rpatric
(@rpatric)
Bronze
Maryland
6th - 8th
Head Coach
November 27, 2019 7:17 am  

Hello Coaches,
I have heard about X-Men blocking in several sections of this forum but I'm still not clear on exactly what it entails??? If I'm interpreting what I've read properly, it refers to putting both hands in your opposite armpits to create somewhat of a trap to catch defenders in. Am I on the right track? Just curious if it is something that would be effective in UBSW that I'll be running next season. Our base rules are GOD with GOO used for passing plays. Would you use this technique with all block types? Pull, Kick-out, Trap etc...… Any information would be extremely helpful.
Thanks in advance!

Ryan

32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator
Virginia
Middle School
Only / Head Coach
November 27, 2019 7:37 am  

Hello Coaches,
I have heard about X-Men blocking in several sections of this forum but I'm still not clear on exactly what it entails??? If I'm interpreting what I've read properly, it refers to putting both hands in your opposite armpits to create somewhat of a trap to catch defenders in. Am I on the right track? Just curious if it is something that would be effective in UBSW that I'll be running next season. Our base rules are GOD with GOO used for passing plays. Would you use this technique with all block types? Pull, Kick-out, Trap etc...… Any information would be extremely helpful.
Thanks in advance!

Ryan

I used X-Men blocking with UBSW in 2018.  Yes, it can be very effective.

It forces blockers to block with their feet (eliminates patty caking), prevents them from ducking their head, can trap a defender in a double team, eliminates holding penalties and creates brutal contact with the elbows. 

ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator
Virginia
Middle School
Only / Head Coach
November 27, 2019 7:49 am  

This technique as I understand was developed by Coach DP and he demonstrated it to me.  Here is my take on it:

The forearms are crossed and fists are held tight to the chest/armpits forming an X.  This creates a V at the wrists with the elbows pointed straight ahead.  The V is the primary contact point on one on one blocks.  On double teams, each blocker will make contact with their V on the outside edge of the defender using the outside elbow to clamp the defender in the double team.

On trap/kick-out blocks, it becomes more like a traditional shoulder blocking flipper which is the method many hands blocking coaches teach for trap blocks. 

ReplyQuote
rpatric
(@rpatric)
Bronze
Maryland
6th - 8th
Head Coach
November 27, 2019 7:54 am  

Thanks Coach. Would you have a down field blocker use the same technique on a 2nd level defender in space? Say a pulling guard on a LB? Possibly a WB on a CB?

ReplyQuote
32wedge
(@32wedge)
Silver Moderator
Virginia
Middle School
Only / Head Coach
November 27, 2019 8:02 am  

Thanks Coach. Would you have a down field blocker use the same technique on a 2nd level defender in space? Say a pulling guard on a LB? Possibly a WB on a CB?

Yes.  Absolutely. 

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
November 27, 2019 11:19 am  

Would you have a down field blocker use the same technique on a 2nd level defender in space? Say a pulling guard on a LB? Possibly a WB on a CB?

Every player on our team learns this approach, regardless of position, regardless of who they're blocking.  I don't know why it would ever be used for blocking one defensive position, but not another.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
November 27, 2019 11:47 am  

I used X-Men blocking with UBSW in 2018.  Yes, it can be very effective.

It forces blockers to block with their feet (eliminates patty caking), prevents them from ducking their head, can trap a defender in a double team, eliminates holding penalties and creates brutal contact with the elbows.

It has revolutionized how effective we are, not only up front but out of the backfield.  In addition, once we became comfortable with the approach, it allowed us to focus on other aspects of the block such as footwork, which then took our offense to another level.  When I started teaching it, I didn't have a zippy new name for it; it was just the way we taught blocking.  I'd taught it and demonstrated it for years at clinics.  We would use it as a fight drill, in place of a sumo blocking drill ("Who wants in the circle?").  We weren't trying to simply drive the other player out of the circle; we were trying to hurt each other to see who'd back off first.  Tears were shed and consequently it made us tougher and thus, more aggressive.  It forces the blocker to focus on and use his strength (his legs), instead of focusing on the weakest part (arms).  Other coaches would nod that they understood how it would be effective, but would still revert back to hands because of social mores, or whatnot.  In the meantime, we just kept on with this approach.  We introduced it to our group at EWHS (they'd been a hands/zone blocking team before) and once they saw how effective it was, we had total buy-in.  Our players loved the physical advantage it gave them, because our heaviest offensive linemen was 195 lbs. and our smallest was 150.  It was kinda like Wedge.  They weren't really convinced until they saw for themselves how effective it was.  Honestly, the biggest challenge is teaching players that it's okay to hit to hurt.

I remember showing this to Nate when we had lunch, but I didn't recall that he'd used it.  Then Brian gave it a zippy new name, and now it gets asked about.

Ryan, give me a call if you want more info.  And there's a chance I'll be in DC in January.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
rpatric
(@rpatric)
Bronze
Maryland
6th - 8th
Head Coach
November 27, 2019 12:03 pm  

Thanks for the insight coaches!

When should i contact you Dave? I know we have the holiday this week and you are still rolling with your PW team.
Shall we wait until your season wraps up? Let me know what works.

Have a great turkey day fellas

Ryan

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
November 27, 2019 12:12 pm  

When should i contact you Dave? I know we have the holiday this week and you are still rolling with your PW team.
Shall we wait until your season wraps up? Let me know what works.

Have a great turkey day fellas

Ryan, call me anytime, tonight, Friday, next Tuesday afternoon....doesn't matter.  Except on Thanksgiving.  Having family over.  You have my number.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Share: