Notifications
Clear all

Uniforms

Page 1 / 2

CoachAJ-SC
(@coachaj-sc)
Copper
Topic starter  

Coaches, I’m considering white jerseys and white pants for our uniforms this season, but I’m concerned about complaints from parents about keeping the white clean. Have any of you had good experiences with white uniforms (white pants in particular)? Thanks for your feedback.

Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

Coaches, I’m considering white jerseys and white pants for our uniforms this season, but I’m concerned about complaints from parents about keeping the white clean. Have any of you had good experiences with white uniforms (white pants in particular)? Thanks for your feedback.

Parents care about what looks good. If the uniforms looks nice, they won't worry too much about the hard to clean part. I would recommend you do you research on the best way to clean all white uniforms so your parents can be fully informed.

ReplyQuote
sabot6d
(@sabot6d)
Bronze

We have done all white before but our games are played almost exclusively on turf fields.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

I’m concerned about complaints from parents about keeping the white clean. Have any of you had good experiences with white uniforms (white pants in particular)?

White uniforms are much more difficult to keep clean, for obvious reasons.  Whether your parents see that as an issue is something you'll have to find out.  I've never allowed parents to wash their son's uniform, but I'd suspect that parents care more that they're clean than whether there's a grass stain that won't come out.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

White uniforms are much more difficult to keep clean, for obvious reasons.  Whether your parents see that as an issue is something you'll have to find out.  I've never allowed parents to wash their son's uniform, but I'd suspect that parents care more that they're clean than whether there's a grass stain that won't come out.

--Dave

Did you wash their uniforms???

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

[but I'd suspect that parents care more that they're clean than whether there's a grass stain that won't come out.
/b]

Umm thats a big NO.  We had white uniforms when we first started and I cant tell you how much GRIEF we took over not being able to get Grass Stains out from Moms.  LOL  ???

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  🙂

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Did you wash their uniforms?

Yes.  And had them mended when they were torn.  I was (and am) very particular as to how the uniforms looked.

—Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

We had white uniforms when we first started and I cant tell you how much GRIEF we took over not being able to get Grass Stains out from Moms.

Who was washing them?

—Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

Who was washing them?

—Dave

From the number of comments we received....more than a few very "Particular" Moms!!  ??? 😉

Of Note we are now wearing Green.  8)   

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

Yes.  And had them mended when they were torn.  I was (and am) very particular as to how the uniforms looked.

—Dave

You washed their pants and jerseys?

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

You washed their pants and jerseys?

Absolutely.  If wet uniforms aren't washed right away, mold will set in.  Not only will it stain the material, it's a health hazard.  After a game, I'd bring the uniforms home and dump them straight into a hot bath of Oxy Clean and bleach.  After it had soaked, I'd use a stain-remover like Shout or Spray 'n Wash to get out any blood or grass stains.  Then they'd go to the sanitary setting on the washing machine.  We had both white and dark jerseys and pants.  Our parents never complained, but then our uniforms always looked and smelled good.  It's easier at high school because the washer and dryer are on premises, hold much more laundry and wash and dry at higher temperatures.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

Absolutely.  If wet uniforms aren't washed right away, mold will set in.  Not only will it stain the material, it's a health hazard.  After a game, I'd bring the uniforms home and dump them straight into a hot bath of Oxy Clean and bleach.  After it had soaked, I'd use a stain-remover like Shout or Spray 'n Wash to get out any blood or grass stains.  Then they'd go to the sanitary setting on the washing machine.  We had both white and dark jerseys and pants.  Our parents never complained, but then our uniforms always looked and smelled good.  It's easier at high school because the washer and dryer are on premises, hold much more laundry and wash and dry at higher temperatures.

--Dave

So you had the kids take their uniforms off right there at the game? That has to be the most DP thing ever, lol. What did the parents say when you first told them this? I know if I was a parent I would have done a double take.

ReplyQuote
Dusty Ol Fart
(@youth-coach)
Diamond

So you had the kids take their uniforms off right there at the game? That has to be the most DP thing ever, lol. What did the parents say when you first told them this? I know if I was a parent I would have done a double take.

I know some teams take a trailer to the last game of the season for the kids to take off their gear and turn it in.  That way there are no escapes.  I cant tell you how many times we are chasing folks for gear 6 months after the season ended.  So I tend to agree with, If I am going to wash them I want them right now thinking!  I have laundered many a Jersey and Pants after turn in cause some people turn them in Filthy Dirty.

🙁   

ReplyQuote
Dimson
(@dimson)
Diamond

I know some teams take a trailer to the last game of the season for the kids to take off their gear and turn it in.  That way there are no escapes.  I cant tell you how many times we are chasing folks for gear 6 months after the season ended.  So I tend to agree with, If I am going to wash them I want them right now thinking!  I have laundered many a Jersey and Pants after turn in cause some people turn them in Filthy Dirty.

🙁 

We always have a truck/trailer after the last game but the kids keep their uniforms at our org. If we kept them then I guess I could see collecting them after each game.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

The org has always had a longstanding policy that players are not allowed to take home their game jersey/game pants.  This is organization policy that all parents are informed of at the beginning of the season.  Has absolutely nothing to do with me.  I've never known a parent to have an issue with it.  Saves them the time, trouble and smell of having to deal with it themselves.  After a game, their jersey & pants can either be given to a coach, team mom or someone who's accepted the responsibility of laundering them.  Kids change into a pair of shorts while in their car.  There's also bathrooms, baseball dugouts, etc.  Heck, I've got a van if they want to change in the back of that.  Some kids would just wear shorts underneath their game pants.

--Dave

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: