Notifications

Rule question  

RSS

Millz
(@coachmillz)
Bronze
October 3, 2020 4:41 pm  

I need clarification on a rule. The ref called a holding penalty on us after we got a TD with less than a minute left in the half. After the penalty the head official signaled to run the clock. And we had no time outs and we had to hurry to run a play. The half ends. Isn't the clock supposed to stop after a holding penalty? 

Same game the opposing team is given delay of game with 3 minutes left in the game. After the delay the ref signals to run the clock again. We told him you can't run the clock on a dead ball. He said that's the rules in high school. This is not college or the pros. 

With his thinking if I'm up by one touch down I'll just keep getting delay of game on purpose and win the game by holding the ball.

I know we're right, we're protesting the game but I have to show them in the highschool football rule book. If anyone can help that would be great. 

This topic was modified 3 weeks ago by Millz

Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
October 3, 2020 11:52 pm  
Posted by: @coachmillz

I need clarification on a rule. The ref called a holding penalty on us after we got a TD with less than a minute left in the half. After the penalty the head official signaled to run the clock. And we had no time outs and we had to hurry to run a play. The half ends. Isn't the clock supposed to stop after a holding penalty? 

No, the penalty doesn't change the status of the clock.  It goes back to whatever it was on the down that was to be repeated.  If it was running then, it runs now.

Same game the opposing team is given delay of game with 3 minutes left in the game. After the delay the ref signals to run the clock again. We told him you can't run the clock on a dead ball. He said that's the rules in high school. This is not college or the pros. 

With his thinking if I'm up by one touch down I'll just keep getting delay of game on purpose and win the game by holding the ball.

I know we're right, we're protesting the game but I have to show them in the highschool football rule book. If anyone can help that would be great. 

The provision is in 3-4-3.  In Fed, "The clock shall start with the snap...if the clock was stopped because: ...The penalty for a delay of game foul is accepted."

NCAA's 3-4-3 is a little more involved: "He shall order the game clock or play clock started or stopped whenever either team conserves or consumes playing time by tactics obviously unfair. This includes starting the game clock on the snap if the foul is by the team ahead in the score. As a guideline, referees should consider invoking this rule when the game clock is under five minutes of each half."  NCAA also has an automatic provision that's in effect in the last 2 minutes of a half, and another automatic start-on-the-snap after Team A commits a delay-of-game foul while in a scrimmage-kick formation.

32wedge liked
ReplyQuote
Share: