Notifications
Clear all

DUMB QUESTION - FORWARD TOSS

BCWCAC
(@bcwcac)
Copper
Topic starter  

Hey guys, I've got a dumb question that's been going around our coaches.

In our offense we do a shotgun DoubleWing.

Once the QB receives the ball he gives a forward toss to one of the wingbacks as he is starting his sweep. Is this legal?

I've considered it a shovel pass of sorts, though with both hands on an underneath toss. Others call it an illegal forward pass.

Can we do a "forward toss?" Is this a shovel pass or an illegal forward pass?

I know it's a stupid question, but I've not seen anything calling it illegal but I'm hearing from other coaches that it is.

Thanks!

patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

A forward toss behind the LOS is not illegal as long as it is the first one on the play.  You can’t have 2 forward passes on a play, but that first one is fine even if it goes past the LOS.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Totally legal. Tell the refs you do this so if it is dropped they call it an incomplete pass instead of a fumble.

ReplyQuote
Coach Brad
(@coachbradfromcanada)
Bronze

Yup, same rules apply as a regular forward pass. Doesn't matter what mechanics the passer uses to project the ball forward.

ReplyQuote
BCWCAC
(@bcwcac)
Copper
Topic starter  

Thanks everyone! I didn't think so, but other coaches kept insisting that I was incorrect.

ReplyQuote
blockandtackle
(@coacharnold)
Silver

Hey guys, I've got a dumb question that's been going around our coaches.

In our offense we do a shotgun DoubleWing.

Once the QB receives the ball he gives a forward toss to one of the wingbacks as he is starting his sweep. Is this legal?

I've considered it a shovel pass of sorts, though with both hands on an underneath toss. Others call it an illegal forward pass.

Can we do a "forward toss?" Is this a shovel pass or an illegal forward pass?

I know it's a stupid question, but I've not seen anything calling it illegal but I'm hearing from other coaches that it is.

Thanks!

It's a forward pass, but what would make it illegal?  Under NFHS and NCAA rules, if he catches it in the backfield you don't need to worry about men downfield.

The technique of the pass makes no difference: only whether it's forward or not forward.

ReplyQuote
Share: