Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze
3rd - 5th
Coordinator
July 7, 2020 10:08 am  

Coaches, 

Great conversation, thanx. 

Some thoughts, maybe they'll be helpful ... 

We are happy with 'running interference', a slobber-knocker is great, but just getting a body between the defender and the RB works for us.

Like 32Wedge, we put our guys on a track & our C blocks 'sidewise'...  (Coach, I appreciate the pdf....  can't wait to share it w/ my HC - we can use some of this). 

Our splits are 1 ft.  We don't want to our G's to have to run very far, but in the past, had problems with kids stepping on each other's feet.  Small splits works for us.   

We get a lot of Double A gap looks - people seem to be under the illusion that will keep our G's home.  The smaller splits help.   

When we have 2 legit G's...

We fill for BSG with the FB on our Buck-short, which would be our version of a power play.  [Wing-T teams usually lead with the FB on 'power', but we have limited time to practice, and narrowed our focus to Buck and Belly plays].  We tell our FB this is his turn to get some 'pay-back' and put the kid coming to his gap in the 'cross-hairs'.  

Our C blocks Play Side A gap, and PST down blocks get on track. If needed, we have the PST double w/ C if there's no DL in the B gap.   
TE down blocks for C gap / gets on track.   WB, down blocks coming off TE hip...  / gets on track.   

PSG kicks out the End
BSG leads up into the hole. 

Like 32wedge, we've run this play back-to-back-to-back, sometimes more than 10 times in a row. 

If just one legit Guard, we have the BSG kick out the DE and PSG down blocks / gets on track

Maybe this will help, 

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

32wedge liked
ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
July 7, 2020 10:34 am  
Posted by: @coyote

We are happy with 'running interference', a slobber-knocker is great, but just getting a body between the defender and the RB works for us.

Our splits are 1 ft.  We don't want to our G's to have to run very far, but in the past, had problems with kids stepping on each other's feet.  Small splits works for us.   

Agree on the interference. A big reason I "gave up" on pulling is that during the season I described, I have zero film of my pulling G making contact with anyone. I do have film of multiple defenders going out of their way to get out of his way. A 225lb 8th grader with wheels will have that effect.

That year, we pushed the splits about as far as I've ever seen. 4 feet between the C and Gs. Not exaggerating. We were still able to pull and fill for the puller. Talent had a LOT to do with it. We were able to do pretty much anything we wanted that season.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

Coyote liked
ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator
Virginia
Middle School
Only / Head Coach

Bill03 liked
ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator
Virginia
Middle School
Only / Head Coach
July 7, 2020 12:09 pm  

I think if you teach your runner to follow the puller to a specific point of attack, LBs will come to the puller and you get contact. 

If you give your runner freedom to determine where he runs, it will be virtually impossible for pullers to be effective pulling to a designated location.

ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze
3rd - 5th
Coordinator
July 7, 2020 12:30 pm  

@32wedge

Your video... I'd say that defender got freight trained.

Posted by: @32wedge

If you give your runner freedom to determine where he runs, it will be virtually impossible for pullers to be effective pulling to a designated location.

One of the things we learned will almost always happen, is the RB's will run right past the hole trying to get outside.  Esp. the ones who played RB at the lower level.    Takes some time, but we keep asking the RB's if they like getting beat up.  They'll complain there was no hole, we say their was, they'll roll his eyes or something...  This season we're going to make more use of phone camera's in practice,  helps to show the kid what he did wrong.

We talk about 'eye discipline' with the parents, but with the kids, we point out who the RB's 'Personal Protector' is... and to get on his butt and follow him.   Otherwise, be ready to get lit up.  

Last season, we added a twist... should done this yrs ago....   during 'bird dog' we have the backs stand back and watch the blocking.  Just see what is going on... as the Down blockers go one way, and the Puller goes the other... we stop the steps where they are crossing at the hole.  

Is there a hole there?   Everyone of them said NO.   Then we had the line take one more step, and the light started shining through.  With another step...  Is there a hole there?  Everyone on them said YES.   When they weren't concentrating on what they were doing, and saw what we coaches saw, then they could see what was going on.

Then we put the HB's hand on the BSG's back and told him to walk behind the Pulling G.   [Still Bird dogging it]   and the HB found he was walking thru a hole.   Things got better faster doing this... we're planning do it again this yr. 

Hope this is helpful

This post was modified 1 month ago 2 times by Coyote

ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze
3rd - 5th
Coordinator
July 7, 2020 12:39 pm  
Posted by: @gumby_in_co

Talent had a LOT to do with it. We were able to do pretty much anything we wanted that season.

Talent... makes us looks like coaching geniuses.  😎 

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
July 7, 2020 1:54 pm  
Posted by: @32wedge

I think if you teach your runner to follow the puller to a specific point of attack, LBs will come to the puller and you get contact. 

Agree. We never had trouble with pullers making contact in the double wing. Mega Splits is a completely different animal. We often describe it as a "kick return from scrimmage".

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

32wedge liked
ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Coach
July 9, 2020 4:50 pm  

Pulling is a great way to play against 5-3 defenses. Its also a great way to lose a lineman in your blocking scheme if he doesn't hit/screen anyone. 

We pull on power just bsg, this install is one the most lengthy bc of "if this, then that" kinda scenario. 

One of my proudest moments in youthball I was a spectator a new coach was trying to run power and the puller would just get in the way or run into empty space. I told the coach at half time just line him up next to the guard playside (7u btw). They ran clean with that play in the second half and I was deemed a hero lol. 

Point is if you can't pull the. Over load , especially if your breakfast from the huddle n snap the ball quick.

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3
Share: