Notifications
Clear all

Reversible jerseys and names on back

Page 1 / 2

patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum
Topic starter  

Our Riddell rep is pushing sublimated reversible jerseys with kids names on the back. I am against it because of extra cost, lack of need for home/away colors (not needed until regionals), names goes against team concept, the jersey is only good for one kid and one size, and I could have a last minute sign up on the sideline with no name while the rest of the team has names.

How do I convince people pushing to have their kid play his last season with a name on his jersey on our dime?

Triton
(@triton)
Lurker

We just updated to these jerseys. We do have a need for home and away. Our kids always got to keep their home jerseys. So our away jerseys were getting pretty worn out. Anyways after looking at cost to replace our away jerseys we went with these. Names on the back doesn't fit with us either. We opted to put our mascot name (Falcons) where player names would go. This gives me the flexibility to ad players late or shuffle number and sizes. The lead in time was long enough for us that we had to order a month ago to get in time for our season. I do like how we have more freedom and fun with the design. Our kids like them. They also have a college cut to them so curious how that will go over. Happy to report back.

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum
Topic starter  

I think that we dodged a bullet. I convinced those pushing for the names on the back that it was counter to what we want to teach and instill in our kids (team first) and that having jerseys that only go with one person make no sense fiscally.  If a parent wants to buy their kid a separate jersey just like that one with their name on it and frame it when they are done playing, feel free.

We fitted several of the kids last night so I got to look at them a little better.  Pretty nice quality and I think that they should hold up pretty well.  There is some stretch in the material that allows for us to go a little tighter to reduce the likelihood of being yanked down by the jersey.  We had some jerseys a few years ago that weren't really tapered and we had ball carriers getting pulled down left and right.  Those shirts went into the trash. 🙂

ReplyQuote
jrk5150
(@jrk5150)
Diamond

We were talking about those reversible jerseys, and were worried about wear (each one goes 8+ games vs. 4+ games per year) and whether the white side would get marked up from the shoulder pads when it was reversed with the color side out.

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum
Topic starter  

We were talking about those reversible jerseys, and were worried about wear (each one goes 8+ games vs. 4+ games per year) and whether the white side would get marked up from the shoulder pads when it was reversed with the color side out.

I will let you know. We only had one jersey before and we got more than 5 years out of them. I figure 5 years is the max to try for. They seem pretty sturdy.

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond

I think that we dodged a bullet. I convinced those pushing for the names on the back that it was counter to what we want to teach and instill in our kids (team first) and that having jerseys that only go with one person make no sense fiscally.  If a parent wants to buy their kid a separate jersey just like that one with their name on it and frame it when they are done playing, feel free.

We fitted several of the kids last night so I got to look at them a little better.  Pretty nice quality and I think that they should hold up pretty well.  There is some stretch in the material that allows for us to go a little tighter to reduce the likelihood of being yanked down by the jersey.  We had some jerseys a few years ago that weren't really tapered and we had ball carriers getting pulled down left and right.  Those shirts went into the trash. 🙂

We do modern very nice jerseys for our kids
Those jerseys usually have a shelf life of 3 years
We give out free jerseys to new recruits who show up at our open house and sign up early-that's how we get rid of our old jerseys

For the kids aging out we do very nice unique jerseys with their names on back for their last season
They get to keep them as a reward for playing all the way through
We also "retire"  our helmets after 5-6 years so those kids get a helmet keepsake as well

Im not a fan of names on back- but for the last year- Im ok with it

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum
Topic starter  

We do modern very nice jerseys for our kids
Those jerseys usually have a shelf life of 3 years
We give out free jerseys to new recruits who show up at our open house and sign up early-that's how we get rid of our old jerseys

For the kids aging out we do very nice unique jerseys with their names on back for their last season
They get to keep them as a reward for playing all the way through
We also "retire"  our helmets after 5-6 years so those kids get a helmet keepsake as well

Im not a fan of names on back- but for the last year- Im ok with it

The sublimated ones don't lend themselves to adding a name to it later on, though.

If you give the kids the jersey in their last year (we do sometimes as well), do you find that you have a need for the big jerseys though as it is usually bigger kids aging out?

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond

You can add a name to any jersey later, sublimated or not

As to sizes, it doesnt matter the price differences are very minor

We order all of ours very early sublimated with some blanks in various sizes
Which we add names to locally
Simple stuff

The kids view it as a big reward for playing for us for 4-6 years
We handed ours out in April when the kids were still in school
Lots of free advertising
Looks like we added 4  new 8th grade kids who have never played for us before- thanks partly to that
It got the conversation started getting us some much needed size- ZERO stripers on a team that lost in the finals by a late 4th quarter score

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum
Topic starter  

You can add a name to any jersey later, sublimated or not

As to sizes, it doesnt matter the price differences are very minor

We order all of ours very early sublimated with some blanks in various sizes
Which we add names to locally
Simple stuff

The kids view it as a big reward for playing for us for 4-6 years
We handed ours out in April when the kids were still in school
Lots of free advertising
Looks like we added 4  new 8th grade kids who have never played for us before- thanks partly to that
It got the conversation started getting us some much needed size- ZERO stripers on a team that lost in the finals by a late 4th quarter score

I could see our kids adding their names later on if we leave a spot for them to do so.  A kid who plays 4-6 years definitely deserves something special and we look to celebrate it.  I think our numbers of kids are different though, as we have about 40 kids playing tackle now across all ages. 🙂

As a point of reference, our 8th graders from last year received some special sweatshirts that they wear all the time.  Parents bought their jerseys if they wanted and none of them had their name on the back (before or after) because those kids (who won championships) knew that it was the name on the front and not the back that mattered.  Glad to say that one of those was my kid.  😀

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond

I could see our kids adding their names later on if we leave a spot for them to do so.  A kid who plays 4-6 years definitely deserves something special and we look to celebrate it.  I think our numbers of kids are different though, as we have about 40 kids playing tackle now across all ages. 🙂

As a point of reference, our 8th graders from last year received some special sweatshirts that they wear all the time.  Parents bought their jerseys if they wanted and none of them had their name on the back (before or after) because those kids (who won championships) knew that it was the name on the front and not the back that mattered.  Glad to say that one of those was my kid.  😀

Good deal

If you have just 40 kids playing tackle at all ages- then you should be open to ideas from others to help get your numbers up to respectable levels

If I only had 40 kids I would be making some changes to get numbers up

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum
Topic starter  

Good deal

If you have just 40 kids playing tackle at all ages- then you should be open to ideas from others to help get your numbers up to respectable levels

If I only had 40 kids I would be making some changes to get numbers up

I am very open to getting the numbers up and we are actually making good progress with the younger age groups through a variety of things suggested here (flag for young kids, recruiting in other towns, teaching our coaches, etc.).  However, we have a much smaller pool of kids to pull from, so we do deal with a numbers game.  We are also bound by some national/regional rules that prevent a free-for-all recruiting. 

Your info is very helpful, so don't think that I am discounting it. We have an opportunity to improve, which is why I am here. I am trying to mesh it into the reality that football in the Northeast (youth, high school, college) is just not a big part of what we do. 

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond

If I only had 40 kids I would be looking top to bottom to change everything

Where I live there are programs that are suffering numbers wise while others arent
Same type of people- very similar issues for most if not all

The differences are how people approach the equation

If my numbers were terrible and I could create a buzz in the community and get kids to stick it out to the 8th grade with something as simple as cool unis with the name on the back for their last year- I would be all over it

What most successful people do is to not get too caught up in the boundaries that other people seem to think exist for all
They think big and dont continue down paths that consistently fail
Ive started and ran 2 programs in really awful football areas where people said no one would sign up and if they do- youll never ever win there. I built both into large programs (largest program in Omaha at the time and now largest program in Lincoln area- tiny rural bedroom community deal) that were the dominant programs in the state- it can be done. That is your numbers can increase by much more than you think is possible. It takes a lot of work and you have to think way outside the box.

Best of luck

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum
Topic starter  

Dave - we are already in this process of getting our numbers back up and it has taken quite a bit of work already with more to be done.  We are now getting kids to come back to the sport at the younger ages when there was about a 3-4 year lull for a variety of reasons that I am sure you are familiar with (demographics, concussion concerns, lack of quality coaching, etc.). 

Having 40 kids for us is actually an increase from last year (sort of).  We had 3 teams total (6th, 7th, 8th).  The 8th graders (State Champs) moved up to high school.  Our high school got a waiver to allow next year's 8th graders to play freshmen football, which takes away another team.  So, we could have had just one team for this year.  Instead, we were able to pull together a 4th/5th grade team and even had a possibility of a 2nd/3rd grade team because of the success of putting in a flag program for K-3 last year. 

My (selfish) goal is to get the younger parents involved in the program and give them the framework to keep it going because I have done my part and I am ready to move on to the next chapter of my life.  The only reason that I am here this year is because we started to rebuild and it was not stable enough for me to step away.  I am hopeful that it will be in good shape for the next group of volunteers to take over. 

I do think that you need to understand that there are different cultural issues at play here in New England.  Football (despite the success of the Patriots) is not a big sport here at any level (youth, high school, college).  Parents here are not into the sport like they are in other parts of the country.  I can have a great program with great coaches getting much success and parents are not going to drive their kid 45 minutes each way to go to a practice.  That is not an excuse, it is just reality. 

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond

Dave - we are already in this process of getting our numbers back up and it has taken quite a bit of work already with more to be done.  We are now getting kids to come back to the sport at the younger ages when there was about a 3-4 year lull for a variety of reasons that I am sure you are familiar with (demographics, concussion concerns, lack of quality coaching, etc.). 

Having 40 kids for us is actually an increase from last year (sort of).  We had 3 teams total (6th, 7th, 8th).  The 8th graders (State Champs) moved up to high school.  Our high school got a waiver to allow next year's 8th graders to play freshmen football, which takes away another team.  So, we could have had just one team for this year.  Instead, we were able to pull together a 4th/5th grade team and even had a possibility of a 2nd/3rd grade team because of the success of putting in a flag program for K-3 last year. 

My (selfish) goal is to get the younger parents involved in the program and give them the framework to keep it going because I have done my part and I am ready to move on to the next chapter of my life.  The only reason that I am here this year is because we started to rebuild and it was not stable enough for me to step away.  I am hopeful that it will be in good shape for the next group of volunteers to take over. 

I do think that you need to understand that there are different cultural issues at play here in New England.  Football (despite the success of the Patriots) is not a big sport here at any level (youth, high school, college).  Parents here are not into the sport like they are in other parts of the country.  I can have a great program with great coaches getting much success and parents are not going to drive their kid 45 minutes each way to go to a practice.  That is not an excuse, it is just reality.

I get it
Ive done DOZENS of clinics there from Upstate NY, New Hampshire, Mass, RI, CT etc
I get it- but there are also many successful programs up there as well that have figured out how to get their numbers and quality up
Making it fun and more than football is a start- getting some positive buzz and incentives with cool uniforms they can keep with names on the back- is one tiny piece of the puzzle
But doing the same stuff and expecting different results- isnt the way to go

ReplyQuote
CD Rams Coach M
(@cd-rams-coach-m)
Bronze

Our Riddell rep is pushing sublimated reversible jerseys with kids names on the back. I am against it because of extra cost, lack of need for home/away colors (not needed until regionals), names goes against team concept, the jersey is only good for one kid and one size, and I could have a last minute sign up on the sideline with no name while the rest of the team has names.

How do I convince people pushing to have their kid play his last season with a name on his jersey on our dime?

Coach... we have the 8th Grade team buy their own jerseys. If they want their names on them. they design and pay for them.

There is a place in Northboro that  does reversible jersey's with a good turn around...just not sure about the names. ryan S. from Shewsbury had samples at a recent meeting I was at.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: