Notifications

Sweet, sweet vindication  

RSS

gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum
December 20, 2019 6:50 pm  

Boulder, CO is the absolute LAST place for an article like this, but here it is.  This has been my experience since I first started keeping track of concussions. This last season, we had 5 kids miss time for head injury concerns. 2 were football related. Another was a false positive. My nephew faked a head injury because he knew he'd be taken out of the game, no questions asked.

Anyway . . . for your consideration and enjoyment:

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/12/20/cu-boulder-study-concussions-football/

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite
North Carolina
High School
December 21, 2019 3:33 am  

The link says: "You've reached your article limit."  Had no idea that I'd taken to reading the Denver Post.  Anyhoos, for those of us banned from reading without paying, can you summarize the article for us?

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
December 21, 2019 9:48 am  

The link says: "You've reached your article limit."  Had no idea that I'd taken to reading the Denver Post.  Anyhoos, for those of us banned from reading without paying, can you summarize the article for us?

It says most concussions among students at CU Boulder are not sports-related.  Averaged over 2016-18, 1 student per year out of 75 got a concussion.  A lot of repeat customers among these, in that 41% of those who reported a concussion said they'd previously (in their lives) had at least 1, and 5% at least 4.  36% of concussions while at the school were from organized competitive sports if varsity athletes were excluded from the sample, but that rose to only 39% if they were included!  Female varsity athletes proportionally got more concussions than male varsity athletes.

Oh, heck, here's a link to the actual study -- why didn't I see that first?  Be glad you didn't go to the Denver Post site, it's a terrible bandwidth eater, taking me forever to post here while it's autoloading crap in that browser tab.

Anyway, before I look at the actual study, the Post report's significa to us are that even college varsity sports shifts only 3% of concussion causes to sports, some people are extra prone to concussions from all causes, and since I'm sure CU doesn't have a women's varsity football team, and since varsity football tends to have bloated rosters in college, football seems to make out very well.

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond
New Jersey
3rd - 5th
Asst Coach
December 21, 2019 10:06 am  

Wow, look at the figure in the article (study) for a real puzzler.  The incidence over the academic year falls very much from a peak at the beginning of the academic year in August to a low point in December, and then rises again, practically in lock step from all the classes of causes: falls, hits, sports, and "other"!

Does it relate to daylight?  More daytime activities causing concussions, maybe.  Or something about the academic year itself?  The article starts out by saying the incidence among their undergraduates was significantly greater than for concussions in the general population, as if something about being a university undergrad -- or, which they don't say, an undergrad at their particular university (!) -- or being that age, is a risk factor for concussions.  I'll have to look at their discussion.

Better bookmark or download the study, because we're still going to lose these posts in the Great DumCoach Migration to come, right?

Thinking about things likely to contribute to concussions, first thing I think of is booze.  But isn't December peak month for boozing?  Then I think Boulder, Colorado, and I think skiing, but again the calendar graph they show runs contrary to skiing season.

ReplyQuote
sabot6d
(@sabot6d)
Bronze
December 23, 2019 3:09 am  

The Denver Post

NEWSCOLORADO NEWS
CU Boulder study finds most student concussions occur off playing field

Boulder Daily Camera lcy sidewalks are among the things that are more likely to cause concussions to students than activities on the athletic playing field, according to a new study out of the University of Colorado Boulder.
By KATIE LANGFORD | klangford@prairiemountainmedia.com | Boulder Daily CameraPUBLISHED: December 20, 2019 at 8:04 pm | UPDATED: December 20, 2019 at 9:27 pm
Icy sidewalks, rogue bedroom rugs and slippery bathtubs are far more likely to cause concussions than getting tackled on the football field, according to a new University of Colorado Boulder study.

The study tracked student concussions diagnosed at the campus health center and sports medicine department from 2016-2018, finding that approximately 340 undergraduate students were diagnosed with concussions per year, a rate of one in 75 students.

Of those diagnosed, 41% said they had been diagnosed with a concussion before and 5% reported they had been diagnosed with four or more concussions.

Including varsity athletes in the data did not significantly impact the percentage of sports-related concussions, and students were still more likely to get a concussion from a fall, accident or fight than organized sports.

TOP ARTICLES
1/5
Ask Amy: Celebrate the season
with the gift of literacy

Not including varsity athletes, 64% of student concussions were from falls, accidents or fights and 36% were caused by organized competitive sports. When varsity athletes were included in the data, 61% of concussions were caused by falls, accidents or fights and 39% were related to sports.

The research counters the idea that most head injuries happen on the playing field, said Dr. John Breck, study coauthor and lead physician for CU Boulder Medical Services.

“A majority of these injuries are run-of-the-mill things that you don’t think of as causing concussions — slips in the bathroom, falling down the stairs, tripping on a rug,” Breck said. “The main thing I want people to know is that you don’t have to be on an athletic field to have a concussion.”

The study also found that concussions were more common in August, at the beginning of the school year — when the new year jitters are high and academic responsibilities are at a minimum.

Female varsity athletes had more concussions than males, which Breck theorized could be because of weaker neck muscles or because men tend to underreport injuries.

Get the latest alerts
From The Denver Post sent directly to your inbox.

Breaking News alerts
Enter your email to subscribe

Get more newsletters and alerts.

“The long and short of it is that we really don’t know,” he said.

Study coauthor and Associate Professor Matt McQueen said he hopes the data raises awareness of concussions in young adults.

“I don’t think we’ve scratched the surface on academic repercussions for concussions yet, especially for students in high academic pressure environment,” McQueen said. “This data won’t be a surprise to anyone who is treating undergrad students across the country, but I hope it sheds some light that when we’re talking about caring for undergrads at a university, concussion care is part of that.”

Recommendations for healing from concussions has changed in the last decade, Breck said, and research now indicates that sticking students in a dark room for a few days is not the best treatment. Instead, treatment should focus on a “graded, protected return to activity.”

“Getting the patient to a concussion expert as soon as possible is really the key,” Breck said.

The study was published Wednesday in a journal associated with the American Medical Association.

ReplyQuote
Mosley the Cat
(@mosleythecat)
Silver Admin
Maryland
December 23, 2019 5:05 am  

Better bookmark or download the study, because we're still going to lose these posts in the Great DumCoach Migration to come, right?

I am now planning on grabbing everything since my last grab since there has been good activity in the past few weeks. This will require a minor shutdown over the holidays, but you should be spending time with your families anyway.  🙂

Don't cross my path.

ReplyQuote
Share: