Notifications
Clear all

Field Goal question

mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Under NFHS Rules can a blocked FG be advanced for a TD by the opponent?

Thanks

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

I beleive yes, live ball

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

A kick is a kick is a kick.  Doesn't matter what kind of kick.  The only way it's not live is if it was a failed try for point.  If a kick reaches the plane of receiving team's goal line in Fed it's dead regardless (except it can still go over the bar on a fly to score, if it wasn't just a punt).  Doesn't matter if it was blocked, let alone which team's player blocked it!

There are conditions under which an advance by the kicking team won't be allowed.  But consider: Why would the rules makers want to handicap the receiving team on a kick?  Yeah, OK, they've done stranger things before...but generally the idea is that if you make a kick, you're leaving the ball loose for the opponents to do with as they will.  Even if you kick the ball illegally or inadvertently, the other team gets to take advantage if they can.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Thank you Gentlemen.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Under NFHS Rules can a blocked FG be advanced for a TD by the opponent?

Thanks

I think I found the source of the confusion and the official you spoke with was wrong. If a scrimmage kick (FG attempt or punt) is recovered IN or BEHIND the neutral zone, either team may advance the ball. Let's say a really bad shanked punt or FG attempt that doesn't make it out of the neutral zone. Either team can scoop and score. I think that's where your official was confused.

Any touching of a low scrimmage kick that occurs in or behind the neutral zone is ignored. So let's say the Receiving team partially blocks a FG attempt, but the ball continues beyond the neutral zone. The touch from the partial block is ignored, so regular punt/scrimmage kick rules apply. In other words, Kicking team may not recover a blocked punt or FG attempt that makes it's way beyond the neutral zone.

A blocked FG may indeed be returned for a TD by the receiving team and it doesn't matter where the block occurs.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
Share: