Notifications
Clear all

Revisiting SAB

ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Topic starter  

A kid I used to coach got his first OC job at the org I used to run, coached with him last year in the JR high team great kid, very smart.  Small talk starts around building his system.  We started small, his age group is 10/11.  He wants to run zone and gap like we did with jr high from pistol. 

I said zone is probably not the play considering you can't coach the line and the dad helpers probably can't either.  Kid convo he says "what if we get them to run in tracks, would that help?", Then the SAB talk started. 

Still in very early stages however it looks like he's falling in love with the SAB running it playside for his straight ahead "zone" runs with different rb aiming points and SAB down for his gap/power/counter plays. 

I obviously told him to try and focus on one scheme and let that be his foundation.  

Long story short, does anyone even run SAB anymore?  Does anyone have experience running it any other way but gao scheme? Kinda curious myself now.

Stay warm and well fed friends!

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

We don’t downblock at MCHS, but we downblocked in the Double Wing on certain plays, or when we faced a tight or TNT front.

—Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze

The kids I coach are younger (8U) than your age group, but I use mostly SAB blocking. It worked well for us against the 6-2, which we saw a lot of this season. I also used "X" and "Part" variants to help get the matchups I wanted on B Gap runs.

Coach Terry

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

I consider SAB a poor mans zone. So if he starts with SAB, in time he might progress to zone. 

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond
Topic starter  
Posted by: @mahonz

I consider SAB a poor mans zone. So if he starts with SAB, in time he might progress to zone. 

Hope so, ocs have a tendancy to love a scheme but can't teach anyone how to block it smh .  Then bitch they don't have enough good linemen

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @bucksweep58

Hope so, ocs have a tendancy to love a scheme but can't teach anyone how to block it smh .  Then bitch they don't have enough good linemen

That's why so many won't pull.  They can't find a lineman who "knows how." 😡 

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator

Posted by: @bucksweep58

Long story short, does anyone even run SAB anymore?  Does anyone have experience running it any other way but gao scheme? Kinda curious myself now.

TKO is my base scheme for power, counter, and trap.  I teach it with the man's shoulder to your inside as your target.  Get shoulder to shoulder with that target as quick as possible.  Never go around your target.  Help that man inside if needed.  We can add a help call if the man outside of you needs help and you are free to give it.  It's a lot easier teach than SAB.

I used SAB, when I was O-line coach at a school in TN, with everyone on tracks at the same angle.  The concept is simple but it is a very hard teach.  The whole line has to be in sync and getting off the ball together and at the same angle.  One guy slow off the line or one guy whose 30 degrees is 45 degrees will allow big holes and cause big trouble.  It can be great but the timing and geometry has to be right or you are better off teaching the Gap-Down-Backer rule.

This post was modified 3 weeks ago 2 times by 32wedge

Seth54 and CoachDP liked
ReplyQuote
COACHDT
(@hawk2018)
Copper

What do you guys teach as the first step on TKO or SAB?  I have been watching some old clinics and found a coach who  used the first step behind like the wedge(see attached). I have not taught it this way, but it seems like it would simplify it since I teach the wedge already.  

Coyote liked
ReplyQuote
Share: