Notifications
Clear all

New Pop Warner Rules

Page 1 / 3

Tripwire
(@tripwire)
Gold
Topic starter  

Check this stuff out.  Has some INSANE ramifications..

2015 New Rules

Item #1: (p. 42, Rule 20, S1, E) Regarding Ineligible Players

Change to (in red): (I will put it in bold italics)

Participation in school tackle football program or any other non-affiliated football program and Pop Warner at the same time.  If trying out for the school team, they may not practice with the Pop Warner team until they have been removed from the school team and show evidence of removal.

Participants may be rostered with a school team and Pop Warner, (in an inactive status) simultaneously, but may not participate with a Pop Warner team until the conclusion of the school team's season, unless the participant is removed prior.

Participants will be shown in a "dropped" status in League One Roster software until completion of the school team's season, at which point player may be placed in an active status, and begin participation with the Pop Warner team so long as they are turned to an Active status in League One by the third Monday in October.

All School players must meet all PW registration requirements.  Any school participant who has been removed from practice, play or competition due to an injury or suspected concussion may not participate in Pop Warner activities until the participant has been evaluated by a currently licensed medical professional and receives written clearance to play from that licensed practitioner.

This new rule was intended to help Midget and Unlimited level teams fill their rosters because throughout the season they were unable to fill teams up.  It gave them the ability to do so.  HOWEVER, this has WAY more far reaching ramifications.  You can bet every dollar you have that team Pluto will have a mediocre season and all of a sudden come October and playoff time they will have 20 super studs sign up on the team to try for disney.  I find it pretty horrible that teams would do that but you KNOW that is going to happen.  The reason I find it horrible is you have little johnny and the boys who have busted their ass all year in pop warner and all of a sudden come playoff time your going to look and say, ok see you!  Sit on the bench while these high school kids take over!  What an absolutely horrible idea this is going to turn out to be.  I can already see and hear some of the coaches cheering about it, but its the wrong thing to do in my opinion.

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Very bad idea.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

I don't really even understand the PW format but this is a green light for cheating...well....stacking....because it isn't cheating anymore.  🙁

Its kinda like the NHL with their trade deadline coming right before the playoffs every season.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
coachdoug
(@coachdoug)
Gold

Wow, that's hard to believe.  Changing rules in Pop Warner is not easy - it has to go through multiple committees and be approved by many stakeholders before it gets approved.  I can't imagine that all those people couldn't see the obvious problems this rule will cause.  This has the potential to be a circus ...

Video clips: www.youtube.com/footballcoachdoug
Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/footballcoachdoug

ReplyQuote
Tripwire
(@tripwire)
Gold
Topic starter  

Wow, that's hard to believe.  Changing rules in Pop Warner is not easy - it has to go through multiple committees and be approved by many stakeholders before it gets approved.  I can't imagine that all those people couldn't see the obvious problems this rule will cause.  This has the potential to be a circus ...

Yea this was changed at national level and we just got it last night at the regional level.

ReplyQuote
jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond

IF they require the players to be on the roster from the the beginning, not sure it changes all that much. If they allow you to add to the roster, well, that could be more problematic.

We start Aug 1. School teams start last week of Aug or even first of September. I don't really have an issue with having a player come out for us, do all the paperwork, participate in practice (or not), go out for the school team, and if he makes it, we put him on "IR" until the end of his school season. If he doesn't make it, he comes back to us. He did all the paperwork, he's qualified to play - not very different than if he was injured or just didn't show up for the middle of the season, LOL.

Who cares?  Again - as long as they were put on the roster and certified before the season started, as with any player.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

The rule was that once on a school roster they were not eligible to play Pop Warner. THe problem with that is many schools have cuts and then the kids would be screwed if they got cut. I think the point was to try and stop that from happening. The better way to handle it would of been to just say if you end up making the school team you are not PW eligible but if you get cut you can play PW. And btw, teams were doing this already, now it is just legal.

I would have to believe that any school program worth a damn would want the kids involved in their own programs and not playing PW ball(S&C etc). If I was hs coach I would do my best to make sure my players were not playing PW ball. The added risk of injury and exposure to bad coaching or learning different technique than what I coached would cause me to strongly discourage it.

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond

In our conference, if you miss 4 games w/ out a Dr's note or some other crazy circumstance, your inelligble. This doesn't effect us, but I know our conference is much more strict than most, at least from what I've gathered on this board.

It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

ReplyQuote
bigshel
(@bigshel)
Gold

This rules actually not new this year, but the application of the rule has changed somewhat. From the 2014 rulebook (Rule 20, S1, Par. E.):

School players who have quit or completed their school season may be added to a Pop Warner roster prior to the add/drop deadline as stated in Article 12 (which sets the deadline at the first Monday in October)...

The rest is the same with respect to not being able to play PW if they were removed due to injury or concussion. What HAS changed is (1) that they have to have been certified and listed on the roster in League One as inactive and (2) they must be activated by the third Monday in October.

I'm not making any judgement here, just clarifying that this isn't necessarily new, just not widely known.

ReplyQuote
Tripwire
(@tripwire)
Gold
Topic starter  

What they are essentially saying is that you can have all of your freshman rostered on your pop warner.  Let them play their entire freshman season and the 3rd week of october (playoff time) you can put them on your team.

That is huge.  Sorry but it is.  You have freshman who have been in the gym all year, practicing every day (as opposed to pop warner 6 hours a week rule).  its just a gigantic advantage. Maybe I am seeing something different.  The prior years have allowed a player to sign up if they dropped from the freshman before a certain date but now they are allowing them to be rostered at the start of the season.  There is a difference between kids who drop freshman early (usually ones who don't cut it) and grabbing them up after the freshman season is over.

As an example I know of probably 4 freshman that are absolute BEASTS this past year by the time october rolled around and would have changed the course of a program by themselves.  Allowing them to sign up after a season at our high school would have been an insane proposition. 

Who knows, maybe I am seeing more into this than there is, but i think it is a big big mistake.

ReplyQuote
bigshel
(@bigshel)
Gold

What they are essentially saying is that you can have all of your freshman rostered on your pop warner.  Let them play their entire freshman season and the 3rd week of october (playoff time) you can put them on your team.

That is huge.  Sorry but it is.  You have freshman who have been in the gym all year, practicing every day (as opposed to pop warner 6 hours a week rule).  its just a gigantic advantage. Maybe I am seeing something different.  The prior years have allowed a player to sign up if they dropped from the freshman before a certain date but now they are allowing them to be rostered at the start of the season.  There is a difference between kids who drop freshman early (usually ones who don't cut it) and grabbing them up after the freshman season is over.

As an example I know of probably 4 freshman that are absolute BEASTS this past year by the time october rolled around and would have changed the course of a program by themselves.  Allowing them to sign up after a season at our high school would have been an insane proposition. 

Who knows, maybe I am seeing more into this than there is, but i think it is a big big mistake.

Trip, I wasn't arguing the effect of the rule change, just that the specifics of it's application. The date changeing to the third Monday from the first Monday is part of the application, as is the fact that they must have been listed in League One as dropped prior to activating them. I suspect you are right - people will find a way to take advantage of it. I was just pointing out that the ability to add H.S. players to your roster was already in the rulebook for 2014.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

If the school schedule & Pop Warner schedule were the same, this wouldn't be a problem.  Then you'd have the outlet for players who were cut from school teams, and by the time the school team stopped playing, there'd be no games left in the club schedule either, so no stacking.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

If the school schedule & Pop Warner schedule were the same, this wouldn't be a problem.  Then you'd have the outlet for players who were cut from school teams, and by the time the school team stopped playing, there'd be no games left in the club schedule either, so no stacking.

B

....if you are honest. The local schools aren't all about going to Disney. This could easily become a pretty major conduit to stack post Thanksgiving.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Tripwire
(@tripwire)
Gold
Topic starter  

B

....if you are honest. The local schools aren't all about going to Disney. This could easily become a pretty major conduit to stack post Thanksgiving.

I already heard the cheering from comissioners.  A lot of Freshman teams don't play a ton of games and their season is over fairly quickly.  Listen I am not saying people won't do things correctly.  I myself simply couldn't do it, maybe add 1 stud player and fold him in there and let him rotate, I can see that for the betterment of the team.  But now I am also thinking, DAMN!  With unlimited I know my freshman team at my local high school is filled with some HUGE lineman.

Anyway, I am going to hope for the best and think that most people will do the right thing.  We will know come playoff time when those 4-4 teams become unstoppable haha.  We will see.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

I am going to hope for the best and think that most people will do the right thing.

If it's legal, then isn't it now the right thing?

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: