Notifications
Clear all

Defensive Block in the Back

CoachHec
(@coachhec)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Ive heard this call a couple of times during HS games. This was when a defensive player would hit/push an offensive player in the back away from the play.Can someone point out the rule for this or at least a link because I cant find any links to this?

Thank you.

jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond

Pretty sure that the block in the back rules aren't offense/defense specific.  It applies equally to both teams, so wherever it is for the "offense", it applies to the D as well.

Although someone will come along shortly and point out there where, LOL.

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

Pretty sure that the block in the back rules aren't offense/defense specific.  It applies equally to both teams, so wherever it is for the "offense", it applies to the D as well.

Although someone will come along shortly and point out there where, LOL.

I know in NCAA rules the penalty is the same, but the places where it is allowed depending on whether you are on offense or on defense.  They provide pretty pictures for referees with colors to show the differences for each. 

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

Based on our game this past weekend, I know for a fact that not every official realizes the blocker must actually make contact for it to be a block in the back.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

Based on our game this past weekend, I know for a fact that not every official realizes the blocker must actually make contact for it to be a block in the back.

Some of them don't realize that the player can't turn his back to the block at the last minute either.  😀

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

Some of them don't realize that the player can't turn his back to the block at the last minute either.  😀

After watching film of this past weekend, I realize how important it is for the official to tell you the number of the player "committing" the "infraction," since a lot of times there's no way in hell you'll be able to figure it out from watching the film, IYKWIMAITYD.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

After watching film of this past weekend, I realize how important it is for the official to tell you the number of the player "committing" the "infraction," since a lot of times there's no way in hell you'll be able to figure it out from watching the film, IYKWIMAITYD.

I have gotten a number about 10% of the time. Half of those, they gave me a number of a kid on the bench.

ReplyQuote
jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond

So we had a call where they gave me one number, then later said oops my bad it was THIS number.  Then on film, IF there was a penalty it was on a third kid. And I think the call was right so ultimately no worries, but WTF?  The two numbers they gave me were the two biggest kids on the DL, the penalty was actually committed by the smallest kid on our defense.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

Pretty sure that the block in the back rules aren't offense/defense specific.

In Fed they are, offense being allowed to do it, defense not.  They obscurely put that in the Definitions (Rule 2), which is a peeve of mine: Fed (and to some degree NCAA) increasingly over the past 35 yrs. abusing the Definitions rule by putting in there language that'd be more appropriately put in the substantive rules.

Normally, however, a player on defense is going to use hands (or just body contact) not to block but to beat an opponent's block, or just to get an opponent out of the way who's accidentally in your way.  That's not blocking, so it's not subject to the restrictions on use of the hands in blocking or other restrictions pertinent to blocking generally.  In specific circumstances it may be pass interference.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

I just wish they would realize that when the kid being blocked, turns his back after he is engaged, its not a block in the back!  Please tell me why they call that and then ignore an obvious hold!  Really?  When the OL fails to get inside (Dominate) position and the DL's Shoulder pads are folded to his ears, its holding!   

As long as we are pointing out the obvious.  Please END the Kick Return!  8-10 are called for a block in the back!  Not to mention the fact that 80% of the Kick Offs are out of bounds these days! Just Spot the ball at the 35 and go! 

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

Please tell me why they call that and then ignore an obvious hold!  Really?  When the OL fails to get inside (Dominate) position and the DL's Shoulder pads are folded to his ears, its holding!

I don't think that's ever an automatic call.  I certainly don't think anyone can complain when they get it, at least near the ball, but no way the usual interpretation is a flag every time.

ReplyQuote
Threepwood
(@wettstein)
Bronze

That's funny

ReplyQuote
Share: