Notifications
Clear all

Cold Weather Dress

Page 1 / 2

akpoole
(@akpoole)
Bronze
Topic starter  

Living here in south east TX, we don't always get cold weather. However, we may end up playing our SuperBowl game in cold, rainy weather. We haven't had to play in really cold weather this season. The coldest was probably in the mid fifties. Last year, it was about 30/40 degrees and raining during our SuperBowl game. I didn't have a team in the SuperBowl last year. This year I will. I am going to have our team practice in 30 degree weather Friday to get them acclimated. I also suggested to the parents to purchase "base layer" thermal under garments. I just don't want the weather to be a huge factor.

Any other suggestions?

God created five seasons:  Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall, and last but definitely not least . . . FOOTBALL!!

topekamustangs
(@topekamustangs)
Bronze

If it's wet eztra socks change at 1/2

ReplyQuote
Threepwood
(@wettstein)
Bronze

Men don't wear dresses in Virginia.  Must be a Texas thing.  Is that why ya'll got whupped at the Alamo?  They left that part out of the history books.

;D

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

Extra socks
Gloves - especially for those not handling the ball
Toe Warmers.  Not sure if you can find them in Texas, but they are big here.  They are like hand-warmers, but they stick on the bottom of the inside of the cleat and keep the toes warm
Tent to keep stuff dry - the problem with cold rain is that once you are cold and wet, you can't get rid of that feeling.  Don't allow the kids to stand under it, though. 

We play in cold all the time.  I typically still wear shorts and treat it like fun.  I don't like it that way, but I want our team focused on the game and not the cold.  If I treat the weather like it is no big deal, then they will too. 

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Toe Warmers.  Not sure if you can find them in Texas, but they are big here.  They are like hand-warmers, but they stick on the bottom of the inside of the cleat and keep the toes warm

This.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

You should see our kids when it gets into the 50s. They act like they are going to freeze to death. I remember wearing pantyhose in Jersey when it got cold. Seemed to help.

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

This.

--Dave

I buy them by the big box because I tailgate as a fan a lot.  Those January games in NE are really cold.  They have warmers now that go on your back.  That goes a little overboard. 😀

If the kids don't have long-sleeve UnderArmour-type shirts, that would be a must as well. 

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

I remember wearing pantyhose in Jersey when it got cold.

Rob, what you do in your personal life is your business.  😉

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

Rob, what you do in your personal life is your business.  😉

--Dave

😛

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

I remember wearing pantyhose in Jersey when it got cold.

80 degrees is not cold.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

Men don't wear dresses in Virginia.  Must be a Texas thing.  Is that why ya'll got whupped at the Alamo?  They left that part out of the history books.

I'm guessing your history books are missing 1861 to 1865.

🙂

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
Mean Machine
(@mean-machine)
Bronze

My daughter's high school field hockey team will be playing in the Connecticut State Championship tomorrow morning.  Game time temperature should be 30/40 degrees.  They will be out their in skirts!  Your boys can borrow the skirts after the girls bring home the trophy!

Seriously, I agree with Patriotsfatboy1, the more you make an issue out of the weather, the more the boys will too.  The nastier the weather gets, the louder I yell "THIS IS FOOTBALL WEATHER!!"  I also remind the boys that the other team has to play in it too!

Good luck!

"Deeds not words."  - Ralph DeSantis

ReplyQuote
DREagle
(@coyouthcoach)
Silver

They just postponed our championship game scheduled for tomorrow b/c the temps were scheduled to be in the 20's with snow.  Of course we spent all week outfitting the boys and getting them ready to play in those conditions so we could work it to our advantage.

One other thing you can do to keep feet warm is put a plastic bag (like bread bag) around their feet, outside of their socks, before putting on their cleats.  Keeps the feet dry.  Also, change socks at half time.  Hot or warm water in the water jug or even hot chocolate if it's allowed on the sidelines to warm them up from the inside, the sugar rush might not be a bad thing either.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

They just postponed our championship game scheduled for tomorrow b/c the temps were scheduled to be in the 20's with snow.  Of course we spent all week outfitting the boys and getting them ready to play in those conditions so we could work it to our advantage.

One other thing you can do to keep feet warm is put a plastic bag (like bread bag) around their feet, outside of their socks, before putting on their cleats.  Keeps the feet dry.  Also, change socks at half time.  Hot or warm water in the water jug or even hot chocolate if it's allowed on the sidelines to warm them up from the inside, the sugar rush might not be a bad thing either.

D

When I go that notification my first thought was....I wonder how many teams just forked out some cash to practice indoors this week being that is was way to dangerous to practice outdoors all week.

Were you ready or is this delay going to help you?

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
akpoole
(@akpoole)
Bronze
Topic starter  

🙂 Y'all are tooo funny. But thanks for the ideas.

God created five seasons:  Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall, and last but definitely not least . . . FOOTBALL!!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: