Notifications

"Helping the runner"  

RSS

gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
December 9, 2019 3:44 pm  

This is the NFHS rule as far as I know it:

"An offense player shall not push, pull, or lift the runner to assist his forward progress"
5 yard penalty.

This is from the 2017 rule book. To anyone's knowledge, has this changed?

I ask because a HS in Mahonz and my neck of the woods runs a DW package and they wedge the QB on short yardage. The WBs and FB all get behind the QB and push him into the end zone. A friend of mine who used to coach with us told us that the rule has been eliminated. Unable to find anything online about this rule changing, I shrugged it off.

This weekend, I was watching one of our state championship games online and a team did pretty much the exact same thing. The announcers said, they were allowed to do this under the "new rule".

As far as I know, this is still illegal, but if it's changed, then it will solve several problems for me going forward.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

bignose
(@bignose)
Silver
December 9, 2019 4:11 pm  

I know this was changed on the college level a couple of years ago, but to my recollection has not yet happened under Federation rules.

However, I see it all of the time, kinda like a: nod, nod, wink, wink, sorta thing. I mentioned this to a ref (who was 9 yards behind the QB) and he said "he didn't see it."

In other words he chose not to see it, as it was a plain as the nose on my face, and my screen name isn't bignose for nothing!

You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles!

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
December 9, 2019 4:50 pm  

You can "assist" the runner at the college level.  It is illegal at the high school level.  Some high school teams have taken to "moving the pile," by pushing on anyone and everyone who isn't the ball-carrier.  This is legal.  However, the fact that it's legal to "push the pile" won't stop officials from throwing the flag when they see it.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
December 10, 2019 3:55 am  

You can "assist" the runner at the college level.  It is illegal at the high school level.  Some high school teams have taken to "moving the pile," by pushing on anyone and everyone who isn't the ball-carrier.  This is legal.  However, the fact that it's legal to "push the pile" won't stop officials from throwing the flag when they see it.

--Dave

Heres my deal as part time zebra lol

Ill allow pushing the pile,  if you as a coach yell "push him in" or  "push <insert name >" . Im throwing the hankey, kids only do what theyre told most of the time.

I take this as a teaching moment... dont give the zebra a reason to throw a flag on you by telling your kids to potentially cheat.

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
December 10, 2019 5:35 am  

This is the NFHS rule as far as I know it:

"An offense player shall not push, pull, or lift the runner to assist his forward progress"
5 yard penalty.

This is from the 2017 rule book. To anyone's knowledge, has this changed?

NCAA rule changed around then to allow pushing (by normal blocking technique) the runner.  Some high schools and youth leagues use NCAA rules or a variant of them.

Federation rule has not changed.  However, you sure it's only a 5 yard penalty?  I thought it was 10, classified as part of illegal use of hands/illegal blocking techniques.

If the "pile" is stationary and a teammate of the runner assumes position to push him, the officials should do some preventive officiating and blow the play dead instead of flagging it.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
December 10, 2019 4:59 pm  

NCAA rule changed around then to allow pushing (by normal blocking technique) the runner.  Some high schools and youth leagues use NCAA rules or a variant of them.

Federation rule has not changed.  However, you sure it's only a 5 yard penalty?  I thought it was 10, classified as part of illegal use of hands/illegal blocking techniques.

If the "pile" is stationary and a teammate of the runner assumes position to push him, the officials should do some preventive officiating and blow the play dead instead of flagging it.

5 yards as of the 2017 rules. Literally called, "Helping the runner"

I think that my buddy has the NCAA rules confused with NFHS. The team his boys play for does this in nearly every short yardage situation and I've never seen it flagged. The 2 WBS and FB make a really deliberate and tight shoulder fit around the QB and push him. Maybe the zebras are confused as well. The talking heads on local TV get a pass. Who cares what they know or don't know?

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum
December 12, 2019 3:03 pm  

Saw it called at the HS level this year. First time for me since it is our first year using NFHS rules instead of NCAA. 😉

ReplyQuote
jrk5150
(@johnkoester)
Diamond
December 16, 2019 10:55 am  

Did MA switch to Fed?

ReplyQuote
bdjackson
(@bdjackson)
Bronze
December 16, 2019 12:07 pm  

Did MA switch to Fed?

We did as of this year. So by rule you can basically do everything but pull the runner forward. It was a battle I fought a couple times this year running wedge.

Brian

Being Capable, first begins with being Confident.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
December 17, 2019 7:07 pm  

Did MA switch to Fed?

We did as of this year.

Yes, again.  First time was around 40 years ago.

So by rule you can basically do everything but pull the runner forward.

No, you have it backwards.  That's NCAA.  Which the Mass. association switched away from...again.

ReplyQuote
Share: