Notifications
Clear all

Are Cammo Jerseys Legal?

CoachHec
(@coachhec)
Bronze
Topic starter  

I was at one of the NJ HS Championship games Saturday and one of the teams came out in Black and Gold Cammo Jerseys with black numbers on them. There was some old guy in the stands who was complaining about them saying that "If I was officiating that game, I would make them take them jerseys off or they forfeit... They're illegal... You cant see the numbers."

I would think that the coaches would make sure that they were legal before they buy them but what is the official word on those jerseys? Are they legal? Thanks in advanced.

Tripwire
(@tripwire)
Gold

There are tons of illegal jerseys out there in HS, College, Pop Warner etc.  It seems its just allowed these days.  2 tone half and half jerseys, colored numbers, camo, hard to see numbers.. etc, etc.  I don't think they say anything anymore and just allow the kids to play football.  I seriously don't see the harm in it.  Whatever promotes the game I am all for.

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

I've seen same color numbers on same color jerseys.  As a coach, I'd hate it because it makes it so hard to tell who has made a tackle, recovered a fumble, etc. when reviewing film for statistical purposes.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

The team that beat us in 2012(Jensen Beach) came out in cammos the 2nd time we played them. We had no idea what the numbers on the jersey were. It makes it hard to call a game when you know the other team runs packages(as they did) and you can't change packages as well based on numbers. As far as them being legal, we were later told that they were not legal because the numbers were not visible. It wouldn't of mattered as they were just flat out better than us.

ReplyQuote
CoachHec
(@coachhec)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Well, FTR I have no problem with the cammos but if they're illegal then someone SHOULD say something then. My friend made a good point during the in which the ball was kind of hard to see during the mesh on zone read plays. Maybe it was because the fakes were that good but someone will complain about that enough.

ReplyQuote
Joker number 8
(@joker-number-8)
Silver

pursuant to NFHS rules
visiting jersey:
1. unaltered
2. white
3.allowable adornment include: strip down the seam. on shoulder  on yolk, or an American Flag

home: same as above but the body of the jersey may not include white.

Cammo jersey are illegal. Many state associations will grant waivers but KY is not one of them.

Todd

ReplyQuote
Aodaddy
(@aodaddy)
Copper

We bought camo jerseys for our trip this year. We loved them and so did a lot of other coaches, parents and Pop Warner officials. I would agree the black numbers were a little hard to see, white numbers would have been better. Uniforms Express out of San Diego did a get job!

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond

Coach
What brand are the Jerseys?
Happy with them?

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
PioneerCoach
(@pioneercoach)
Bronze

It's a definite advantage.  We played a team this year who had camo numbers.  It was very difficult to read them even though they were on a solid jersey.  Your eyes went buggy trying to tell a 3 from 6 from an 8 from a 9.

The worst though is that we play a team whose "maroon" home jerseys just happen to be the exact same color as a football and whose field lights aren't very bright.  It's nearly impossible to tell who has the ball on any given play.  You can't see the ball when it's held tight to their jerseys.  Oh, did I mention they run spinner and stress ball-faking to their backs?  LOL.

-Craig

"February: I want to run triple option from the single wing, but with a pass option, too. Should the end run a post or a corner?
September: Any advice on how to get my center to snap it properly?"

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

The worst though is that we play a team whose "maroon" home jerseys just happen to be the exact same color as a football and whose field lights aren't very bright.  It's nearly impossible to tell who has the ball on any given play.  You can't see the ball when it's held tight to their jerseys.  Oh, did I mention they run spinner and stress ball-faking to their backs?

Our colors were maroon.  lol

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Aodaddy
(@aodaddy)
Copper

Coach
What brand are the Jerseys?
Happy with them?

I love them, my players, parents love them. Uniforms express uses their own material and their own brand. We used them for are association with our regular season uniforms. They lasted, customer service was out standing. If your interested let me know, I can put you in contact with the right people.  ;D

ReplyQuote
darthdaddy17
(@darthdaddy17)
Bronze

I went to watch Arizona_Cheesehead's game on Saturday and there was a team there that was wearing cammo jerseys.

Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit. -Vince Lombardi

ReplyQuote
RJGiants75
(@rjgiants75)
Bronze

I was at one of the NJ HS Championship games Saturday and one of the teams came out in Black and Gold Cammo Jerseys with black numbers on them. There was some old guy in the stands who was complaining about them saying that "If I was officiating that game, I would make them take them jerseys off or they forfeit... They're illegal... You cant see the numbers."

I would think that the coaches would make sure that they were legal before they buy them but what is the official word on those jerseys? Are they legal? Thanks in advanced.

Was this  the Shabazz-Dunellen game you were out?

ReplyQuote
CoachHec
(@coachhec)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Yes sir. Was at that game. Thought they were cool although they could've used white numbers to see them better.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

There are tons of illegal jerseys out there in HS, College, Pop Warner etc.  It seems its just allowed these days.  2 tone half and half jerseys, colored numbers, camo, hard to see numbers.. etc, etc.  I don't think they say anything anymore and just allow the kids to play football.  I seriously don't see the harm in it.  Whatever promotes the game I am all for.

How could you not see the harm of it, given the original post?  I don't see harm in most of it, and I think the Fed rules have gotten picayune regarding dress; but if it actually makes it hard to read a player's number, doesn't that violate the spirit of the rule?

ReplyQuote
Share: