Notifications
Clear all

Disrespectful rule or not?

Page 5 / 9

patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

My league fines you at least $100 if you win by more than 32

What do they fine the guys that lose by more than 32?  ::)

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

My league fines you at least $100 if you win by more than 32

How the heck do they enforce that. They ought to fine the losing coach. It aint the winning coaches fault the other guy sucks at what he does.

ReplyQuote
CRM1241
(@crm1241)
Copper

Our league suspends the head coach for a week if the margin goes over 34

ReplyQuote
CoachDavidP
(@fizzlife)
Gold

Fines and suspensions for playing well is completely irresponsible. Sure, there are steps that can be taken to soften the blow, but I've seen a really good team start all it's second string on offense and score in two plays. They can't help how bad their competition is.

David (Fizzlife)Extreme Ownership -- Jocko Willink and Leif Babin

ReplyQuote
Yankee Charlie
(@gacoachycarr)
Gold

How the heck do they enforce that. They ought to fine the losing coach. It aint the winning coaches fault the other guy sucks at what he does.

Very easy.  Fine is handed out the the Association at the Weekly league meeting.  Association pays the fine.  It is then on the Association to collect from their coach.

In my opinion, its a good rule.  There is nothing learned by winning or losing by more than 32.  At that point it's about either feeding ego or killing confidence.

"A boy comes to me with a spark of interest and it becomes a flame. I feed the flame and it becomes fire, I feed the fire and it becomes a roaring blaze" - Cus D'Amato, 1908-1985

ReplyQuote
Yankee Charlie
(@gacoachycarr)
Gold

What do they fine the guys that lose by more than 32?  ::)

In most cases, these guys are 1st year coaches with 1st year teams, coaching for associations that couldn't find anyone to take the job. 

Most years after 8 games of 32 point loses, these guys dont come back and most of their players dont either.  Losing isnt fun.  A 32 point loss is embarrassing enough.

"A boy comes to me with a spark of interest and it becomes a flame. I feed the flame and it becomes fire, I feed the fire and it becomes a roaring blaze" - Cus D'Amato, 1908-1985

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Very easy.  Fine is handed out the the Association at the Weekly league meeting.  Association pays the fine.  It is then on the Association to collect from their coach.

In my opinion, its a good rule.  There is nothing learned by winning or losing by more than 32.  At that point it's about either feeding ego or killing confidence.

We have a rule in our conference that if we beat a team by 39 then the header gets suspended. We have played games with our starting skill position players were minimum play kids. In one particular game we were up 32-0 in the second quarter with back ups all over the place and running about 3 or 4 different play. We were doing everything we could to not run up the score. Meanwhile the other team is horribly disorganized to the point that they can barely run a play and the alignments on defense made absolutely no sense at all. It got to the point where we had to tell our kids that if they were going to score to fall down. It actually happened as our LEFT TACKLE was running for a td. After that we kneeled it every play. We won that game 38-0. Fining us sure would of made a whole lot a sense wouldn't it. Ridiculous rule and no way I would ever pay it. I would be removed from my job before I paid it. We never would run up the score because the point differential is something I couldn't care less about. In fact last night we could of scored another td against our opponent but decided not to. Some coaches are just so bad that it is almost impossible to not score, even against your will. Telling your kids not to try, as we did in the example I gave, is something I never want to have to do again. In fact we don't. We will just not run any offensive plays if the opponent is that bad. That is a pretty lame thing to do but to avoid suspension in our league or a fine in another is the option we take. BTW, our conference at least has the common sense to review game film if available and look at the mpr sheet to see if the coaches made an effort to keep it under control.

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

Tell that to the 3rd string kid who has to fall down instead of scoring his first touchdown ever.  It happens more than you think.  Happened to us two weeks ago.  We were up 31-0 at the half and had emptied our bench in the 2nd quarter.  We have a kid who gets maybe 2 carries all year breaks one up the middle and has to slow up and look over his shoulder so that his coach does not get in trouble.  At that point, not scoring is about not hurting someone's feelings, but it ends up holding back a kid who has busted his butt all season long.  Makes no sense to me.

ReplyQuote
Yankee Charlie
(@gacoachycarr)
Gold

Tell that to the 3rd string kid who has to fall down instead of scoring his first touchdown ever.  It happens more than you think.  Happened to us two weeks ago.  We were up 31-0 at the half and had emptied our bench in the 2nd quarter.  We have a kid who gets maybe 2 carries all year breaks one up the middle and has to slow up and look over his shoulder so that his coach does not get in trouble.  At that point, not scoring is about not hurting someone's feelings, but it ends up holding back a kid who has busted his butt all season long.  Makes no sense to me.

Well thats on you.

I know that when I'm up by 3 scores in the 1st quarter that I'm THAT MUCH better than the other team.  Time to roll in the back ups and let them play the next 3 quarters.  I keep my starters on defense, but play those 3rd string kids on offense.  If those back ups can score once or twice it makes the game that much sweeter.

Its on the coach who decides to go up bu 27+ when they legally cant score anymore and then brings in his back ups and claims that its not fair to his back ups.  As coaches we should be an adult and an example and do whats best for the kids and not our egos.

ReplyQuote
Yankee Charlie
(@gacoachycarr)
Gold

We have a rule in our conference that if we beat a team by 39 then the header gets suspended. We have played games with our starting skill position players were minimum play kids. In one particular game we were up 32-0 in the second quarter with back ups all over the place and running about 3 or 4 different play. We were doing everything we could to not run up the score. Meanwhile the other team is horribly disorganized to the point that they can barely run a play and the alignments on defense made absolutely no sense at all. It got to the point where we had to tell our kids that if they were going to score to fall down. It actually happened as our LEFT TACKLE was running for a td. After that we kneeled it every play. We won that game 38-0. Fining us sure would of made a whole lot a sense wouldn't it. Ridiculous rule and no way I would ever pay it. I would be removed from my job before I paid it. We never would run up the score because the point differential is something I couldn't care less about. In fact last night we could of scored another td against our opponent but decided not to. Some coaches are just so bad that it is almost impossible to not score, even against your will. Telling your kids not to try, as we did in the example I gave, is something I never want to have to do again. In fact we don't. We will just not run any offensive plays if the opponent is that bad. That is a pretty lame thing to do but to avoid suspension in our league or a fine in another is the option we take. BTW, our conference at least has the common sense to review game film if available and look at the mpr sheet to see if the coaches made an effort to keep it under control.

Unfortunately, the biggest detriment to youth coaching aren't the rules - but the coaches.  Coaches (good and bad, winning and losing) make rules like this necessary. 

Our league is the longest running league in the Atlanta Metro (30 yrs +).  It exists because of good organization, playing under unaltered Fed rules, and guidlines that ensure youth appropriate sportsmanship.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

It got to the point where we had to tell our kids that if they were going to score to fall down.

In one game, we ran 4 sweeps in a row with instructions to run it out of bounds. This is the same game where we played MPPs out of position.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

Well thats on you.

I know that when I'm up by 3 scores in the 1st quarter that I'm THAT MUCH better than the other team.  Time to roll in the back ups and let them play the next 3 quarters.  I keep my starters on defense, but play those 3rd string kids on offense.  If those back ups can score once or twice it makes the game that much sweeter.

Its on the coach who decides to go up bu 27+ when they legally cant score anymore and then brings in his back ups and claims that its not fair to his back ups.  As coaches we should be an adult and an example and do whats best for the kids and not our egos.

So, the team that I played last year to an OT game, I am going to put in my 3rd stringers at 21-0?  How about the team that put up 44 points on the team they played the week before? You must be an All-World coach if you can just turn it on and off with your team and never give up a 21 point lead.  I am just not that good.

We play all of our kids throughout the game regardless of score, so it is not like we have to change strategy when the score gets out of hand.  When we feel like we have a team at the point that they aren't coming back, we have kids playing different spots to get them prepped in case of injury or to give them chances that they would otherwise not have. 

I have been on both sides of lopsided games and I find it more disrespectful to have teams put in silly rules so that my feelings don't get hurt.  You don't have to pile it on because karma will get you some day, but these fines, letters and suspensions are unreasonable in many instances. 

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

I don't think any coach is happy with "mercy rules". The fact is, "running up the score" is probably the number one complaint to orgs/leagues. The parents are the ones paying the dues and there must be a lot of them or a very vocal minority who storm the league offices every Monday. We have those folks to thank for these types of rules.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

I don't think any coach is happy with "mercy rules". The fact is, "running up the score" is probably the number one complaint to orgs/leagues. The parents are the ones paying the dues and there must be a lot of them or a very vocal minority who storm the league offices every Monday. We have those folks to thank for these types of rules.

I think that parents are part of it and there are coaches that do stupid things.  If you are onside kicking in the 2nd half when you are up by 21+, then this rule is for you.  If you know that the team that you are playing is going to be a cakewalk and you don't get your subs in early and often, then this rule is for you.

However, when leagues put in rules that are purely black and white with no regard to circumstances, then it fails the reasonable test for me.  In our league, we actually have a rule that is against AYF National rules in that the coach has no right to appeal a suspension under this rule.  I would love to see them try to enforce it, but that is the lengths that they went to. 

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

I just don't completely agree that teaching kids that when you are getting hammered the hammering will stop because somebody feels sorry for you is realistic or helpful. We all know that in life that is not how things happen. I am 100% convinced that mercy rule are for the parents. We have the approach that once we know we are going to put a team on the clock to get the back ups reps early and often but there are instances where your 3rd string can score on the other teams starters. Then what do you do? You start to disrespect the game, the other team and your own players by telling them that they have to take it easy even though the busted their tails of in practice.
Last night some of our kids asked why we didn't try to score in the 4th quarter, especially at the end of the game when we had the ball inside there ten. I used the opportunity to teach them about compassion and winning with class. But we never disrespected the game, our opponent or our players.

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 9
Share: