Notifications

Anybody ever heard of On, inside Gap, then LB blocking?  

RSS

Thenab90
(@thenab90)
Bronze
August 17, 2017 6:54 am  

I'm used to GOD, GOL, and GOO blocking rules. Just curious

gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
August 17, 2017 6:57 am  

Nope. What happens to a LB who walks up to the A gap when the d-line is in a 202?

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
Thenab90
(@thenab90)
Bronze
August 17, 2017 7:18 am  

Lol good point

ReplyQuote
Thenab90
(@thenab90)
Bronze
August 17, 2017 7:19 am  

Do you teach Gap first?

ReplyQuote
Thenab90
(@thenab90)
Bronze
August 17, 2017 7:20 am  

Also what is 202?

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
August 17, 2017 7:59 am  

Yup, heard of it. Kinda archaic really. Too many problems with it. 202 are d line techniques. Head up over the center and guards. So what Gumby describes is what causes that rule problems. Most people protect their inside gap first with gap schemes. That is why most rules start with a G. Even IOL (which is actually a good rule) protects inside first.

ReplyQuote
blockandtackle
(@coacharnold)
Silver
August 17, 2017 8:08 am  

I'm used to GOD, GOL, and GOO blocking rules. Just curious

Yeah, it's OIL=On, Inside Gap, Linebacker

That was the old school way to teach base blocking when teams first started using blocking rule acronyms.

It works ok.  If a defense is misaligned or unsound with someone head up and another guy on the inside gap it can have issues, like in the example above, but usually it's fine.

GOB and GOL are the same thing and just invert the first 2 rules to protect inside gap first in case something like that happens, but even that doesn't really fix the problem.  Then your G would just downblock the LB in A gap and who knows who gets the 2 tech?  If the T defines the 2 tech as "On" the G and not in the inside "Gap," then the 2 is coming free, so it's a wash.

Personally I prefer track blocking because the acronyms each have issues and don't handle post-snap movement as well on their own.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
August 17, 2017 8:23 am  

Yeah, I think SAB or TKO are probably the most fool proof rules. They cover everything. Personally I never could get TKO to work well. I just never learned how to coach it. I have went with  SAB as the base rule and did very well with it. It is also what we call wash.

I prefer GOB. I teach it that the outside blocker will always chip hard the defender to his inside. We had calls if the inside blocker needed help and depending on the team we would combo that block or just turn it into GOD/double. Not something you want to do week one (the calls that is) but growing into that can be really advantageous. Then, for teams that like to move like any stack defense we would just SAB. A little off topic but I also really like GDB for the player at the poa. It often gets me a double at the poa. For what we ran that person was usually the te (we ran power at the C gap more often than not but could move it if we had to). It also gets a 6 tech kicked in off tackle plays which is better than trying to "on" block him out of the poa imo.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Illinois
Other
Club Admin
August 17, 2017 9:40 am  

OIL!!  I dont see many 2-0-2 alignments.  With the advent of 335 and 353, you are a lot more apt to see 3 and 4 techs

I ran the 50 front with 3-0-3. 🙂

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
August 17, 2017 10:33 am  

OIL!!  I dont see many 2-0-2 alignments.  With the advent of 335 and 353, you are a lot more apt to see 3 and 4 techs

I ran the 50 front with 3-0-3. 🙂

Agree. Probably haven't seen once since maybe 3rd grade.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
SingleWingGoombah
(@singlewinggoombah)
Gold
August 17, 2017 10:52 am  

That is essentially my base for tackles this year, except we call it MOMI, Man on, man inside.  It is what we use against a 53 front as that is most of what I will see. 

ReplyQuote
bigshel
(@bigshel)
Gold
August 20, 2017 4:04 pm  

We have used OIL in the past as a backside rule to cut off inside gap penetration.

ReplyQuote
Seabass
(@seabass)
Gold
August 27, 2017 12:52 pm  

We are IOL in our gap scheme. Inside gap, On, Lbr but always inside. It works well for what we do. We have a call for a combo for a ON D lineman if he's at the POA. If he's backside of the POA we just base block him. The kids know who that guy is.

ReplyQuote
Share: