Notifications
Clear all

How many defensive lineman? Required?

Page 1 / 2

tnert2003
(@tnert2003)
Copper
Topic starter  

Can I have zero defensive lineman? Is there a rule saying i have to have lineman? Brainstorming.

Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

To my knowledge as long as there are 11 players on the D side of the ball, youre ok.  However, some forward thinking OC might complain about proper numbers.  LOL

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
Coach Brad
(@coachbradfromcanada)
Bronze

The rules of football do not dictate where or how anyone on the defence side of the ball must line up, as long as they are on side. You could have 11 safeties if you so wished, all hanging out 8 yards off the ball.

Some league make their own rules in regards to this. Luckily I've never had to coach in any of the leagues.

ReplyQuote
bigshel
(@bigshel)
Gold

As far as I know, there is no such requirement. Unless you play in one of those leagues that mandates a certain defensive front.

ReplyQuote
blockandtackle
(@coacharnold)
Silver

Can I have zero defensive lineman? Is there a rule saying i have to have lineman? Brainstorming.

Consult your league's rule book.  A lot of youth leagues mandate anywhere from 3 to 6 players on the line or even a specific front.

Under NFHS and NCAA rules you don't need any particular player at any particular position.

ReplyQuote
tnert2003
(@tnert2003)
Copper
Topic starter  

Thank you for your responses. Doesnt say anything on our rulebook. I have 9 on my team. So we play 9 against 11. Trying to figure it out. Maybe confuse the lineman?

............ooooo................
..x....x...............x....x......
................x....................
..........x..x..x..x...............

Any input would be appreciated. Thank you coaches for your help.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Can I have zero defensive lineman?

--Yes, if you are going by NFHS or NCAA rules.

Is there a rule saying i have to have lineman?

--No.

Brainstorming.

--How so?

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

No, see Rob Ryans Amoeba, Dom Capers
Big Okie... stand up 335

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

Thank you for your responses. Doesnt say anything on our rulebook. I have 9 on my team. So we play 9 against 11. Trying to figure it out. Maybe confuse the lineman?

Youre gonna get rolled on unless all they do is sweep or pass lol

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

I am still trying to figure out how a game goes with 9 vs. 11.  ???

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

I am still trying to figure out how a game goes with 9 vs. 11.

I'm still trying to figure out how a game goes with no defensive linemen.
Although I applaud an outside-the-box thinkset, if you're playing a good opponent, this'll get you killed.  If you aren't, then it probably won't matter how you line up.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Coach Brad
(@coachbradfromcanada)
Bronze

Wait, seriously? Your league is actually going to let you do that?

I mean, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around that. But if I were to entertain the idea, I would do the opposite. Take away the secondary players, not the linemen. And pray the other team can't throw.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Take away the secondary players, not the linemen. And pray the other team can't throw.

Exactly.  And if I'm going to be short of DBs, I'm blitzing the heck out of their QB.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
bigshel
(@bigshel)
Gold

Is this a flag league? Serious question.

ReplyQuote
blockandtackle
(@coacharnold)
Silver

You're already playing 2 down, so it's going to be hard to play any kind of defense with that.  It just is what it is.

There was an old defense out there called the Radar Defense from the 70s/80s that some teams had success with.  The whole thing was playing a bunch of LBs up close to the LOS in 2 pt. stances and reading each OL, then reading to their blocks and running through gaps when they open up.

https://www.amazon.com/Radar-Defense-Winning-Football/dp/0137503725

https://www.abebooks.com/book-search/title/radar-defense-winning-football/author/jules-yakapovich/

The book is long out of print and would cost you if you want to buy it, but you can go to your local library and request a copy on interlibrary loan for free.  The Radar was a weird animal that I studied but never quite understood, but the weirdness of reading the blocks and doing all that unorthodox stuff is what made it work.

If you play without anyone on the LOS in most youth football leagues you're like to just have teams firing off and running over you up the middle with wedge.

If I had to play 2 men down, I'd be inclined to play an odd front 5-0-5 across the front with a 2 gapping NG to hold down both A gaps, play with 2 LBs head up on the Gs assigned to B gaps, Des in C gaps, a pair of CBs locked up up in man on #1 to each side, and then use hybrid OLB/S types as overhangs to align on #2 receiver to each side and set the edge.  Play Cov. 0.  Box everything.  Do some simple gap exchanges with the LBs and DEs switching between B and C gaps.  Hope nobody gets hurt to force you to play with 8.

..................B....B........
....C....$...5....0....5...$........C

32wedge liked
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: