Notifications
Clear all

Tackle Wheels (aka tackling rings)

Page 1 / 2

CoachAJ-SC
(@coachaj-sc)
Copper
Topic starter  

Greetings, Gentlemen. Do any of you use those tackle wheels (tackling rings) to teach tackling? If so, what are your thoughts on them?

patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

Used them for the first time this year.  Had 2 of them going in a tackling circuit.  Overall, I like them as they gave us some different options for our tackling drills so that we were hitting moving objects that were low and weren't our players. 

Overall, I would recommend them. 

ReplyQuote
CoachAJ-SC
(@coachaj-sc)
Copper
Topic starter  

Used them for the first time this year.  Had 2 of them going in a tackling circuit.  Overall, I like them as they gave us some different options for our tackling drills so that we were hitting moving objects that were low and weren't our players. 

Overall, I would recommend them.

Thanks, Coach. Which brand did you use, and what size?

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

Thanks, Coach. Which brand did you use, and what size?

We got ours from Rugby imports.  We got their large size (40" diameter, weighs about 20 lbs.).  I bought from them because I could pick them up instead of paying for shipping and they seemed very sturdy.  No complaints at all.  Used them for kids in grades 6-8 unlimited weight. 

ReplyQuote
Bob Goodman
(@bob-goodman)
Diamond

We got ours from Rugby imports.  We got their large size (40" diameter, weighs about 20 lbs.).  I bought from them because I could pick them up instead of paying for shipping

Is that Matt Godek?

ReplyQuote
CoachCalande
(@www-coachcalande-com)
Diamond

Greetings, Gentlemen. Do any of you use those tackle wheels (tackling rings) to teach tackling? If so, what are your thoughts on them?

We use them....they rip too easily

MOJO    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtcRmKnRcsA

Go to WWW.COACHCALANDE.COM  for Double Wing DVDs, Playbook, Drills Manuals, Practice footage and emagazines. Ask me about our new 38 special dvds!

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

Is that Matt Godek?

I have no idea. I went to the store in Providence RI to pick them up. I did not speak to anyone in particular.

Ours have not had any issues with ripping.

ReplyQuote
davecisar
(@davecisar)
Diamond

We have 2
Buying 2 more
No issues
Kids and coaches love em

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.Winston Churchill

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

Used them, sold them, help create the drill tape sent with them.

Its just a tool... but makes form tackling easier to coach...as tge target moves and the players can run drills them selves so coaches can critique and coach instead of picking up bags

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum

I don't really like them because it makes kids want to dive and drag their feet on a tackle instead of staying balanced and driving their feet through the hit.

Deaths while walking 4,743Deaths from football 12

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

I don't really like them because it makes kids want to dive and drag their feet on a tackle instead of staying balanced and driving their feet through the hit.

That is up to you to teach them.  If you don't want them to dive, then don't allow it.  Have them wrap up the wheel, stay on their feet and then drive it backwards.  We often do that when we have the wheel going at them directly, instead of going to the side. 

I look at these as the same as traditional dummies, except it allows for the target to be moving.  How you teach them to tackle is up to you. 

ReplyQuote
Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum

That is up to you to teach them.  If you don't want them to dive, then don't allow it.  Have them wrap up the wheel, stay on their feet and then drive it backwards.  We often do that when we have the wheel going at them directly, instead of going to the side. 

I look at these as the same as traditional dummies, except it allows for the target to be moving.  How you teach them to tackle is up to you.

Do you teach them to wrap up and drive their feet when it is going to the side?

ReplyQuote
Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum

I just had a thought... these would be great for teaching corners and OLBs to meet in the ally.

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

Do you teach them to wrap up and drive their feet when it is going to the side?

Sometimes.  If I see guys just diving and using bad technique, then I will give them different instructions.  It does happen.  I like guys flying to the ball and being aggressive, but as they get close, I would like to ensure that they are under control. 

ReplyQuote
Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum

Sometimes.  If I see guys just diving and using bad technique, then I will give them different instructions.  It does happen.  I like guys flying to the ball and being aggressive, but as they get close, I would like to ensure that they are under control.

Definitely.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: