Notifications
Clear all

Anyone still running SDW?

Page 3 / 3

gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

@festivus15 So to answer your original question, I have not installed this, but many of the plays are exactly as we ran them. Some are a little different. I do like the naming because it's simple. As long as "cut" (one example) makes sense to the players, it's all good.

I've never run or even considered the quick series, but looking at it after 10 years, it makes total sense. 

There is a ton of experience with TKO on this forum, so I'm sure you'll have plenty of help there.

Flip/don't flip. Up to you. Kent and I decided to flip the 2nd year running DW. In the first year, we had mass confusion due to our failure to teach the responsibilities as they pertained to the naming convention. "RIP" seemed to be particularly confusing to both WBs and half the line for some reason and the line was repeatedly told to ignore anything but the last two words in the play call. So we went all in on making the DW simple and it was a thing to behold. Other guys have done just as well or better without flipping.

For someone with only 9 posts, you really came out swinging for the fences. It's been forever since I've been part of a robust DW discussion. This whole thread is a throwback.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
festivus15
(@festivus15)
Copper
Topic starter  
Posted by: @gumby_in_co

@festivus15 So to answer your original question, I have not installed this, but many of the plays are exactly as we ran them. Some are a little different. I do like the naming because it's simple. As long as "cut" (one example) makes sense to the players, it's all good.

I've never run or even considered the quick series, but looking at it after 10 years, it makes total sense. 

There is a ton of experience with TKO on this forum, so I'm sure you'll have plenty of help there.

Flip/don't flip. Up to you. Kent and I decided to flip the 2nd year running DW. In the first year, we had mass confusion due to our failure to teach the responsibilities as they pertained to the naming convention. "RIP" seemed to be particularly confusing to both WBs and half the line for some reason and the line was repeatedly told to ignore anything but the last two words in the play call. So we went all in on making the DW simple and it was a thing to behold. Other guys have done just as well or better without flipping.

For someone with only 9 posts, you really came out swinging for the fences. It's been forever since I've been part of a robust DW discussion. This whole thread is a throwback.

ha, thanks.  I’ve been a lurker for a while, and have probably read just about everything on the forum pertaining to doublewing over the past year as I’ve been trying to learn new things.  Finally got the call that I passed through the youth football political games here in town to get my own team this year, so I’ve come out of the shadows here to get ready for the season a little more directly.  

ReplyQuote
gumby_in_co
(@gumby_in_co)
Platinum

Posted by: @festivus15

Finally got the call that I passed through the youth football political games here in town to get my own team this year

And then piss it away by running the DW. 🤣 🤣 🤣 . Seriously though, I've taken more crap for the DW than anything else and I run Beast with mega splits.

When in doot . . . glass and oot.

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Hey all, new head coach for my son’s 10u team this fall.  Is anyone still running the Simple Double Wing?   I’ve got the materials for several of the youth double wing systems, and I like the simplicity of this the best.   Just looking to see if anyone had tips to installing it and getting the boys rolling quickly.

"Simple DW" is an oxymoron. 

You are getting tips from coaches that took 2 years minimum to master a difficult Offense....and every one of them have admitted this in the past. 

You need to ask yourself this....how many seasons you got before the pitchforks come out? 

Just being real and yes I have coached up this Offense before....even won a championship. Nothing wrong with this O at all....not my point. Its just a real bitch to troubleshoot and if you are rather new to coaching up a system live on grass....you will be a man on an island in a matter of weeks. 

My take. 

PS...you can find Coach Gregory Film on this Forum. Its been about 5 years so I think its still here. If that's the DW then Im Arnold Schwarzenegger 😎 

This post was modified 2 months ago 2 times by mahonz

What is beautiful, lives forever.

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @mahonz

Hey all, new head coach for my son’s 10u team this fall.  Is anyone still running the Simple Double Wing?   I’ve got the materials for several of the youth double wing systems, and I like the simplicity of this the best.   Just looking to see if anyone had tips to installing it and getting the boys rolling quickly.

--It can be difficult, but that's true of any REAL offense.  This stupid Air Raid I have to learn?  It's difficult.  But that's simply because I don't know it as well, and haven't spent more than a decade running it, as I have the Double Wing.

You are getting tips from coaches that took 2 years minimum to master a difficult Offense....and every one of them have admitted this in the past. 

--I wish it had only taken me a minimum of two years to MASTER.  (It took much longer.)  The Double Wing is highly effective even when run as basic.  But to "master?"  That takes several years.  Again, it's like any other offense, in that regard.

You need to ask yourself this....how many seasons you got before the pitchforks come out? 

--If you don't win PERIOD, the pitchforks come out quickly, regardless of what you run.  Again, the Double Wing is no different.  However, it does take some explaining to others on the front end, because most have never seen it.

ts just a real bitch to troubleshoot and if you are rather new to coaching up a system live on grass....you will be a man on an island in a matter of weeks.

--Troubleshooting any REAL offensive system is "a real bitch" if you don't know it.  Take me, for instance.  I run the Air Raid.  But I don't KNOW the Air Raid.  The Double Wing is an engine that I can assemble and take apart blindfolded.  The Air Raid?  If it breaks down, I'll have to call somebody... 

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

Posted by: @coachdp

--It can be difficult, but that's true of any REAL offense.  This stupid Air Raid I have to learn?  It's difficult.  But that's simply because I don't know it as well, and haven't spent more than a decade running it, as I have the Double Wing.

--I wish it had only taken me a minimum of two years to MASTER.  (It took much longer.)  The Double Wing is highly effective even when run as basic.  But to "master?"  That takes several years.  Again, it's like any other offense, in that regard.

--If you don't win PERIOD, the pitchforks come out quickly, regardless of what you run.  Again, the Double Wing is no different.  However, it does take some explaining to others on the front end, because most have never seen it.

ts just a real bitch to troubleshoot and if you are rather new to coaching up a system live on grass....you will be a man on an island in a matter of weeks.

--Troubleshooting any REAL offensive system is "a real bitch" if you don't know it.  Take me, for instance.  I run the Air Raid.  But I don't KNOW the Air Raid.  The Double Wing is an engine that I can assemble and take apart blindfolded.  The Air Raid?  If it breaks down, I'll have to call somebody... 

--Dave

You are in hell. The Air Raid is even more difficult than the DW. 

Cant you hire Tony Franklin now a day for like $10K to come teach it to your entire Program? Would probably require some very generous Boosters. 

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

--Agree and agree.

Cant you hire Tony Franklin now a day for like $10K to come teach it to your entire Program? Would probably require some very generous Boosters. 

--I don't think he'd do it, even for $10K.  Besides, our Varsity header just resigned, so I don't know if I'm even learning the right offense.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: "I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go."

#BattleReady newhope

ReplyQuote
Seth54
(@seth54)
Copper

Posted by: @coachdp

--Agree and agree.

--I don't think he'd do it, even for $10K.  Besides, our Varsity header just resigned, so I don't know if I'm even learning the right offense.

--Dave

https://www.coachtf.com/summer-2021

Not sure how, but I’m on some Tony Franklin email list. Looks like you can get the system for about $2600 for you and your staff. We could pass a hat around to get the fundraising started. 

ReplyQuote
CoachDP
(@coachdp)
Kryptonite

@seth54 

Oh, we’ve already got the subscription.  Heck, he’s even come to our practice.  

—Dave

#BattleReady newhope

Seth54 liked
ReplyQuote
festivus15
(@festivus15)
Copper
Topic starter  

I wasn't calling it simple, that's just what JJ had named his system.  I was originally asking to see if anyone had run it as described in his materials.  

Yeah, I'm not expecting to be an expert.  I'm just drawn to the doublewing b/c it fits how I look at football, at least at the youth level.  I'd much rather teach kids to block as a unit, then yell at them to just block someone and try to overpower the kid in front of them like I've seen too many times.  I love the 'simplicity' of practicing toss and perfecting it to run 50% of the time, and then countering off of it when/if adjustments are made.  

I'm not too worried about pitchforks, to be honest. I'm not looking for a career, just to coach my boys through youth ball in the suburbs.  We've got a league with 5-6 teams that get redrafted every year where they're always looking for volunteer coaches.  

Just being real and yes I have coached up this Offense before....even won a championship. Nothing wrong with this O at all....not my point. Its just a real bitch to troubleshoot and if you are rather new to coaching up a system live on grass....you will be a man on an island in a matter of weeks.

My take. 

thanks for the feedback and advice.  I'll give it a shot.  I like to think I'm a pretty quick learner and good teacher.  time to put that to the test, I guess. 

ReplyQuote
mahonz
(@mahonz)
Kryptonite

thanks for the feedback and advice.  I'll give it a shot.  I like to think I'm a pretty quick learner and good teacher.  time to put that to the test, I guess. 

No problem. Just wanted to throw that out there for some thought. Re Draft Leagues are tough....its all new every season. 

Good luck !

ReplyQuote
festivus15
(@festivus15)
Copper
Topic starter  

No problem. Just wanted to throw that out there for some thought. Re Draft Leagues are tough....its all new every season. 

Good luck !

thanks!  I know I’ll have my son and one of his buddies, who are both “A” players, but the rest is a crapshoot.  I’ve coached these boys in various sports in town long enough that I’ll probably already know half of them, but none of them will have any double wing experience.  Let the fun begin 🙂 

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3
Share: