Clear all

when does clock start

Threepwood
(@wettstein)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Okay, for you experts out there, please answer the question below:

NFHS rules

I've seen several references stating when the clock is stopped, but very few about when it is started.  It seems that the answer differs from crew to crew, so I would appreciate it if you could reference particular rules when stating your answer.

Change of possession - clock stops, when does it start?  Ready to play signal or snap?
Penalty - RTP or snap?
Run out of bounds? RTP or snap?
Incomplete pass? RTP or snap?
After kick off ruled dead? RTP or snap?
After official time out? -RTP or snap?
After team time out? RTP or snap?

It seems to us that these rules changed each week with different officiating crews.

CoachMattC
(@coachmattc)
Gold

Definitely not an expert but have been trying to learn more about this side of the game. Highly recommend reading it for yourself instead if taking my word for it.

This link is to the 2014 rulebook, most recent I could find a link to quickly. Don't think any of this changed in the last couple years but could be wrong.

http://www.sdcfoa.org/wp-content/uploads/NFHS_Rules.pdf

Go to Rule 3 Section  4.

The rule of thumb in most middle of the period situations is upon the RTP signal (the chop) the clock does what it already doing before whatever happened to stop it. For example, if the clock was running and there is a stoppage in play penalty for illegal procedure (false start) on the offense, the clock would stop while the ball was respotted, then the clock would start again when the RTP signal is given. If the clock was stopped before the penalty it will remain stopped until the snap.

Change of possession - clock stops, when does it start?  Ready to play signal or snap? Snap
Penalty - RTP or snap? See above
Run out of bounds? RTP or snap? Snap
Incomplete pass? RTP or snap? Snap (note this can be a legal or illegal forward pass)
After kick off ruled dead? RTP or snap? Need more details. Was the kick returned by receiving team? Touched by kicking team? Did it go untouched OOB? Into the end zone?
After official time out? -RTP or snap? See above
After team time out? RTP or snap? Snap

‎"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." Benjamin Franklin

ReplyQuote
Share: