[Sticky] What's Difficult About the Pull?  

Page 6 / 6
  RSS

terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze
September 22, 2019 11:59 am  

And the excuse often given is that their coaches had to “dumb down” whatever the blocking scheme should be, so that it is no longer a scheme

The ironic part is that if they did "dumb it down", it frees up time to do more things. I simplified my scheme after learning about how Coach Gregory and Coach Cox do things. Since even the backups know who to block, I've been able to install more plays this year.

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold
September 22, 2019 1:01 pm  

And the excuse often given is that their coaches had to “dumb down” whatever the blocking scheme should be, so that it is no longer a scheme.  The other issue is that there is no “blocking scheme” for whatever their made-up, self-invented offense is, where the extent of their “teaching” is, “All you have to do is block the man in front of you.”

—Dave

nd the thing is...they do not have to...remember the new AC I mentioned...I suggested that he should talk to the oline between series to see if the defense is doing what we expected...well, this past weekend he did it, and the defense was not doing what we expected...and he made adjustments to the scheme to deal with what they were actually doing...we had folks folding back on a difficult 2 tech, and without seeing the film, I think the boys did great (we were tearing holes in the defense after the adjustments were given to them)...he had his dry erase and was coaching them up while the defense was out...this week we are putting in ISO scheme 🙂

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
September 24, 2019 7:11 pm  

I simplified my scheme after learning about how Coach Gregory and Coach Cox do things.

TPJ, how so?

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze
September 25, 2019 7:18 am  

I switched it to where no one would block "on". Depending on the opponent, I will do one of two things:

1) Most of the time, I use SAB blocking (inspired by Coach Gregory) with the BSG and/or BST pulling. I do this to try negate stunts and blitzes. I even have the backs do it when I run Coach Parker's Beast Tank plays (I don't pull on these, though)

2) If the play includes "Wash" (Coach Cox's term), the playside OL blocks down and the backside steps with the inside foot and reach blocks.

The only other type of blocking I use is wedge. They never forget this because, "that's the one where we move together to hit Coach"

This is what's worked for me so far this season. Hope it helps someone!

Coach Terry

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite
October 7, 2019 3:43 am  

We never had to dumb down our offense. We tried different things through the years. Some worked. Some didn't. I will say some teams or units caught on quicker than others. That either allowed us to install more or we installed less. We did other things to simply things for the kids. I have mentioned it at least a 100 times here, in the dw we only pulled one. There are a bunch of reasons why. At first it was about stupid cutting penalties and the tackle clogging things up. Later it became more about not having to spend time teaching and drilling the cut which I think is much harder to install than a pull. The technique used for pulling changed dramatically over the years which helped as well.

ReplyQuote
Page 6 / 6
Share: