Notifications
Clear all

What's the cure?

Page 2 / 3

joshv155
(@joshv155)
Platinum

Except for teaching kick-slide, I just use 1-Board, 2-Board, Slow Oklahoma, and 3-Cones, and, if we're running zone, 2-Cones.  And I introduce them in that order.

And I never use shields or bags, other than maybe on the first day using a t-shirt-shaped shield with shoulder pads and a jersey on it to teach hand placement.

Does 2 cone differ from 3 cone other than 1 less cone ? I am sure you changed it for a reason with zone blocking. Do tell.

Passio Bellator

ReplyQuote
Vince148
(@vince148)
Gold
Topic starter  

So after talking with Michael this morning and looking through some of DeLaSalle's stuff, I made a couple of changes to practice tonight.

I ditched all the "step" work and focused on the punch and elevating the defender and getting off the ball. So I did use the shield only to practice the punch from a 4-point. We don't have a sled so this was the next best thing. We focused on punching up and getting hip extension. Then we moved to "tennis ball" drill to work on getting some speed out of their stance. Finally, we did Michael's 1-board drill.

I also did O-line "group" work to get them some live action. We went through our sweep and reverse plays.

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

So after talking with Michael this morning and looking through some of DeLaSalle's stuff, I made a couple of changes to practice tonight.

I ditched all the "step" work and focused on the punch and elevating the defender and getting off the ball. So I did use the shield only to practice the punch from a 4-point. We don't have a sled so this was the next best thing. We focused on punching up and getting hip extension. Then we moved to "tennis ball" drill to work on getting some speed out of their stance. Finally, we did Michael's 1-board drill.

I also did O-line "group" work to get them some live action. We went through our sweep and reverse plays.

So how did 1-Board work?

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

Does 2 cone differ from 3 cone other than 1 less cone ? I am sure you changed it for a reason with zone blocking. Do tell.

3-Cone is three 1-on-1's.  2-Cone is two 2-on-2's.  2-Cone would be 3-Cone Version 2 except we never have 12 O-Linemen, so doing it with 3-Cones doesn't work.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
flexbone
(@flexbone)
Bronze

can you elaborate on what the tennis ball and Michael's 1 board drill is? details, purpose, how to set up, etc. Thanks

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

Just gunna put this out there for consumption.  We have been having similar issues on bags and live.  Couldn't seem to do things the same way twice.  Got it wrong 6 out of 10 times!  Trust me, that's not good!  Bad Habits are those things we ALLOW! 

Tuesday's practice was nothing but Classroom session!  (I mean a real Classroom).  I Draw, they fill in the blanks.  1:30 minutes of same.  I draw it, the Oline and Backs draw their blocks and we discuss.  Same thing on Defense, I draw they show us  their keys and how to play them.  We discuss.  Tonight things were so much better in regards to execution!  They really paid attention Tuesday!  With some encouragement, they could tell Us Coaches where we could run Dive and Power!  The could tell US who they blocked and why on a Sweep!  Are we perfect? Nope!  But I feel so much more confident we are at least reading the Same Chapter!    Practice was extremely better than before!  In my book 1.5 hours well spent! 

Its not about what WE as Coaches know. It's about what they are learning!  Retention, Critical Thinking, Observation.  These kids are bright, I just needed to find a way to challenge them to show US what they know.  Then be able to take that on the field and repeat it!  Kids did a great job, using Critical thinking!  Can we do this?  Can we do that?  A tiny Eureka, moment! 

I'll take it!  8) 

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
Vince148
(@vince148)
Gold
Topic starter  

So how did 1-Board work?

A couple of the kids did better, but still see a lot of feet not moving. Thinking of moving them back a little so that there is a wider distance between them at the start, maybe 12-18" between, to give them room to make a step. Then gradually get them a little closer.

ReplyQuote
Vince148
(@vince148)
Gold
Topic starter  

can you elaborate on what the tennis ball and Michael's 1 board drill is? details, purpose, how to set up, etc. Thanks

Tennis ball drill: Lineman in 3 point stance. Stand back about a yard and drop a tennis ball out of your hand. They explode out and try to grab the tennis ball before it hits the ground.

Michael's Board Drill. He has a couple variations. Line kids up across from each with their feet straddling a stripe. Heels are on one set of cones. Place another set of cones maybe a foot behind. On signal, they explode into each other trying to get elevation. You win if you drive your opponent past the cones or put him on the ground. Players also cannot cross the stripe with their feet or they lose. Feet can touch the stripe, but cannot have both feet past the stripe.

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

Its funny about the steps thing...michael and i came to thay conclusion maybe 3-4 years ago...he was with someone here in the board and took rags to riches in the oline by just focusing on getting out fast and striking the defender fast.

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

A couple of the kids did better, but still see a lot of feet not moving. Thinking of moving them back a little so that there is a wider distance between them at the start, maybe 12-18" between, to give them room to make a step. Then gradually get them a little closer.

If they don't like hitting from close, they're definitely not going to like hitting from farther away.

Just put your toes against the heels of one of them before the snap, and tell him his heels better be gone from there when the ball is snapped.

Unless you're in an older age group.  Then you might get killed if he gets blown up.

ReplyQuote
Vince148
(@vince148)
Gold
Topic starter  

If they don't like hitting from close, they're definitely not going to like hitting from farther away.

Hmm. Interesting thought. I was thinking that they would at least realize that they actually might have to move their foot to get to him.

ReplyQuote
Vince148
(@vince148)
Gold
Topic starter  

Ran 1-board again tonight. Seemed to be a little better than last night. We also added slow Oklahoma. That was definitely a game changer and we could see that the kids were doing much better at holding their blocks.

ReplyQuote
Pantherlinecoach
(@pantherlinecoach)
Bronze

My kids beg to run slow Oklahoma just about every practice. O line definitely has been more aggressive since I stole that drill

ReplyQuote
parone
(@parone)
Silver

is the only difference between oklahoma and slow oklahoma that the back is moving slower?

Dream Big.  Work Hard. Stay Humble.

ReplyQuote
parone
(@parone)
Silver

also, michael-is a lot of this stuff in your coaching clinic thing? and is that still available?

Dream Big.  Work Hard. Stay Humble.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: