Notifications
Clear all

Tackle Wheels (aka tackling rings)

Page 2 / 2

ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

I don't really like them because it makes kids want to dive and drag their feet on a tackle instead of staying balanced and driving their feet through the hit.

Most kids do that to any bag at first...

I can explain it to you, I can't understand if for you.

ReplyQuote
CoachCalande
(@www-coachcalande-com)
Diamond

i wanted to find some time to respond....we ripped some holes in our tires from using them hard, so often. We like them and will duct tape them up and continue with them.

One drill i liked with them was rolling them as tacklers at ball carriers were busting out of a gauntlett

MOJO    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtcRmKnRcsA

Go to WWW.COACHCALANDE.COM  for Double Wing DVDs, Playbook, Drills Manuals, Practice footage and emagazines. Ask me about our new 38 special dvds!

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

i wanted to find some time to respond....we ripped some holes in our tires from using them hard, so often. We like them and will duct tape them up and continue with them.

One drill i liked with them was rolling them as tacklers at ball carriers were busting out of a gauntlett

My alma matter did that and also rolled a gigantic 50lb med ball..it was about 3 ft in diameter...you would get the tire or the ball... shoulder/spin the tire... stiff arm the ball

ReplyQuote
CoachAJ-SC
(@coachaj-sc)
Copper
Topic starter  

For those of you who've used them, which brand did you purchase?

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

I wanna know too!

We are talking about expenditures and value to cost!  Tackle Wheel or Shadowman Dummies? 

I see flaws with both!  But Durability is the main question!

https://www.shadowmansports.com/

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
Coach Kyle
(@coach-kyle)
Platinum

I wanna know too!

We are talking about expenditures and value to cost!  Tackle Wheel or Shadowman Dummies? 

I see flaws with both!  But Durability is the main question!

https://www.shadowmansports.com/

Shadowman dummies look sweet.

Deaths while walking 4,743Deaths from football 12

ReplyQuote
Mean Machine
(@mean-machine)
Bronze

This one is just a tad pricey:

"Deeds not words."  - Ralph DeSantis

ReplyQuote
PSLCOACHROB
(@pslcoachrob)
Kryptonite

I have to ask this because I think often the use of some equipment isn't as good as one might think, have the people who used these seen improved tackling? Improved more than using dummies and more traditional tackling drills and equipment. Not sure one could actually measure that but any observations would be appreciated.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

Rob:

IMO, the advantage to these types of equipment is that you dont have to have a live person!  I try not to have any more contact than needed during practices, especially during the season. 

Looking at the Tackle Wheel, Shadow Man, or the Heavy Bag on a Trolley from Rogers. 

Do I use live contact? Yes!  However, I am always looking for a way to reduce the need for beating each other up to learn.  😉

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum

I have to ask this because I think often the use of some equipment isn't as good as one might think, have the people who used these seen improved tackling? Improved more than using dummies and more traditional tackling drills and equipment. Not sure one could actually measure that but any observations would be appreciated.

I used them early in the season before we could have live hitting and the kids had fun with them.  We went away from them for much of the season as we worked on live hitting and other areas. Once we approached playoffs and we wanted to cut back on hitting each other, we went towards tackling circuits with dummies and wheels. I do think it helped us avoid a drop off in aggressiveness and tackling form, as we had issues with that before.

I am not sure that the same could not have been accomplished with something different, but it worked for us. I also used it as a recruiting tool as people watch those drills and think it is cool.

ReplyQuote
spidermac
(@spidermac)
Gold

Okay, very subjective....

we changed our tackling circuit up a bit last season. We used dummies, wheels and bodies. The dummies were for open field "roll" type tackles. We would drag the dummy while running and have the kid chase and then roll it. We started that drill off statically, with a body and the tackler on his knees, had them fit up, squeeze the legs in and then roll, then we would move on to them chasing a dummy being dragged by a coach.

The wheels we used for angle tackling at full speed. Yes, we had some "superman" dives, but we coached that out of them. We also used them for blocking too, kick out blocks, closing the hole left by the pullers.

The dummies and the wheels I feel did improve our tackling as the season went on. There were fewer business decisions made. But like I said, very subjective.

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

ReplyQuote
ZACH
 ZACH
(@bucksweep58)
Diamond

Okay, very subjective....

we changed our tackling circuit up a bit last season. We used dummies, wheels and bodies. The dummies were for open field "roll" type tackles. We would drag the dummy while running and have the kid chase and then roll it. We started that drill off statically, with a body and the tackler on his knees, had them fit up, squeeze the legs in and then roll, then we would move on to them chasing a dummy being dragged by a coach.

The wheels we used for angle tackling at full speed. Yes, we had some "superman" dives, but we coached that out of them. We also used them for blocking too, kick out blocks, closing the hole left by the pullers.

The dummies and the wheels I feel did improve our tackling as the season went on. There were fewer business decisions made. But like I said, very subjective.

We used them as a tool and used them less and less the more we went into the season.  I am of the mindset you hit people in games so hit people in practice.  On lighter contact days you can get a lot done with these tools.

We didnt tackle any better or worse with the tackle tubes from Rhino. But our practices n tackle circuits were easier with the tube.

We had 2 low tackle bags (stumps) http://usa.rhinorugby.com/low-tackle-bag

3 tackle rings, 8 shields. And a 5 man sled...since no one seems to use it but my team bc its very "barbaric" lol

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: