Notifications
Clear all

PW Playing the Safety Card...backwards

Page 1 / 3

mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Me thinks its healthier for all kids if the fat ones get to play.  ::) Seems they really need to be the ones playing.

Its a big mans sports...sorry but I just don't get it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/21/boy-football-too-fat_n_3790408.html?1377101286&ncid=webmail7

What is beautiful, lives forever.

Wing-n-It
(@robert)
Platinum Moderator

35 pounds as a minimum weight is insane

What parent is going to put in their 35 pound kid in football

It seems as if they raise the minimum then the maximum could be raised

my just turned 2 year old grandson is 28 pounds

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

35 pounds as a minimum weight is insane

What parent is going to put in their 35 pound kid in football

It seems as if they raise the minimum then the maximum could be raised

my just turned 2 year old grandson is 28 pounds

R

Good point....Im not sure I have ever seen a 35 pound tackle football player.

ReplyQuote
Prodigy
(@prodigy)
Platinum

The more kids playing football the better, whether it's for Pop Warner, AYF or another organization.

With that said, it's my personal opinion that PWLS guidelines are just plain dumb.  We received a call from a PWLS program who wanted some of our 7th graders because they only had 18 on the team.  We were short on 7th graders and didn't have enough to make up a team.  Any kids that could make weight with PWLS we sent to PWLS...but we've got a handful of kids who can't even play a game this season because there's not enough players.  What would have been nice is if the PWLS program sent THEIR 7th graders to us and then ALL of the kids could have played, instead of just the kids who fell into the "standard"...breaks my heart. 

Anyhow, I could be wrong here but does ANY OTHER SPORT, be it lacrosse or hockey or rugby...do any of them care about weight?  I don't think they do.  If you ever play high school ball or college ball, there are no weight limits.  It's a pretty ugly twist of the game when you really think of it.  I've got a 6th grader on my team who never played ball before because AYF wasn't available in this area.  He's a natural and I call him "THE TANK".

If you show up for a fair fight, you are unprepared.

ReplyQuote
CoachBrian
(@coachbrian)
Gold

I've never coached 5 and 6 year old's, but I've had 7 year old kids on my team that only weighed 45 pounds.  It wasn't pretty when going up against kids that weighed around 80-90 pounds.  But that's football.  Let the bigger kid play.  If nothing else designate him to the OL or DL and don't let him play on special teams if you are worried he's going to flatten someone when running at full speed.  However, in my experience the kids that are more likely to flatten someone are not overweight.  They're the exceptional athletes that are work the hardest in practice and have that aggression and toughness about them.  Doesn't matter how much they weigh.

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

I've never coached 5 and 6 year old's, but I've had 7 year old kids on my team that only weighed 45 pounds.  It wasn't pretty when going up against kids that weighed around 80-90 pounds.  But that's football.  Let the bigger kid play.  If nothing else designate him to the OL or DL and don't let him play on special teams if you are worried he's going to flatten someone when running at full speed.  However, in my experience the kids that are more likely to flatten someone are not overweight.  They're the exceptional athletes that are work the hardest in practice and have that aggression and toughness about them.  Doesn't matter how much they weigh.

Exactly. I am not worried at all about Fat Timmy, I am more worried about Fast Johnny.

ReplyQuote
Yankee Charlie
(@gacoachycarr)
Gold

R

Good point....Im not sure I have ever seen a 35 pound tackle football player.

I have. We had 2 kids playing 8u this year at 40-42 lbs.

"A boy comes to me with a spark of interest and it becomes a flame. I feed the flame and it becomes fire, I feed the fire and it becomes a roaring blaze" - Cus D'Amato, 1908-1985

ReplyQuote
Michael
(@michael)
Kryptonite

I guess they aren't kidding when they say Little Scholars.

Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

If there exists an Older Lighter Rule....isn't there a Younger Heavier Rule?

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

I have. We had 2 kids playing 8u this year at 40-42 lbs.

Y

How heavy are your heavies?

ReplyQuote
Yankee Charlie
(@gacoachycarr)
Gold

Biggest 8 year old in our park is 145.

"A boy comes to me with a spark of interest and it becomes a flame. I feed the flame and it becomes fire, I feed the fire and it becomes a roaring blaze" - Cus D'Amato, 1908-1985

ReplyQuote
RoyalFlush18
(@royalflush18)
Bronze

If there exists an Older Lighter Rule....isn't there a Younger Heavier Rule?

Not for 7 and Under. They are locked out. Minimum weight for JPW (8-10, 11 older lighter) is 60.

I have a 73.7 pound 5 year old this year, he will likely be locked out this next year as the max weight is 75 as a 6 year old. It is a bad thing, he is a kid truly excited about football, asks his Mom and Dad first thing every morning is it a Football Day. There are no other Tackle options until he is in 3rd Grade.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite
Topic starter  

Biggest 8 year old in our park is 145.

And there you have it....kids will sign up regardless.

ReplyQuote
Yankee Charlie
(@gacoachycarr)
Gold

And there you have it....kids will sign up regardless.

Yup.

1 of our extra littles is a girl too!

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

So funny that they write that it's not the first time a child has been excluded from football by weight, and then give one example--as if that were a rare occurrence!

Just as there's lightweight and unlimited football in college, there needs to be at younger ages.  However, there may not be enough demand everywhere for unlimited weight teams, and there may not be demand everywhere for lightweight teams.

Robert Brown played with us in 2011 & 2012.  He's a big kid--not fat at all--so because of weight limits he had to play up against older kids.  This year he's too big for our oldest/heaviest division unless he loses 10 lbs., which may not even be a smart thing to do if you're not fat to begin with.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: