If you can line drive it and get a bounce then 40 yards is doable. I hate giving the bad guys best player the ball in the open field. I think we end up blocking more than 50% of punts against us. Many seem to want to quick kick but when the defense is in the backfield all game long a quick kick is a really bad idea. When we do field punts we tend to score as coverage in youth ball is usually poor(to include us for what it's worth  :-[ ). That is something we will be working on more this season.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

I always have the kicker angle to the sideline! I never kick the ball (punt or otherwise) towards the deep back. 

Distance is a hard nut to crack due to consistency. Might have 3 or 4 decent kicks and then what amounts to a Sand Wedge from a greenside bunker.  For this reason alone, I find a kid who can get the ball to the sidelines and avoid the return at all costs.  If I net 20 yards I am happy.

😉

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond

Hardly anyone punts around here - Pop Warner Jr. Pee Wee, so 9-11's.

I get nervous when the other team punts, even though I don't field it.  We stay in our base and contain to make sure it's not a fake.  I have seen punts go straight up in the air and drop in the middle of our defense, and it was just by sheer luck it didn't hit someone as it was bouncing around.

I think next year we might take a few minutes a week on punt block.  But even then I get nervous, same way I do when we kick deep - if the other team has their best player punting, he is now in space, and I HATE athletes in space...

ReplyQuote
Test Account
(@test-account)
Kryptonite

More so for the 5th, 6th and 7th graders?

Average punt distance?  On turf or real grass?

Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: