Notifications
Clear all

HorseCollar Rule

CaochA
(@caocha)
Copper
Topic starter  

What's y'alls interpretation?  Running 22 and 32 wedge this weekend and the defense was getting behind our runner after 4-6 yards and dragging them down by the backs of their pads.....ref tells us it's not a horse collar because more than one person was involved in the tackle?  I was a little upset.  Only thing I can find in the rules is it doesn't pertain to a qb in the pocket or a player in the tackle box. Thoughts?

gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

My understanding is that in order for it to be a horse collar tackle, it has to be a solo tackle. It makes little sense to me, but I think the emphasis is that the horse collar tackle being the force that brings the runner down. The "tackle box" and "pocket" rules apply to NCAA only.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond

What's y'alls interpretation?  Running 22 and 32 wedge this weekend and the defense was getting behind our runner after 4-6 yards and dragging them down by the backs of their pads.....ref tells us it's not a horse collar because more than one person was involved in the tackle?  I was a little upset.  Only thing I can find in the rules is it doesn't pertain to a qb in the pocket or a player in the tackle box. Thoughts?

Run spinner to hold the DEs

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
DukesCoach
(@dukescoach)
Bronze

we were told by the same ref this year twice, that hand in the neck grabbing shirt only isn't a horse collar.  Rule book says otherwise but we were close to a flag if we persisted.  Showed him the rule book, which is the official 2016 rule book.  He disagreed...  Having our league take it up the chain for clarification.

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond

The runner must be brought down because of the horsecollar - a violent reaction of the runner due to the horsecollar- that is my understanding of how the new interpretation works

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
DukesCoach
(@dukescoach)
Bronze

is the shirt excluded from the rule or included?

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond

Its my understanding that it is included

ReplyQuote
DukesCoach
(@dukescoach)
Bronze

mine too, per the rule book.  Still waiting to hear back from league request for clarification.

ReplyQuote
mozzini
(@mozzini)
Bronze

our whaite hat told us the shirt is excluded, and that it has to be a solo tackle, with a violent reaction to said tackle

I took it as if he grabs the gear, but there's no "whiplash" so to sepak, then theres no foul.. if he grabs shirt only, theres no foul

But I guess every ref has a different "interpretation" of the rule

Phillipians 4:13

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

Point of emphasis starting in 2013 for NFHS rules:  Rule 9-4-3k

"No player or nonplayer shall grab the inside back or side collar of the shoulder pads or jersey of the runner and subsequently pull (backward or sideward) that opponent to the ground (Horse-collar). The horse collar foul is enforced as a live-ball foul."

ReplyQuote
DukesCoach
(@dukescoach)
Bronze

thanks, exactly what we cited to the ref and were obviously told we were wrong!

ReplyQuote
Share: