Notifications
Clear all

Rant Warning: Leading with the Head

gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
Topic starter  

Watched game film last night and went away angry for a couple of reasons. First, we really sucked in that part of the game where we don't have the ball. I can't bring my self to call it "defense" because that would be doing a disservice to all of the historically bad defenses.  To set the table, the game was schedule for 1pm. I arrived at 11:35 to learn they are "way behind". At 11:52 (which should have been close to half time for the previous game), the white hat had both teams meet at midfield for a gear check/safety brief. I could go either way on those, I mean, who is against safety, right? Except that this was the only time in 15 seasons that I've had a ref do this and the game was already 52 minutes late.

We take the field at 2:25 for a 1pm start. Ref pulls everyone to the middle and does his equipment check. A big part of his speech was about "seeing what you hit" and keeping your head up, never using your helmet to hit, yada yada yada.

At some point in the game, one of their ballers at DE is knocking my TE into the backfield, which is very surprising. On the next play I take a closer look and the DE is leading with his head and cracking my TE in the facemask. Knowing better than to yell at a ref, I yell out to my player to play long with his hands to keep this kid from headbutting you. White hat was maybe 10 feet away from me when I yelled that.

Watching the game film, this kid was launching himself head first in to someone on nearly every play both on offense and on defense.  I created a playlist on Hudl and downloaded the 30 worst clips.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

DREagle
(@coyouthcoach)
Silver

It's still being coached.  Our week 2 opponent was obviously taught to lead with their helmets and speared a couple of my guys in the back of the head after the play.

This one was called just because it was so loud.  I sent in several screen shots of stuff like this.  Response: Crickets.

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
Topic starter  

Response: Crickets.

Precisely why I’m ranting. With 2nd graders, I doubt the coaches are coaching it and may not even be aware of it. Some of my guys have a WWE match at the end of every play.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
Share: