Notifications
Clear all

Question about clock after penalty

Page 1 / 2

HCScott
(@herb-scott)
Bronze
Topic starter  

I'm hoping to find out where to get official info about the differing scenarios for the clock to run after a penalty and/or to remain stopped after a penalty. I've had my scenario answered both ways 4 times so I appreciate  the answers but would also like to know how to find an official determination.

Scenario, down 14-13 we get the ball at our own 40 with 5 minutes remaining in the game. We drive to the 3 yard line and on 2nd down run the ball to the 1 foot line, on 3rd down we punch it in for the score with 30 seconds remaining but the official calls us for an illegal shift. After he marks off the 5 yards he restarts the clock.

Should the official restart the clock after an apparent score when the clock was stopped at the end of the play?
Or does the clock restart after being spotted since the score did not count?

Just to finish the story, I thought that the score stopped the clock and it would remain so after the mark off so we didn't notice the restart of the clock until it ran down to 15 seconds and then we used our last timeout. We then ran no play and the offsides penalty moved the ball to the 3 and on the next play we got stuffed inside the 1 but with only 5 seconds left, the clock ran out and we lost.

"The quarterback must go down and he must go down hard"

mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

The action that caused the clock to stop or run at the end of the previous play dictates what happens next.

You scored which stops the clock until the ensuing KO. So the clock should have stopped until you snapped the football after the penalty was accessed. It sounds like the Ref started the clock on the ready for play whistle which in this case would be incorrect.

Im sure Bob can chime in on all the specifics of clock stoppage....when and why and for how long. Its all very confusing too me. 

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

Im sure Bob can chime in on all the specifics of clock stoppage....when and why and for how long. Its all very confusing too me.

Maybe I'll give a good answer after I get an answer at forum.officiating.com in a thread re clock status after an inadvertent whistle.

My understanding has been that in all  the major codes, if a down is repeated, the clock starts the same as it did the 1st time.  So if the clock had been started with the snap on a play on which a foul occurred for which the penalty was accepted, resulting in the down's being repeated, the clock would start again on the snap, but otherwise -- as is the case above -- it starts with the ready-for-play; it can't start before the penalty is administered, so many running-clock situations are impossible, the RFP being the earliest it can start.  So I think the ruling on the field was correct.

But my understanding may change based on the answer I get for my question.

ReplyQuote
HCScott
(@herb-scott)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Maybe I'll give a good answer after I get an answer at forum.officiating.com in a thread re clock status after an inadvertent whistle.

My understanding has been that in all  the major codes, if a down is repeated, the clock starts the same as it did the 1st time.  So if the clock had been started with the snap on a play on which a foul occurred for which the penalty was accepted, resulting in the down's being repeated, the clock would start again on the snap, but otherwise -- as is the case above -- it starts with the ready-for-play; it can't start before the penalty is administered, so many running-clock situations are impossible, the RFP being the earliest it can start.  So I think the ruling on the field was correct.

But my understanding may change based on the answer I get for my question.

Well that blows me out of the water.

"The quarterback must go down and he must go down hard"

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond

Clock starts, it's like the TD never happened. Reverts back to whatever the status was of the previous plau. I got burned on this once many hears ago.

If it'/s defensive penalty, then it stops no matter what.

It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

My understanding has been that in all  the major codes, if a down is repeated, the clock starts the same as it did the 1st time.  So if the clock had been started with the snap on a play on which a foul occurred for which the penalty was accepted, resulting in the down's being repeated, the clock would start again on the snap.

This is my understanding as well.

ReplyQuote
SingleWingGoombah
(@singlewinggoombah)
Gold

Yeah, my understanding is it reverts back to clock status based on previous completed down.  If clock was running for the play you had a penalty, then it would run once the ball was ready for play.

ReplyQuote
coachmyles
(@coachmyles)
Bronze

Clock starts, it's like the TD never happened. Reverts back to whatever the status was of the previous plau. I got burned on this once many hears ago.

If it'/s defensive penalty, then it stops no matter what.

Does not matter if it is a defensive penalty or offensive penalty, if the clock is running before a penalty it will run once the ball is ready for play.

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare to win"
The General Robert Montgomery Knight
(Bobby Knight)
Amat Victoria Curad
"Victory Favors the PREPARED!"

ReplyQuote
Joker number 8
(@joker-number-8)
Silver

The clock shall start with the ready-for-play whistle if the clock was stopped for any reason other than 3-4-3 or an untimed down. Your facts above do not meet any of the 3-4-3 exceptions and it was no an untimed down.

Referee properly adminstered this foul

Todd

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond

Does not matter if it is a defensive penalty or offensive penalty, if the clock is running before a penalty it will run once the ball is ready for play.

That doesn't sound right. Otherwise D could just commit a off sides every play & run the clock out. Bob, rule book please?

Could be right, sometimes I mix up NFL & HS rules. But if you are right, I know how I'll be ending games w/ the lead from now on. lol

ReplyQuote
SingleWingGoombah
(@singlewinggoombah)
Gold

That doesn't sound right. Otherwise D could just commit a off sides every play & run the clock out. Bob, rule book please?

Could be right, sometimes I mix up NFL & HS rules. But if you are right, I know how I'll be ending games w/ the lead from now on. lol

Ref can choose to stop the clock if you attempt to do this. 

ReplyQuote
SingleWingGoombah
(@singlewinggoombah)
Gold

Also:

There is a 10-1-2: No team shall repeatedly commit fouls which halve the distance to the goal line:

Or

10-1-5: Neither team shall commit any act which, in the opinion of the ref, tends to make a travesty of the game.

ReplyQuote
SingleWingGoombah
(@singlewinggoombah)
Gold

3-5-6 : When a team attempts to conserve or consume time illegally, the referee shall order the clock started or stopped.

ReplyQuote
coachmyles
(@coachmyles)
Bronze

Not a solid plan, seeing as though you would be giving up five yards a pop with little to no time running off the clock. The offense would be trying to snap the ball as quickly as possible, since they are behind.

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare to win"
The General Robert Montgomery Knight
(Bobby Knight)
Amat Victoria Curad
"Victory Favors the PREPARED!"

ReplyQuote
COACH JC
(@winged)
Diamond

3-5-6 : When a team attempts to conserve or consume time illegally, the referee shall order the clock started or stopped.

Even if you just did it once or twice to ice the clock, seems like a massive loophole.

Been like 3 years since I played a close game & had to worry about a last second play or drive, so apparently I'm a little out of touch w/ this. lol

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: