Notifications
Clear all

Blocking in General

mozzini
(@mozzini)
Bronze
Topic starter  

I have heard a thousand times over that an offensive lineman can grab the gear of a defender as long as offensive players hands and arms are inside the frame of himself and the defender. Grab the gear and steer your defender which way you want them to go.

A) First of all is this truth of not?

B) Is it true of ANY offensive player (WR, RB,TE) if it is?

C)If you get a hold of their gear, is it illegal to "shake" the defender while driving him backwards? Extend the arms (violently), then bring your body to them and extend your arms again, as long as you're still driving your feet, and your arms are inside the frame of the defender.

D) If it is, and if someone has a copy of the rule that states this, could I please have a copy? It would be best if it was Missouri Highschool rules.

Thanks in advance

Phillipians 4:13

parone
(@parone)
Silver

i don't have a copy of the rules.  i don't think you can grab the defender legally, though many coaches do teach that.  what they mean is, if you grab him but your hands stay inside his frame, you will almost never get called.

i personally don't teach this.  it can be effective, but i think it leads to bad habits, particularly at the youth level.

Dream Big.  Work Hard. Stay Humble.

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

Attached is some of the info I have on it.  Some, or all, of it might be obsolete now.  I have a bunch more but it's not in a format I can attach.

My quick-and-dirty explanation of the rules is (a) hands inside and (b) grab to push, not grab to pull.

It's only holding if the defender makes it holding.  If he can't make it holding, it's not holding.

I firmly disagree with the idea that any grab is illegal and it's just a case of whether or not the officials call it.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
mozzini
(@mozzini)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Attached is some of the info I have on it.  Some, or all, of it might be obsolete now.  I have a bunch more but it's not in a format I can attach.

My quick-and-dirty explanation of the rules is (a) hands inside and (b) grab to push, not grab to pull.

It's only holding if the defender makes it holding.  If he can't make it holding, it's not holding.

I firmly disagree with the idea that any grab is illegal and it's just a case of whether or not the officials call it.

Thank you very much!

Phillipians 4:13

ReplyQuote
Share: