RSS

Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
February 22, 2020 12:40 pm  

I mean have you been having trouble with the snap with the snapper looking between his legs as he throws it, or has the trouble been with the snapper's head up?

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
February 22, 2020 1:41 pm  
Posted by: @bob-goodman

I mean have you been having trouble with the snap with the snapper looking between his legs as he throws it, or has the trouble been with the snapper's head up?

We've always taught "head up".  I tried teaching the little guys to look between their legs out of desperation, but the geometry doesn't work with 2nd/3rd graders.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
February 25, 2020 10:10 am  
Posted by: @mahonz
Posted by: @coach-kyle2

I want to know how to consistently get double teams without creating some convoluted explanation. I'm worried about the kids understanding it. This is why I don't like zone blocking very much. I don't understand the jargon, and it always seems like every explanation is written up against specific defenses. I want some sort of rule that always works no matter what the situation is. For example, if during our cadence the defensive lineman change their gaps, I want them to understand in a split second who they're going to block. I always see people writing stuff on a whiteboard and it seems so obvious who they would get, but you don't get a bird's eye view when you're standing on the line.

Truly the only way to consistently get first level double teams is to teach zone blocking. Acronym rules wont do that for you vs the heavy fronts. Neither does zone to a point but it does do a better job on how the backside blocks so you should end up with one more combo block....generally speaking. If you want to teach a system whereas the kids will indeed do a better job vs all fronts.....figure out what you dont understand about zone blocking. You wont regret it. Talking to Joe is always a good start. Zach as well. Me...I have been out of the loop on that a bit to long. 

I used rich Kelly's rules one season and use it with teams that can't count, literally

------------check

----you------us---------me

------------lineman

You = backside 1st level, this tells backside teammate that's "you"

Us= double to climb (" check"normally climbs or slips)

Me= solo block

Check = means I'm uncovered and checking playside teammates call, to chip or fast climb

If you're teaching your kids how to zone step and get "even" or as we say"toes on toes,up  the nose" in your fit the rest is gravy

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
February 25, 2020 10:19 am  

To elaborate on my previous post

Zone right

---w---------m------s

----5-------1------3-----6

--------0--0--#--0--0--0

Left tackle has "check" he attacks the 1 tech with left guard in a "me" and slips to will

Left guard has "me" solo block 

Center has "check" he attacks the 3 and slips into Mike

Right guard has "me" or solo

Right tackle has check, he will hear an "us" from playside and "me" from backside

TE has "us" so they will zone combo to the Sam based on backer flow

Notice we ran zone strong and only had 1 true zone combo, the rest were slip blocks vs this over front.   If some reads an outside shade as a "me" that's fine we combo. The calls are player determined and I will coach the covers reads best I can, I never want player anxiety over identifying who to block bc that will destroy the literal block

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 4
Share: