Notifications
Clear all

Painting Helmets  

Rodnreek
(@rodnreek)
Copper
Topic starter  

My organization just recieved around 40 free helmets but the catch is they need to be painted to reflect the team colors(from red to maroon). I've heard that trying to paint helmets may be a bad idea, is this true?

Never stop learning!!!

Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

Years ago (late 60's) we painted helmets to match various team colors.  Years ago we painted them about every other week to maintain the appearance. Years ago we discovered that, if the other team used cheap paint, our helmets had more of their color on them then theirs did.

Notre Dame still paints their helmets every week. Can you paint them yes, but check with the manufacturer first.  They might actually take the new helmets in trade for the color you want or, at the least, recommend a process for the best finish. 

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

agreed, especially if they are newer helmets you really cant paint over them ,they will chip and look rediculous, i think shads idea for the trade in would probably work, if not they could probably give you a price that would be cost effective since you do have 40 of them

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
cyflcoach
(@cyflcoach)
Bronze

Must be painted using "authorized" paints or else you run the risk of voiding the manufacturer's warranty and any subsequent liability.  Have a reconditioner paint them for you... it's worth it in more ways than one.

Dave Hartman
CYFL Coach

"It's not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters." Paul "Bear" Bryant

ReplyQuote
catback
(@catback)
Copper

Send them to a reconditoner have them recertified and painted. Otherwise you wont be happy.

ReplyQuote
CoachCalande
(@www-coachcalande-com)
Diamond

Maybe you need to sand them to rough them up so the paint sticks better?

MOJO    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtcRmKnRcsAGo to WWW.COACHCALANDE.COM  for Double Wing DVDs, Playbook, Drills Manuals, Practice footage and emagazines. Ask me about our new 38 special dvds!

ReplyQuote
Share: