Notifications
Clear all

COVID-19 Impact

Page 1 / 2

C-Rob
(@tso1696)
Gold
Topic starter  

What changes if any is your league making for COVID-19?

On-line Youth Football Coaching Clinicshttp://www.coaches-clinic.com/

IMMIRU
(@immiru)
Copper

With social distancing I am contemplating implementing a spread offense just so we can practice.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Social distancing is the perfect excuse to go with mega splits.

Seriously, though.  I don't think we've heard anything from our league, but our org is pressing forward with a "normal" start.

July - conditioning -  a new thing for our org/league. Normally, we have 4 "no pads" practices that are supposed to be used for conditioning.

August 4 - 1st practice.

August 22 - Weigh ins

August 28/29 - first games

Personally, I won't be a part of it. I told Mahonz that unless something changes drastically (vaccine/treatment/virus goes away), I'm out. We disagree about the seriousness and response to the pandemic. I'm not changing his mind and he's not changing mine.  It is what it is.

The state of CO has announced that outdoor recreation is now okay, where it was prohibited until recently. They issued a mix of "guidelines" and  "rules".  For example, you can have an organized sports activities, but the rule is you can't have more than 25 participants. They also "ask" that you "Consider participating in low or no-contact sports (like baseball, cross country, or cycling) instead of high-contact sports (like wrestling or soccer)."

Then, there's this:

https://www.denverpost.com/2020/06/04/chsaa-task-force-categorizes-football-higher-risk-fall-kickoff-in-question/

It's looking doubtful for HS football this Fall, but apparently youth football is okay.  

Then, there's weigh-ins.  Imagine 70 teams worth of kids and coaches and about 50 league volunteers crammed into a Dick's sporting goods.

It's just my opinion that playing football and curbing the spread of this virus can't happen at the same time. I'm not one of the "fuggit" crowd. I have made it a priority not to be part of spreading the virus, whether that's getting it or giving it. I'm not interested in having anyone change my mind about it, either. That horse has been beaten to death. Does that make me a coward, a pussy or a sheep? I really don't care how you label it. 

This post was modified 1 year ago by gumby_in_co

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

@gumby_in_co

Lar....JYFA will follow CHSSA's lead. It they play we play....if they dont we dont. 

Currently its business as usual until its not. Jeffco and APEX are opening up fields on 6/22. 

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Coyote
(@coyote)
Bronze

Unless something changes, IndianaHSAA is opening up sports July 1st.   

Our combine is normally the last week of June, but this yr pushed back to July 6th - 8th, in order to see how things are going.

There'll be a coaches / board meeting June 27th, if there's going to be any special rules or such, we'll be informed then.   Mostly seems to be a 'wait-and-see, be flexible and adapt' attitude.   We may have a shortened season, but looks like we will have one.

Tho the league is not limited to our county, we only have ~27K folk in the whole county, we're rural, farming / coal mining for the most part .  Cases of Covid have been practically nil, no one I know personally has gotten sick.  The league is looking at contingencies if the number of kids is seriously down due to covid concerns, there's talk of possibly combining teams if that happens.

The 2 other leagues we have 'cross-over challenge' with are in much (very much) larger cities and may have a truncated season, if they have one.  So in addition to our league schedule being shortened,  we may lose 2 other games from the schedule.   

My guess, at minimum, we'll have a 6 game reg season, and 4 team play-off. 

This post was modified 1 year ago by Coyote

Umm.... why does that 6 ft tall 9 yr old have a goatee...?

ReplyQuote
C-Rob
(@tso1696)
Gold
Topic starter  

@immiru I knew someone was going to mention they were implementing the Spread due to COVID-19.  Hahahaha!

On-line Youth Football Coaching Clinicshttp://www.coaches-clinic.com/

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Posted by: @coyote

Cases of Covid have been practically nil, no one I know personally has gotten sick. 

Averaging around 200 new cases per day in CO, state wide. Our county is at the low end of the case rate with about 400 cases per 100,000 people. We'll see if that changes in a few weeks based on the protests. 

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Posted by: @mahonz

@gumby_in_co

Lar....JYFA will follow CHSSA's lead. It they play we play....if they dont we dont. 

Currently its business as usual until its not. Jeffco and APEX are opening up fields on 6/22. 

I just got the email today from our org. They are having the monthly meeting in person.  40+ people crammed into a converted trailer?  Hard pass. Not that I go to those meetings anyway.

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

PIAA (commission of high school sports in PA) are working out a plan to start later than Aug 1 and have an abbreviated season with no state playoffs. This is not confirmed, however sources in the know have told referee's to expect an abbreviated season.

Youth ball will follow suit with this decision aswell.

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze

In Georgia, the GHSA sent out the schedules a few weeks ago. As of this moment, it looks like they're going to play a full schedule. Players were allowed to start working out yesterday with some social distancing guidelines attached (e.g. so many players and only two coaches in the room).

As of this moment, I'm optimistic there will be youth football this fall. If not, I'm going to email the organization and tell them that they're all scared because I learned the Double Wing (just kidding).

Fight 'em until Hell freezes over, then fight 'em on the ice -- Dutch Meyer

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @gumby_in_co
Posted by: @mahonz

@gumby_in_co

I just got the email today from our org. They are having the monthly meeting in person.  40+ people crammed into a converted trailer?  Hard pass. Not that I go to those meetings anyway.

You can zoom if you want. 

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
Seth54
(@seth54)
Bronze

@bucksweep58

Do you have any guess when PA HS are going to play their first game? I coach youth in SEPA and we usually start 2 weeks after Labor Day. I'm just guessing whatever the PIAA decides to delay, that my league will follow suit.

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

We still don’t know yet at the youth or HS level this year. It is Phase 2 of our state opening and youth sports can start with very limited interaction. I expect that we won’t know for another 2-3 weeks what we will do, but we hope some other states will be leading the way. 

I am hopeful for a season.

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

Posted by: @seth54

@bucksweep58

Do you have any guess when PA HS are going to play their first game? I coach youth in SEPA and we usually start 2 weeks after Labor Day. I'm just guessing whatever the PIAA decides to delay, that my league will follow suit.

Governor douchebag allowed outdoor youth sports to proceed as normal. It's under the discretion of the league to maintain safety and regulate. Aka "not my problem".  Piaa is scheduled to have a meeting with several ADs soon for that announcement.

Seth54 liked
ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

Just got an email regarding youth from the referee's association. As long as we are green we are starting Aug 1. Refs will need to mask and use electronic whistle, along with temperature testing before every game along with players and coaches. The spectator part is still unclear, however our pop pop warnee org is full go for at least a regular 10 game season. 

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: