Notifications
Clear all

Heads Up Tackling Article

Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/10276129/popular-nfl-backed-heads-tackling-method-questioned-former-players

The components of Heads Up -- including certifying coaches and teaching concussion awareness and proper hydration -- support the NFL's statements that "Heads Up Football makes the game safer," Miller wrote in a separate email.

Maybe.  Last summer, I saw a coach who was his program's representative to their league for Heads Up tackling reply, "No, they ain't deserve no water break" when another coach told the kids to go get water.  He passed the online test, though, so that was nice.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/10276129/popular-nfl-backed-heads-tackling-method-questioned-former-players

The components of Heads Up -- including certifying coaches and teaching concussion awareness and proper hydration -- support the NFL's statements that "Heads Up Football makes the game safer," Miller wrote in a separate email.

Maybe.  Last summer, I saw a coach who was his program's representative to their league for Heads Up tackling reply, "No, they ain't deserve no water break" when another coach told the kids to go get water.  He passed the online test, though, so that was nice.

I bet he has a pretty certifiacte to hang on his wall too!

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

Thanks for the link, Michael.  This is the 1st time I can remember hearing someone as part of such a presentation saying, "...and to the side" regarding head position, and so far that's still the only time, even in that same video report.  However, one of the children shown got his head to the side, sort of, by rotating left at the neck, which doesn't really get the head out of the way and makes the neck more vulnerable.  Also notable was one of the presenters saying the method is to lead with a shoulder; sometimes it looks like they're using the chest, other times a shoulder.

ReplyQuote
CoachRJ
(@rjohns99)
Bronze

That's my tailback getting tackled at 5:20.  I had hoped we would be shown in some background footage.

RJ

"There's no system of play that substitutes for knocking an opponent down.  When you hit, hit hard." - Pop Warner

ReplyQuote
Share: