Notifications
Clear all

Helmet Reconditioning

Page 1 / 2

Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Topic starter  

Anyone else hear that there is a new mandate from the Football Gods? States starting in 2017-18 that helmets MUST be sent to be reconditioned every other year?  If they are not, they are considered Void.  By Void, one assumes it to mean there is no more "liability" attached to the MFG.   

We have 200 helmets.

At bare basic Recon price that's 2200.00 a year.  I see that cost rising with said Mandate, if mandate is true. 

Anyone? 

End Game,  cost youth football out of existence?  (Maybe) 

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

We have had to recondition helmets every other year for a wheel or it voids the manufacturer's warranty (we have Xenith). If you are getting a reconditioning for $11 each, then you are kicking butt. It costs us 3x that.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Topic starter  

thats per 100 and if we dont encounter any replacement. costs.  base cost 22.00

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

thats per 100 and if we dont encounter any replacement. costs.  base cost 22.00

This might be a good thread to talk about this stuff. We pay $33-35 per helmet. Every 2 years.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Topic starter  

Indeed I would be curious to see what others are paying. Where they send them, and if they do a decent job. 

We spent 2K on new helmets last season (aged out or returned unusable)  in addition to the recon and other equipment needs. 

Ive asked our League in the past to consider consolidating these kinds of things to get breaks for all of us on Reconditioning!  Volume discounts are offered.  If we all pooled our stuff, we outrank High School and Some College teams as far as Total numbers go. 

Just thinking out loud.     

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

Indeed I would be curious to see what others are paying. Where they send them, and if they do a decent job. 

We spent 2K on new helmets last season (aged out or returned unusable)  in addition to the recon and other equipment needs. 

Ive asked our League in the past to consider consolidating these kinds of things to get breaks for all of us on Reconditioning!  Volume discounts are offered.  If we all pooled our stuff, we outrank High School and Some College teams as far as Total numbers go. 

Just thinking out loud.   

Exactly what I was thinking. Pooling resources to get discounts and better service makes sense.

Maybe we can share info to allow us to better negotiate

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold

We use Riddell, costs us $35 per if the helmets are painted. They would do every brand but Xenith, but this may have changed since the last time I did it.

Only ever had 2 helmets fail, one for a shell and another for a cage, they replaced the cage, and charged me for it and then it passed.

The one that failed for the shell, they offered a discount ($35) towards the price of a new helmet.

I started sending the helmets without the cages after that, they charged too much for the cage.

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

ReplyQuote
CoachBrian
(@coachbrian)
Gold

Our helmets have been getting recertified every three years........so many get done each year so that by the end of three years all are done.

ReplyQuote
jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond

We recondition the helmets that were used every year with Riddell.  Don't have to, but we do. We want to be able to say we're doing everything reasonable to assure the safety of the equipment we're providing.

I don't know what it costs.

ReplyQuote
mpwcoachsmith
(@mpwcoachsmith)
Bronze

We do our every 2 years.  We have schutt helmets and have schutt handle the reconditioning.  I believe the cost is almost $40/helmet which includes shipping and also replacing 2 decals on the helmet.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond
Topic starter  

It is my understanding the the Bi-Annual requirement is for ALL helmets, even if not used during a season.  If the Helmet does not have a Recert Sticker every 2 years, the Governing Body considers them Void for use.  Folks this is all about Liability.

I will have to re-read the entire statement. 

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

It is my understanding the the Bi-Annual requirement is for ALL helmets, even if not used during a season.  If the Helmet does not have a Recert Sticker every 2 years, the Governing Body considers them Void for use.  Folks this is all about Liability.

I will have to re-read the entire statement.

That is typically what the manufacturer's warranty indicates as well.  Every 2 years whether they were used or not. 

Now, the company that reconditions the helmet might charge you far less for a helmet that was not used, but needs to be recertified.  That has been the case with several of the companies that we have used. 

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

I used Helmet Reconditioning Services outside of Charlotte NC a few years ago. Loved it, All the high schools in my area sent their helmets there, I think it was around $20 or so, I think that was with the facemasks removed. Beautiful Custom Metallic Paint job. They were a few dollars per helmet cheaper than Riddell, faster turn around too.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

I used Helmet Reconditioning Services outside of Charlotte NC a few years ago.

How did you get the helmets to them and did you have to remove the masks yourself?

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Tim McDaniel
(@big-mac)
Bronze

They offered to pick them up with the local high school's helmets, but I drove them up myself, I was short on time. They shipped them back UPS. I believe Shipping them back was included in the base price.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: