mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
October 2, 2017 10:00 am  

Gumby,

You'd never trap a 3 tech?

Is that just a wide splits thing?

Yes

As we were experimenting our way thru things whamming with wide splits we had to attach some rules. The cleanest rule was to trap to a covered OLM....so a 2 or a 4 is the conclusion. A 1 or a 3 becomes more of a spacing thing....plus we do have one OLM that just cant think for himself.  >:(

With the wide splits the difference between a 3 and a 4 is significant.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
blockandtackle
(@coacharnold)
Silver
October 2, 2017 10:16 am  

Couple things that have posed problems with trap this year for us is.....we area spread based team.

1. Double A Gap DTs
2. Ends slow playing making the tackle

Have a couple ideas on how to combat this.

Double A gaps....currently we.... C blocks back, playside G blocks down, playside T climbs to 2nd level. Backside G kicks out DE, backside T scoop/climb......problem is my C isn't quick enough to pick that up. Either rep him to death some more (we've spent much time on it already) or is there another way to combat this issue?

Ends slow playing.....same as above....but ends will slow play and chase our back down from behind, always a positive gain but usually a modest 2-4 yd gain. I'm contemplating on splitting out my Ts another 12" to move those DEs out further away. Our splits are 18" already. I'm just not too confident in the big splits thing as I've never had anything wider than 18". Is there any coaching points I should need to know about splits around 3ft wide?

Just trying to get us better for the late season push.

Some things...

Cut down the BSG's split to move that 2i closer so the C can block back on him easier.  The C doesn't really need to do much: just snap the ball and open up flat, or even slightly back, to get his head in front of the 2i and get the 2i's thighboard.

I'm not sure how a slow playing DE is catching the RB from behind.  Is this the backside DE or the playside DE?

If you're in gun and having problems with the BSDE running the heel line and making the play on the RB, have the BST or BSTE hinge onto the BSDE.  If you have a 2i, this should work fine.  Again, you don't need a big block, you just need to get in his way for a second.

If it's the playside DE, your G needs to just finish that block.  Come back up into the line slightly.  Hit with head and foot in the hole, make contact with the outside shoulder to his inside hip, then uncoil the hip and flipper on contact to get explosion and movement and run through the block.

Either way, Trap needs to hit fast.  The RB can't dance.  He needs to attack the downblock as fast as he can and blast through the hole like he's shot out of a cannon.  That will bring the guy being trapped to the guy doing the trapping and make it a heck of a lot harder for a BSDE to make tackles from behind.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
October 2, 2017 10:17 am  

Gumby,

You'd never trap a 3 tech?

Is that just a wide splits thing?

Having a foot to foot DW background, I of course want to trap everything, but after seeing it fail on grass, wasting practice time, I had to defer to the old guy.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
October 2, 2017 10:26 am  

Having a foot to foot DW background, I of course want to trap everything, but after seeing it fail on grass, wasting practice time, I had to defer to the old guy.

There have been many things learned because of wide splits. Our first game with them we used a traditional rhythmic cadence and why not.

Holy cow what a disaster that was. Changed it at half time on the fly....really not the time to change you cadence !

Now im thinking maybe we revisit this and trap from the outside in rather than traditional inside out.

Mega splits = constant tweaking since there is no manual.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
October 2, 2017 9:42 pm  

Now im thinking maybe we revisit this and trap from the outside in rather than traditional inside out.

I'm ready to do it. Instead of "Tiger at Aaron", Call it "Omaha at Aaron". Our QB might be more comfortable with an outside trap since he seems to hate running inside so much.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond
October 3, 2017 12:06 pm  

How would you trap this front:

V      V          V
        V  V    V V    V         
O        O O X O O O
                              O

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
October 3, 2017 12:34 pm  

V      V          V
        V  V    V V    V         
O        O O X O O O
                              O

Why would you want to?

ReplyQuote
blockandtackle
(@coacharnold)
Silver
October 3, 2017 12:34 pm  

V      V          V
        V  V    V V    V         
O        O O X O O O
                              O

Not an ideal front to run trap at, but you could run it to the left with with the C blocking back and BST scooping the 3 or 4i on his side.  Open completely flat and get his head in front.

Trap the 3/4i on the left, release G to MLB, and send the PST to the 2nd level to get the first LB he sees.

Might run it off Rocket action to the weak side.

ReplyQuote
angalton
(@angalton)
Platinum
October 4, 2017 5:15 am  

V      V          V
        V  V    V V    V         
O        O O X O O O
                              O

Trap the 3 on the left side. Center blocks away and right tackle blocks down. LG and LT go to backer.

The greatest accomplishment is not in never failing, but in rising again after you fail.

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
October 4, 2017 8:18 am  

I can draw up a trap to the right that works just as well. Center to mlb. Rg to 2, RT chips to MLB or doubles 2. TE to FBO/FBI or fans the de(depends on what the OLB is playing). Wing inserts to OLB. BST cuts the 3. You can potentially get 2 bodies on the 2 backers that can make a play. My point is you can draw just about any play against any front. To me, this is a scouting issue. Who do I want to trap, who can I not block, who needs a double? Honestly, I run power at that. Double at the poa. Wing and G on the backers.

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond
October 4, 2017 8:43 am  

Trap the 3 on the left side. Center blocks away and right tackle blocks down. LG and LT go to backer.

That is what I am thinking. It is ripe for a huge play if we block it correctly.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
October 8, 2017 8:40 am  

That is what I am thinking. It is ripe for a huge play if we block it correctly.

I'm always thinking, what if we don't block it correctly?  So I'd rather block out on both sides of that hole, and fold to the LB.  If the fold block is missed, at least nobody's stopping that play in the backfield.

ReplyQuote
blockandtackle
(@coacharnold)
Silver
October 8, 2017 11:56 am  

I'm always thinking, what if we don't block it correctly?  So I'd rather block out on both sides of that hole, and fold to the LB.  If the fold block is missed, at least nobody's stopping that play in the backfield.

A fold on the MLB actually looks pretty good here, especially if you can scoop the BST onto whatever that DL is inside him.

The thing is that you usually trap a DL because you're having a hard time basing him or reaching him, such as when he's just shooting the gap before the G can get a piece of him.  It's a solution to a specific problem: the G's inability to block the DT and maybe even the T's inability to down block him, as well.  If you can base him, then just base him and fold to LB.

These two plays are nice compliments and it's pretty easy to teach the fold once you have the Trap down.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3
Share: