SnapIt
(@trentsutton)
Copper
Idaho
3rd - 5th
Head Coach
October 12, 2019 6:23 am  

This really set me off:

I found the study they are stretching to fuel their argument - https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/ana.25611.    The study tested 266 brains.  In all the studies I’ve seen most of the brains are from former NFL players.  There is a significant risk difference in an NFL season of 20 games (16 regular, 4 preseason) versus a youth league of 6-8 games and one/tenth of the practice time.  The vast majority of kids will never play past high school.    I’m no doctor but 1 youth football season does not equal one nfl, college, or high school season in terms of CTE risk! 

"Success is the peace of mind, which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you made the effort to become the best of which you are capable." - Coach John Wooden

terrypjohnson
(@terrypjohnson)
Bronze
United States
October 12, 2019 1:38 pm  

Watched and downvoted.

ReplyQuote
Coach E
(@coache)
Gold
October 13, 2019 3:07 pm  

...and comments are turned off.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.- Marcus Aurelius

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum
October 14, 2019 6:48 am  

...and comments are turned off.

That is how they operate.  Nowinski himself will block people who disagree with him or ask him about the data used failing to meet basic statistical criteria for the claims made. 

ReplyQuote
blockandtackle
(@coacharnold)
Silver
October 14, 2019 9:54 am  

This really set me off:

I found the study they are stretching to fuel their argument - https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/ana.25611.    The study tested 266 brains.  In all the studies I’ve seen most of the brains are from former NFL players.  There is a significant risk difference in an NFL season of 20 games (16 regular, 4 preseason) versus a youth league of 6-8 games and one/tenth of the practice time.  The vast majority of kids will never play past high school.    I’m no doctor but 1 youth football season does not equal one nfl, college, or high school season in terms of CTE risk!

As I posted in another place, this is another load of BS from the Boston University CTE Center, a place that was literally founded to find CTE everywhere it looks so it can court media attention and solicit donations from groups who stand to benefit from that "research" (like the NFLPA).

Here, the PSA is put together by the "Concussion Legacy Foundation," which is, coincidentally, founded by Chris Nowinski and Dr. Robert Kantu... who both helped found and run the Boston University CTE Center.  Every time you see articles on the dangers of football, they cite these clowns.

PatriotsFatBoy1 informed me that they are also major advocates for the MA bill to ban youth tackle football.  Interestingly enough, they have a 14u Flag Football org ready to go and fill the void left by banned youth leagues (and cash in dramatically) if that happens.

They don't take kindly to questions about their research.  They just want the PR and cite numbers that the rest of the medical and scientific community, when they investigate closely, do not agree with.  They use the absolute lowest standards of posthumously diagnosing CTE that they possibly can--most of their diagnoses were "asymptomatic" in life and do not even meet the criteria for CTE according to basically every other diagnostic criteria used on earth.

ReplyQuote
patriotsfatboy1
(@patriotsfatboy1)
Platinum
October 14, 2019 11:27 am  

There is a good book out there called "Brainwashed: The Bad Science Behind CTE and the Plot to Destroy Football", written by Merril Hoge and Peter Cummings. 

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/168401865X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lots of good things to share with parents. Nowinski and BU will make sure that it all gets ignored so that they can continue to make their money. 

ReplyQuote
Share: